Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kojo-Ryu

Rocket Guest

Default Kojo-Ryu

All,

I'm looking for anyone with any actual training in Kojo-Ryu. I've trained in Miyazato Eiko's Koho-Ryu which includes a couple Kojo kata. Looking for someone I could compare notes with.

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs

Kojo Ryu is one of those lesser known styles in Okinawa as well as outside Okinawa but it has some very interesting aspects.
    From what I have read it is very different from most othe Karate found on Okinawa.
    I have yet to see anyone on this BB that has trained in that system but it would be interesting to know more about it in specifics.

Rocket Guest

Default Kojo-Ryu

All,

Miyazato's kenpo (Koho-Ryu) contains two kata said to be of Kojo-Ryu origin. They are Hakuryu (White Dragon) and Hakuko (White Tiger). I believe these are the same kata as Hakuryu-ken and Hako-ken in the Kojo-Ryu syllabus. Miyazato Eiko married into the Kojo family.

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs

Likes (received)

Default kojo...

Hmmm, is this a legit system? Is it the real Kojo family system? I think Yabiku Takaya claims to be a 9th dan in the "Kojo" family system. From what I've heard he only studied with Kojo Shigeru for 2 years. He did study with the current Grandmaster Irimaji Seiji from 1976 to the present, though. From what I understand Irimaji Sensei changed the name from Kojo Ryu to Koshin Ryu. Chuck Chandler, an unusual fellow with a questionable MAs training history, heads the International division of Koshin Ryu.

I dunno. If you studied under someone who taught the original Kojo forms then you might have a hard time finding an instructor. I don't know if Irimaji's system teaches kata similar to what you have previously learned. Good luck in your search.
    Bryan Cyr (pronounced "SEER")

Rocket Guest

Default Kojo-

Bryan,

Rocket Guest

Talking Kojo-Ryu

Bryan,

Oops! Fat fingered the keys again....

If you refer to John Sells' latest book you can find Miyazato Eiko and his Koho-Ryu referenced several times.

Will continue looking for Kojo-Ryu practitioners. Thanks for wishing me luck.

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Rocket

While I cannot comment on Miyazato's Kenpo (Koho-Ryu), I can offer comment on Yabiku Takaya's and Irimaji Seiji's Kojo-Ryu/Koshin Ryu. I filmed all six Kojo-Ryu Kata on video being performed by Yabiku Takaya whilst on Okinawa and would be happy to share this footage with you should you wish! The Kojo-Ryu Hakutsuru is quite interesting and contains a unique spinning body-change technique.

As For Chuck Chandler, well all I can say is he has made several "creative" and impractical changes to the forms of Yabiku Takaya.

Looking forward to hearing from you if I can be of some help.

Regards,

Ron Goninan
    Ron Goninan
    "Treat your fellow E-Budo members with respect."

Rocket Guest

Default Kojo-Ryu

Ron,

Have sent you a private e-mail.

Thank You!

"Rocket"

Roy J. Hobbs

Likes (received)

Ron,

I am interested in the Kojo Ryu videos you filmed. Would you be willing to share with me?

Steve Lodge

Likes (received)

Steve,
    You may do better to send an email as Ron has not signed in for a couple of months, so there's no telling when he may check the forum. If you click on his user name, one of the options that come up is "send email".

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"