Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: History of goshin jutsu

Likes (received)

Default Question

I realize that there are many postings on this subject, unfortunately the amount of time I spend on a computer is limited. So I have one question.
    In a nutshell, is Goshin Jutsu a real art?
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.
    Alec Acevedo

We Must Either Find A Way Or Make One.
    --Hannibal

Likes (received)

That Goshin jutsu was formed by a person with very limited martialart knowledge but a gift for talking, who liked to tell tall tales, behaved as a bully and who lied about his background and affiliations (including forging grade diplomas), seems to be the concensus here and on most other forums.
    It may have developed somewhat over time, gotten a few victories in tournaments and even admitted that some of the founders claims were false, but most who has had contact with it and is a current member apparently leave with a bad taste in their mouth.

What realy is a art? there is realy no good definition one way or another.
    You cannot realy say that anything is not a "real" art even if it was created yesterday, but even if it is a art it does not mean it is worth practicing or have a genuine lineage.

Most regulars would tell you to stay way clear of it and lable it as a McDojo style (=little skill of value to be taught, but charging lots of money and mouthing a lot of BS).
    Most of those regulars have _lots_ of experience, and are generaly worth listening to.
    Martin Hultgren
    Kyokushinkai, Sweden

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alec
    I realize that there are many postings on this subject, unfortunately the amount of time I spend on a computer is limited. So I have one question.
    In a nutshell, is Goshin Jutsu a real art?
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.
    Also bear in mind that there are plenty of schools that use the term Goshin jutsu that are entirely unrelated to Durant. Not forgetting Kodokan goshin Jutsu, which is the self defence portion of the judo syllabus.

I would hazard a guess that Durant's goshin jutsu is limited to the US, and if you see the term elsewhere, it's likely to be something else.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Wink rank

I find the current situation for goshin jutsu/Durant controversy to be quite ironic. Reading through this post there is a controversy brewing over the legitimacy of rank. One of the current grandmasters/Capela (LOL) of Durant’s goshin are complaining about other goshin masters( LOL) claiming senior rank, and the silly title of “master” considering there poor technical skills.

http://www.defendwithhonor.com/news.html
    Goshin Jutsu Dai Soke Speaks Out on Goshin Jutsu Ranks and Promotions
    In respones to Mr. Rex Aikens recent claims to a promotion to 9th Dan Goshin Jutsu Karate, Goshin Jutsu Dai Soke, Mr. Matt Durant made the follwoing statement:
    Just to make sure that everyone knows what my personal opinion is on this "promotion", I decided to make the following statement. I agree 100% with Mr. Capela's assessment of the situation.

I know there are several factions of Goshin Jutsu out there. The first being Mr. Capela's faction, which of course I, along with any other true Goshinist will recognize. That recognition also would include Mr. Capela's ranking (10th Dan). There are many other claims, but I know for fact that Mr. Capela was the senior student under Grand Master Durant.

The second faction was the Union City faction, which was left to Mr. Fife. I recognize this faction, and Mr. Fife’s ranking. I was present and a witness to this faction being left to Mr. Fife, and his ranking from Grand Master Durant.

Lastly, was the faction that I was left. This faction was meant to be completely separate from the others. It was "Goshin Jutsu International." When I was first left the faction as many know, I stepped aside from this and told Mr.Capela that he could take over International if he so wished. I have since restructured it as the "Goshin Jutsu Ryu Budo Kai". I have and intend to keep this faction seperate, while still maintaining contact with Mr.Capela and his faction. I DO NOT claim the title of Grand Master. I still use the title of "Dai Soke" or second generation of the Founder. I claim this title only so that it keeps me away from all the politics of ranking.

There are several other factions where others have claimed 10th Dans, or the title of Grand Master. I recognize none of these as legitimate. If they want to claim those titles and ranks, then they should at least quit claiming it in Goshin Jutsu. Do like so many others have done and call it something else. You cannot give yourself rank in Goshin Jutsu when there are seniors above you. Your students cannot promote you to any rank when there are seniors still active. Call what you do anything you want, just not Goshin Jutsu. It's no wonder there is so much controversy over Goshin Jutsu. As long as people do things like this, it gives all the pain in the butt "critics" more ammunition. Use your head.

Goshin Jutsu Dai Soke

Matt Durant
    Goshin Jutsu Promotion?
    It has been reported on several Goshin Jutsu Karate web sites (site 1) (site 2) (site 3) that Master Rex Aikens of Spartansburg, PA has been promoted to the rank of Kudan (9th degree black belt) and has assumed the title of Grand Master.

When informed of this promotion, Grand Master Stephen Capela, Judan (10th degree blackbelt) Goshin Jutsu Karate, issued the following statement.

“This is a self promotion and is not recognized by the Goshin Jutsu Karate Yudan Shakai. Mister Aikens's students cannot promote him. His highest ranking student is a Yodan (4th degree blackbelt). There are many much higher ranking students in the Goshin Jutsu Karate system that do not recognize Mister Aikens as a 9th dan.”

The irony comes from the fact that Jerry Durant promoted/gave himself a blackbelt with only a few months of any formal training, life funning it’s it! Also it was Jerry Durant’s students who promoted him to 10th dan (http://user.mc.net/~hugh/Durant.htm) Now Matt Durant is claiming to be a “ dai soke’, if memory serves me right, there is no such phrase in the Japanese language as ‘ dai soke’ , the correct term is ‘soke dai’, meaning:

http://www.furyu.com/onlinearticles/Defs2.html

“But in this case, the word dai in Japanese is not the character for "big," but "in place of." Thus, a shihandai or soke-dai or soke-dairi means "someone who teaches in temporary place of" the main instructor, for certain reasons, such as the incapacity of the soke due to injuries or illnesses, etc.”

Theses goshin folks claim of legitimacy is as comical as the supposed claims to traditional Budo and sense of having any kind of technical skill. Clueless people will always follow the road of stupidly no matter where it leads.
    " The FUTURE is UNWRITTEN,KNOW YOUR RIGHTS"
    The Clash.

Likes (received)

Default Am I wasting my time?

I recently started learning Goshin Jitsu. My Sensei was taught by Jerry Durant. Am I wasting my time and money learning this style, or lack there of ? There is a Hapkido Tae Kwon Do school in my area, would that be in my better interest. I don't mind learning Goshin Jitsu as long as it's effective, but if i'm not getting power from my strikes and things of that nature I don't want to continue. Thanks in advance.

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

You may be wasting your time if you don't sign your real name on all of your posts. Many people won't answer till you follow the rules of the forum.

In my opinion, after reading the history of Durant and his made up style; wasting time- if you want training in a trad Jap/Okinawan art, yes. If you want training in a good freestyle karate system- yes. People who start with a lie rarely do much good with it.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Default Goshin Jitsu

For those of you that have tapes, and certificates and proof, is there a way that I can get a copy please, and/or post the certificates on this website or a website of your choice so that the proof is out there and there can be little dispute. Thank you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4