Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bunkai -Tekki Shodan

n2shotokai Guest

Default Bunkai -Tekki Shodan

Could someone please help with applications of a movement in Tekki Shodan.

8th hand movement, left side rising and right side in a downward punching motion.

This same movement is toward the end of Kwanku, just before the downward x-block in kiba-dachi.

As in any bunkai, the more definitions the better.

Thank you,

Steve Beale

kusanku Guest

Well, you got a couple basic interps here.

One, its a hammerlock on a guy, you have turned him and locked him around , really more of a wrist twist, the downward hand is locking, and the upaward rtises to strike down with a backfist. But thatsa a standard and incomplete analysis.

Try this one instead:You crossed his arms at the elbow, and you raise the left arm, holding his left wrist, up to throw him down to his left side, with juji garame, x arm cross throw, and you strike down onto target of opportunity with backfist.

Or , straight kick punch app:You are really in forward fighting stance, and he punches,and you block his punch and strike down with other fist, and he hooks off the punch so you raise your arm to block that and counter with uraken.

Or, he grabbed one or both of your wrists cause he is a jiujitsu man,common hazard those days as in these,and you reversed his grab and cleaned his grabing hands off by crossinfg your wrists and making the double blocking move, now you raise left hand to come above his just-removed arm, and smack.

Just for examples.Remember, in real life, one uses a natural or front fighting stance, the kiba is for strenghth and hip training, as well as flexibility and strength of ankles and knees, and to facilitate overall power.

Likes (received)

Talking Naihanchi vs Tekki shodan

John:

Best interpratation I've heard sofar.
    I've been interested in the unShotokan version of Naihanchi(sp?)
    I understand that Funokoshi Sensei changed the kata a bit.
    The orignal stance was naihachidachi, similar to fudodachi, I've been told?
    Anyone have anything on this, The bunkai I mean?

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Originally posted by kusanku
    Well, you got a couple basic interps here.

Try this one instead:You crossed his arms at the elbow, and you raise the left arm, holding his left wrist, up to throw him down to his left side, with juji garame, x arm cross throw, and you strike down onto target of opportunity with backfist.

Or , straight kick punch app:You are really in forward fighting stance, and he punches,and you block his punch and strike down with other fist, and he hooks off the punch so you raise your arm to block that and counter with uraken.

Or, he grabbed one or both of your wrists cause he is a jiujitsu man,common hazard those days as in these,and you reversed his grab and cleaned his grabing hands off by crossinfg your wrists and making the double blocking move, now you raise left hand to come above his just-removed arm, and smack.

Just for examples.Remember, in real life, one uses a natural or front fighting stance, the kiba is for strenghth and hip training, as well as flexibility and strength of ankles and knees, and to facilitate overall power.

I like your bunkai. There are numerous interpretations for this movement, but you covered both grappling and striking scenarios. Naihanchi also teaches us to use our legs for rising and sinking power. Kiba/Pai Sai Dachi for sinking and Naihanchi Dachi for rising. Naihanchi/Tekki can be thought of as ShuriTe's Sanchin kata without the forced exhalation. It also teaches the practitioner how to use the hips and legs to generate torque and power in short range striking, from various angles. The "returning wave kick" teaches low line kicking and sweeping. A signature tech of Shuri Te crosses the opponents arms up ending in a wicked throw or sweep. I like that you mentioned that in your bunkai. Naihanchi is a font of in-close fighting techniques.

Shotokan has abandoned the pigeon-toed Naihanchi stance for a horse stance. The aim isn't necessarily to be severely pigeon-toed, but to feel as though your heels are exerting pressure outwards on your legs. Pulling your thighs in while exerting pressure down and to the outside with your heels. Yeah, that's right. I think. You can do and feel this in a horse stance where your toes point forward instead of 45 degrees out. Remember that when doing Tekki.
    Bryan Cyr (pronounced "SEER")

Likes (received)

Talking lessons learned

John:
    Over the weekend I attended a Kobudo seminar. Our Kobudo instructor studies/teaches RyuKyu Kenpo and demonstrated Naihanchi, including bunkai. I have a much better understanding of where you are coming from.

This new insight allows me to practice Tekki Shodan with more purpose.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

kusanku Guest

Yeah, Guys.It is a lot easier to show the stuff than explain it on here, but when its explained and shown, both, then it gets sort of crystal clear,and it all starts to happen.

Bunkai of kata involves all levels and aspects of karate being fine tuned or nothing will work.

But given everything else working,then the techniques can be explained and practiced, and drills involving progressive resistance from partners., can be done, and priciples inculcated, till it can actually be done in self defense.

People sometimes ask me, 'So- How you really gonna do that in a sparring match?'

Answer:'I am not.In a sparring match against a trained fighter, he has his chin down, groin covered or wearing a cup, head protected and guard up.If I'm not a total dunce, so also, do I.Also, maybe we are probing opponent's defense, moving, trying to draw them out, not necessarily charging straight in on someone we don't know.We may be circling, dancing in and out, feinting, jabbing/backfisting, faking a kick, whatever.

You can't do close combat self defense on someone doing that, but you can easily escape by running away , if someone tries to attack you, then fights like that.They have to break stance or change footwork to come after you and then they are open.

But if someone grabs you, you got 'em, of they grab and try to hit you can get 'em with good timing, and if they charge you straight in, time it right and God help 'em cause you won't.:-)

Self defense ios against attacks, that start usually right in your face, fighting is against someone who comes right in cause they think they can take you.It is those two situations that the techniques derived from and taught via naihanchi/Tekki and other kata, are meant for, not scontests between two skilled and ringwise fighters.

Some people say, 'what if you just were taught all the techniques with partners, wouldn't that work and would you then need kata?' Yes it would, and no you wouldn't, but kata are a handy solo method of training to maintain and increase your skill level absent willing partners for cruncho jutsu waza.Which btw hurts like you wouldn't believe, that's kinda the point of it all.

So basically, its about practice, practice, prasctice, but then, some knowledge is also needed.

Likes (received)

Default bump

Steve Millls