Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takenouchi Hangan Ryu

Likes (received)

Default TAKENOUCHI HANGAN RYU "Bugei ju happan"

hi everybody

just wondering:
    recently I bought a book called "Bugei ju happan"
    it focuses on TAKENOUCHI HANGAN RYU.......
    do you know anything about this book/stile concerning authencity is it related to TAKENOUCHI-RYU ?

thankx
    Stefan Marcec
    Zurich, Switzerland

Likes (received)

Default takenouchi hangan-ryu

Hi. Just a quick note:

The Takenouchi Hangan-ryu is an offshoot of the Takenouchi (Takeuchi) -ryu. It split off during the Edo Period in a han (domain). I don't have my references in front of me, but that's it. Although from what I recall from seeing a copy of the book years ago, it has changed the techniques quite a bit.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

I can't give you any info on this ryu, but I was wondering where you found the book.

My teacher has an old copy of it, I thought it was pretty interesting depite the incredibly bad translation of the Japanese terms. I've tried to find one but have been unsuccesful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

Likes (received)

richard,
    i found a copy in a budostore in antwerp belgium....
    i was there for training and my friends over there showed me their budoshop........
    :=))))
    didnt find it anywhere else...
    regards

stefan marcec
    bujinkan dojo oerlikon-zh
    switzerland
    Stefan Marcec
    Zurich, Switzerland

Likes (received)

Post Takenouchi Hangan Ryu Demo

Actually if anyone if is the Osaka area, Takenouchi Hangan ryu will be giving a demonstration, and possibly hands on seminar type event for foreigners soon. Unfortunately I can't find the paper I read this in eariler this week, but I took notice of it because I have always been curious about this ryu as well. I believe this event is being held on the 25th. I am leaving the area a couple days before and unfortunately cannot attend. Regardless, the details were listed in one of the English langauge newspapers here earlier this week if anyone feels like digging up the details.

Best Regards,
    Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Default Demo

Daniel,

It wasn't an article so much as it was an notice of the event. It is basically billed as a sort of International exchange sort of deal for foreigners to try out iai and such. It is being put on by the Takenouchi Hangan ryu soke and members of the ryu. The translator (whose name escapes me) of Ju-Happan will be there as well as he is a member of the ryu and I assume will probably be the translator for the event. Actually he has written several other books in English about the Samurai and such. I have seen them floating around Kyoto here and there and have a couple of them, although they are nothing special info-wise.

Best Regards,
    Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Post Takenouchi Hangan ryu Seminar Info

The info for the seminar I mentioned above was reprinted in today's Daily Yomiuri. Here it is as it was in the paper...

Seminars

Swordsmanship: Aug. 25, 2-4pm at Kobe International Community Center in Chuo Ward Kobe. Tsuneyoshi Matsuno of the Takenouchi Hangan ryu will talk about swordsmanship in Japanese Martial Arts. Admission 730 yen. Call (078) 291-8441

The previous announcement I read mentioned something to the effect that people would be able to try it out a bit too.

Best Regards,
    Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Default Takenouchi Hangan Ryu

Hi,

Anyone know anything about this ryu? I heard that it is quite comprehensive.I heard of a teacher named T. Matsuno that teaches it in Kobe. I know that it differs from other takeuchi ryu branches. Thanks.

Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

Default Hmmm

Alohas,

Not sure if I remember seeing that ryu in any lineages my teacher has showed me. I'll ask him next time we meet.
    Regards,
    Joel

Isaiah 6:8

Likes (received)

A while ago I was given a copy of a book not so widely published called "Takenouchi Hangan Ryu: A Guide for Foriegners" or something.
    It was apparently translated by a Japanese guy out of Osaka. The person who gave the book to me was a 5th in iai, and the Hangan manual covered iai, but mentioned bo and other weapons in the intro as well as the history of Hanagan Ryu. The pix of the iai kata were nothing like any T-Ryu iai that I have ever seen (although I only have seen Bitchu-den so...), and resembled seitei iai.

I passed the book onto a friend a while ago, sorry I can't recall any more.

CK

Likes (received)

Alohas,

Interesting CKohalyk. It might be worth it to try and track down that book.
    Regards,
    Joel

Likes (received)

Alohas,

Well, I said I'd get back to you. The Hangan-ryu has a "tenuous" relationship at best with the Takeuchi family. Apparently it has been separated for long enough to develop different kata, therefore, showing little resemblence to any other Takeuchi-ryu. Lastly, Hangan-ryu was supposedly last existing on Kyushu, other than that it supposedly faded out.
    Regards,
    Joel

Likes (received)

Originally posted by hawaiianvw67
    Alohas,

Well, I said I'd get back to you. The Hangan-ryu has a "tenuous" relationship at best with the Takeuchi family. Apparently it has been separated for long enough to develop different kata, therefore, showing little resemblence to any other Takeuchi-ryu. Lastly, Hangan-ryu was supposedly last existing on Kyushu, other than that it supposedly faded out.
    Ummm, are you sure you aren't confusing this with another ryu (perhaps the Takunouchi Santo ryu also being discussed now which was based in Kyushu). Takenouchi Hangan ryu is based in the Kansai area and is historically tied to the Amaasaki area in Hyogo prefecture (again, the Kansai area fro those unfamiliar with Japan geographically). What its historical connections to Takenouchi ryu are is unclear. Supposedly the its first head gave a demonstartion of "Takenouchi ryu" in the presense of Tokugawa Yoshinori, who was impressed gave him permission to rename his art "Takenouchi Hangan ryu", which made him thus made him the first head of this new school.

Probably your best published source of information on this ryu would be the book "Bugei Ju-Happan" by Masayoshi and Shigeru Nakajima (the 5th and 6th heads of the school respectively), which was published in 1983 by Sugiyama Publishing. This book was translated into English by Tsuneyoshi Matsuno, who has translated and written a few other small books in English (the sword shop across from Nijo-jo in Kyoto often has a couple of his titles floating around) and most likely the person Erin is talking about in Kobe. From what I hear, they have had a long standing connection with the Tokugawa family, which continues up to this day. Last year this school had some sort of iai seminar for foreigners which was advertised in the Japan Times if I remember correctly. "Bugei Ju-Happan" is fairly hard to track down these days, but if you are interested in this ryu it is your best option outside of actually going and talking to members of the ryu, and it is even in English to boot . The later part of the book has alot of translations of the ryu's documents into English. The order is a little haphazard but I always found this section of the book a fairly interesting read. The remainder of it goes over their fairly broad curriculum.

Hope that helps some,

Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Alohas,

My source was my sensei, who studied Takeuchi-ryu Bitchu-den in Kyoto for quite some time. I know about the book you are referring to that was published in the early 80's. However, that is exactly what I'm referring to when I was told that the kata had changed significantly from what the Takeuchi family says is official. My sensei saw the book (I think there's a video too) and said it was real sketchy if they were claiming Takeuchi lineage. It had just changed too much to be related to any of the other Takeuchi lineages.

I also know about the Tokugawa demonstrations, however, I believe these occurred a LONG time before there was much separation amongst the ryu into particular lineages.

~Joel Simmons

PS - Perhaps I am confusing the ryu names, however, I will double-check again this week during class. However, no matter the name, the ryu that put out the book in the early 80's is the one that is significantly altered, and hard to call Takeuchi-ryu.
    Last edited by Joel Simmons; 18th September 2002 at 11:41.

Mukeido Guest

Default Takenouchi Hangan ryu

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Takenouchi Hangan ryu. I'm especially interested in contacting the current head of the ryu as I practiced under the late Robert Smith sensei in the eighties. Any info would be appreciated. I remember training with Tsuneyoshi Matsuno sensei in iai. I believe that he now heads his own branch (Matsuno ha?) focusing only on iai.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast