Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carrying the kusarigama

Likes (received)

Does anyone know how the kusarigama was carried by warriors skilled in its usage? Since the Isshin ryu kusarigama has a long chain, demanding a high level of tenouchi, this must have been thought of. A sword is always carried so that it can be rapidly drawn and used, but sometimes I wonder about the kusarigama...this must have been a limiting factor.

Could it be that, if it wasn't held in the hand at the moment, it wouldn't be used at all if suddenly attacked? Could it have been an exclusive dueling-weapon? Or were there methods for rapid employment? There may have been different preparations for this in different traditions, but it must have been thought of?

Anyone?
    Regards,
    Ulf Undmark

Meik Skoss Guest

Default carrying/using a kusarigama

U. Undmark raised an interesting question regarding how the kusarigama was carried/employed in the "good ol' days." The odd thing is, it's the kind of topic that isn't discussed a lot and I have never heard any of the senior teachers speak about it.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that kusarigama is not one of the more "normal" weapons, and it was definitely *not* a battlefield weapon, especially Isshin/Shibukawa-ryu types of weapons. The chains are way too long for that kind of melee situation, nor would the morphology of the blades be very effective against armor. The kama used in Araki-ryu and Toda-ha Buko-ryu might be better suited for battlefield use, with shorter chains and blades (similar to warpicks 'n flails used in Europe), but there's no record of 'em having been used in those situations that I know about. P'raps one of my Araki-ryu friends might know about that. If you have a really abiding interest in the topic, I could ask him.

Swords were carried unsheathed, on one's shoulder (like the the "shoulder arms" position in the U.S. Army) when on the battlefield. Spears and glaives were carried that way or in a "trail arms" position, allowing for rapid manuevering. It is true, though, that this latter method of carrying (or is it "dragging"?) the weapons would lead to some damage to the "e" (haft), but that's what I have been told. It's most likely a kusarigama would have just been carried in one hand, or thrust through one's belt, and brought into use as/when needed. Again, though, use of kusarigama wasn't all that widespread and it's sort of difficult to say more than this without further research.

Koryu that still continue to practise kusarigama today are (in alphabetical order): Araki-ryu, Isshin-ryu (as subsumed within the Shinto Muso-ryu fuzoku budo), Kiraku-ryu, Masaki-ryu, Nito Shinkage-ryu, Shibukawa-ryu, Tendo-ryu, and Toda-ha Buko-ryu. There may be others, but I'm not aware of 'em.

Hope that helps.

Likes (received)

Meik,
    Don't forget Jikishinkage-ryu, although the techniques are much different from those of the other ryu.

Eric Montes

Likes (received)

I also believe that the Suio ryu teaches the kusarigama.
    The Suio ryu kusarigamajutsu *may* derive from the Masaaki ryu, but I'm not sure about this.

BTW, (this is off-topic...) has anyone here seen the Suio ryu? I'm quite curious about this ryuha.

Regards,
    Ulf Undmark

Likes (received)

Ulf:

I saw Suio Ryu demonstrated at the last kobudo demonstration at the Budokan in Tokyo. There was kusarigama in it. The kusarigama, as I remember, had a short hooked blade. I don't clearly remember how the chain was attached, but I seem to recall that it was attached to the head of the haft, just below the blade (I wouldn't swear to this). They also had paired iai-type sword stuff as I recall (interstingly, the instigator of the attack wins, as I remember).

Anyway, I am sure that Meik will know more about this, as usual.

Earl
    Earl Hartman

Richard A Tolson Guest

Ulf,
    I have trained with the kusarigama for a few decades and would agree with Meik that the kusarigama is not much of a battlefield weapon. There would be far too many obstacles on the battlefield (your fellow warriors for one) to make the weapon practical. It would be more at home with the ji-samurai or commoners down on the farm. The kusarigama was not just a Samurai weapon, by the way.
    I was trained in techniques that would have been appropriate in situations where one is defending their home against a bandit or lone samurai on foot or on horseback.
    There is one kata that teaches techniques against multiple opponents, but I believe that would be a very unique situation.
    So I think the idea of carrying the kusarigama, as into battle, is a rather mute point. However, the proper method for carrying the weapon in the dojo, at least in our tradition, is to hold the kama in the right hand with the last two fingers and thumb, while the chain is coiled around the index and middle fingers. The tips of which are then wrapped around the handle (it is not a haft) of the kama. Just teasing Meik, it can be a haft if you want!

[Edited by John Lindsey on 08-12-2000 at 02:29 PM]

Cilian McHugh Guest

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in "Ninjutsu: History & Tradition" by Dr. Maasaki Hatsumi, there is a picture of an exceptionally large Kusarigama which is described as the battlefield version of the Kusarigama.

[Edited by Cilian McHugh on 08-12-2000 at 06:28 PM]

Likes (received)

I would also agree that the kusarigama is not something one would prefer as a battlefield weapon. Also, if it *had* been a battlefield weapon, there wouldn't be no need for worrying about how to carry it. It would definitly be held in the hands in good time before closing in.

I believe the kusarigama is a weapon for individual/single combat. However, warriors specializing in this weapon would probably want to carry it (probably stuck in the belt)so that it can easily be used if danger arises.
    This would demand specific attention to how to wear the *chain*, so that it can be properly used when the weapon is needed, as in the case of sudden attack.

-"Ehhr excuse me , I think my chain is stuck somewhere here...ehr, hold on a second...".

Either the weapon wouldn't be used if suddenly attacked, or special attention to this is given (how to wear/prepare the chain for rapid employment) or the kusarigama would be used as a weapon for dueling only.
    Perhaps, there is no definite answer to this, warriors may have been more or less comfortable to rely on the kusarigama as their first weapon.

Thanx for all information,
    Ulf Undmark

BradfordE Guest

Default Suio-Ryu

Ulf

Within the 'Toho' series of MJER (5 techniques selected by the All Japan Iaido Federation representing various styles of swordsmanship) there is a kata called 'Shihogiri' that comes from the Suio-Ryu lineage.

Hope that little bit helps.

Regards

Bradford Pomeroy

Likes (received)

I've heard that the Suio ryu Iai may have it's origin in Hayashizaki ryu. Mima Yoichizaemon Kagenobu (the founder) is supposed to have learnt Iai from Sakurai Gorozaemon Naomitsu. After what I've found out, Mima trained for several different teachers, learning Urabe ryu Kenjutsu among others. I'm not sure if the paired Iai Earl mentioned has its orgin in Hayashizaki ryu, Urabe ryu or elswhere.

If there is any further info regarding Suio ryu, maybe this thread should be moved out of the Jo-forum (even though I think Suio ryu has Jojutsu as well.)

Regards,
    Ulf Undmark

Warwick Guest

This may be a little off topic, but it is related. A few people have talked about the impracticality of a kusarigama on the battlefield, and so talk about its use as a dueling weapon, and how it would be carried if used for that purpose. It seems to me that there could be another purpose for carrying a kusarigama, which could have an impact on carrying it. Here I am specifically talking about Isshin Ryu, and what I have to say may well not be as applicable to other ryu. It seems to me that the Shinto Muso ryu fuzoku budo or related ryu all have something in common (leaving aside Uchida ryu tanjojutsu which was added relatively recently, late last century.) They do not include naginata, spear or other battlefield weapons, but include jutte, kusarigama, and hojojutsu (tying methods). The bugei of the Kuroda clan in Kyushu did include such weapons, but they have not been attached to Shinto Muso ryu. It seems to me that the reason that these arts are included as part of the curriculum with a staff art, without any of the more usual battlefield weapons (except the ubiquitous sword of course) may be that they could all be used in a policing role, to subdue armed opponents without necessarily killing them. The kusarigama can be used in several non-lethal ways. The chain can entangle not just the weapon, but its user also, and the handle/haft can deliver percussive strikes. The blade is always available if circumstances suddenly require its use.

If a kusarigama were carried for this purpose, it is unlikely that it would have to be drawn unexpectedly, or quickly. The user would often have time to prepare himself and his weapon before attempting his 'arrest'. An attempted arrest of an armed, skilled opponent would (I imagine) usually be attempted by a small group, some of whom would be armed with swords etc, which could be used if the group were attacked unexpectedly, or too quickly for the kusarigama to be brought into use.

What do you think Meik?

Any other comments?

Warwick Hooke

Richard A Tolson Guest

Warwick,
    You raise some interesting points! Isshin-ryu, Jikishinkage-ryu (koryu) and Arashi-ryu (gendai) all contain techniques for binding the opponent with the chain without causing injury. However, in Isshin-ryu the haft is used primarily to redirect the path of the sword cut, rather than as a striking weapon.
    Looking forward to Meik's responce!
    Mr. Skoss,
    Can you tell us a little bit about the kusarigama methods of Toda-ha Buko-ryu?

Likes (received)

Warwick,
    Very good point. I've thought about this as well.
    And Pascal Krieger also mentions this in his book.

Shindo Muso ryu, including the fuzoku budo, appears very much to be suitable training for individuals with peace-keeping duties, such as police-officers (Yoriki, doshin) and guards.
    And here the kusarigama would have an important role!

This also explains how it would be used, in such a case.
    If the kusarigama was carried trough the belt, would you also keep the chain in the belt or would prefer any other solution for this?

Regards,
    Ulf Undmark

Likes (received)

Default Meik's out of town

Hi all,

I'm sure Meik will have something to say when he gets back in town (late Tuesday?).

Cheers,

Warwick Guest

Hi All,

I'm looking forward to Meik's contribution when he gets back. I'll hold off on further comment until then, except to say that there are several kata in Isshin ryu which contain strikes with the haft of the kusarigama (in a couple of different ways), and a number of others where there is a 'control' on the wrist which is sometimes done as a strike. There are a few where you have to be very careful not to 'accidentally' hit the swordsman with the haft, when the strike is 'supposed' to be done with the blade.

As to how exactly it would be carried when it was not in use, I have no idea. Anything I could say about it would be pure speculation, and there are other people out there much better qualified to do that than I am.

Regards

Warwick Hooke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast