Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Takenouchi Hangan Ryu

Mukeido Guest

Exclamation

Thank you Daniel. By the way my name is BRAN not Brian.

Actually not that much help in locating the current head, I'm assuming that would be Nakajima Shigeru if the ryu was passed to him making him the 6th head.

I have more questions than I started with now. Wayne Muromoto said, "The Takenouchi Hangan-ryu is an offshoot of the Takenouchi ryu. It split off during the Edo Period in a han."

That would be Owari han, but the Edo period stretched from 1603 to 1868, so when exactly would it have split? Who passed it onto Nishikawa Kyusaburo and from which line of Takenouchi ryu (sodenke, soke or Bitchu-den)?

He also said, "Although from what I recall from seeing a copy of the book years ago, it has changed the techniques quite a bit."

I have not seen the book mentioned so I can't comment on it. The reason the techniques would be different is that Nakajima Masayoshi was also the head of Kashima Shinden Chokushin Ei ryu and Washio ryu. The school also would have had some influence from Tenjin Shinyo ryu which was also taught to Masayoshi by his father.

Mukeido Guest

Hello Daniel,

No problems, I get Brian a lot unfortunately.

As I said in my initial post, "I'm especially interested in contacting the current head of the ryu as I practiced under the late Robert Smith sensei in the eighties."

I have had no contact with anyone whom I once practiced with, either here in Oz or in Japan. As far as I am now aware there are NO practitioners of Takenouchi Hangan ryu in Oz (unless you count me, myself and I). I assumed you knew that, and that was why you had no contact details for the school on your web page? I did try hunting down Ian James (held a 5th dan in Takenouchi Hangan ryu), but I think he may also have passed on.

There is a strange and elusive Japanese guy teaching Takenouchi Santo ryu down south of Sydney, but he wasn't able to help me out. In fact I got the impression he didn't know anything anyhow.

I really was hoping to find out if Nakajima Shigeru did indeed succeed as the head of the school and if I could contact him (or whom ever is the current head).

As for Kashima Shinden Chokushin Ei/Jikishinkage ryu, I've heard it referred to both ways. Tsuneyoshi Matsuno sensei referred to Kashima Shinden Chokushin Ei ryu. I do actually prefer Jikishinkage, but they are after all the same I think.

Thanks for showing an interest and for your input. Please, if there is anything else you can add I would greatly appreciate it.

Mukeido Guest

Daniel,

Oh, ok I see now, silly me. My Japanese is basic; not at all conversational. I'll give it a try though, thank you.

Mukeido Guest

Well, I called the phone number as suggested. It was for a community centre and they were unable to help me.

Back to square one.

Likes (received)

Default Takenouchi-Hangan-Ryu-Matsuno-Kan

Hi members that are interested in the school founded by Tsuneyoshi Matsuno.
    Prior to Master Matsuno'd death, he had appointed me to suceed him as headmaster of his school.
    Not as a 2nd dan in the USA has implied.
    I was Master Matsuno's most senior student holding the grade of 4th dan in Iai, 5th dan in Ju-Jutsu and head of all karate taught in his school.
    I am based in Wanneroo, Western Australia and can be contacted on
    (08) 9404 8863, Mob; 0429 439 007
    or email johnnapierwinch@yahoo.com.au
    Yours in Budo
    John Napier-Winch
    Headmaster- Takenouchi-Hangan-Ryu-Matsuno-Kan

Likes (received)

To ad more to my last post where I said the 2nd dan student of Tsuneyoshi Matsuno is not the headmaster of the school. It has come to my attention that Tsuneyoshi Matsuno also appointed him as his successor.
    A very strange thing for any instructor to do.
    As a result, even though I am the senior graded person, I am standing down as headmaster of Matsuno's school.
    It appears he was betting on all horses in the race.
    I would rather not be associated with an instructor that plays games.

John Napier-Winch
    Headmaster of the Winch-Ryu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2