Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hikaru no Go

ebachta Guest

Default Hikaru no Go

For the manga fans out there:

http://www.toriyamaworld.com/hikago/

I suggest that those who can read Japanese buy the originals (and that those who enjoy manga learn Japanese). A friend of mine recently introduced me to this series, and I'm planning to pick up the real thing on my next trip to Japan. Needless to say, I've become interested in the game as well.

Likes (received)

Wow, the go forum really died. Just wanted to say that Hikaru No Go claims another convert. My wife, who used to read the manga, got me watching the anime, now I'm learning to play go.

Got to say, I love this game. Too bad I'm really bad still, but then, I've been playing less than a month. I can beat gnugo with 2 stones handicap, but I rarely get a chance to play people.

Anyway, love the manga, and the anime, check it out if you haven't yet.

Likes (received)

I haven't taken advantage of it for myself, but a friend of mine claims that you can play Go for free with other people over Yahoo! games, presumably at www.yahoo.com . If anyone tries it out, post here and let me know how it goes, hey?

Likes (received)

I tried it out at work the other day, actually. It's not bad, but the people aren't as friendly as the people over at KGS. The only reason I tried yahoo really, was that the KGS applet doesn't work in my browser at work.

Likes (received)

Arrow

Howdy!

Sorry, Haven't been around for a while.

Side note ... Hikaru no Go has had quite the impact on the younger generation in Japan.

My nephew (in Japan) picked up Go about 6 months ago due to reading Hikaru no Go. He absolutely loves the game now and plays with the "old" folks at the local go club. He is 10 yrs old.

Sounds like what was once termed as a JiJi game (old man's game) is gaining alot of interest due to Hikaru no Go.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Likes (received)

hmmm i wonder who that person was...

anyways thanks for the link ill check it out...
    Marie Banken

Likes (received)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by burp
    ... Hikaru no Go has had quite the impact on the younger generation in Japan.
    mikehansen
    Have a look here Hikaru no Go - Boom in Japan - a BBC news story on YouTube

Leonard

Likes (received)

thanks for the link
    Robert Gurisch