Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Back pain. Big pain.

Likes (received)

Default Back pain. Big pain.

I could have posted this to the health forum, but I think this is
    more or less a judo/bjj specific problem.

I often, during newaza randori, get into the position where I lie
    on my back and control the opponent with my legs while searching for an armlock/choke and it seems that even though I don't always actively seek to get into this position, I very often end up in it.

Now I've noticed, that for the past year or so, this has given me great pain in my lower back, just above the hipbone. Sometimes, a day after trainin, I can barely walk.

Has anyone had the same kind of a problem and has anyone any idea what to do with it?

Tuomas Peltomäki

MarkF Guest

Back problems often are difficult to pin down. They can be in any part of the back, including the neck, but the injury may actually be in a completely different area of the back. Yours is in the sacral area, it seems, but could really be coming from a bit higher, the most common are of the back, the lumbar region.

I hurt my back, at first the L-4,5 or Lumbosacral the disc between L-4 and 5. Today, I've added another disc, S-2, just about where yours seems to be. It may have been hurt at a different time and it wasn't noticed right away, but it was caused originally by making a simple mistake in movement, picking up something of medium weight (done correctly) then forgetting and turning my upper body without turning the whole. No pain, but I felt a kind of sickening warmth. The next day I was in the hospital. Anyway, after trying most everything I had surgery (about a year later).

I couldn't begin to guess what caused the pain you now experience, but my guess would be something like me. You caused pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing the muscle to spasm around the area of that nerve or one near by. IE, a pinched nerve. This can travel the gamut of back injuries, from simple muscle strain, to a bulging disc to complete rupture (slipped or herniated disc). More likely, it is something less severe and will go away if you treat it correctly and take it easy.

Some general advice would be to try sleeping on the floor. If you can't sleep due to the hardness, get an "egg crate" mattress (made of foam and looks like an egg crate). Rest the back, use ice or heat (heat is better for the inflammation), take two or three aspirin or Advil at appropriate time spans.

After that, if you can find the center of where the pain is coming, especially if radiating down the legs or backside, injections of Novacaine or other anesthetics can help. This is pretty drastic, but if you can find the target, it just feels so good.

Try moving, such as bending forward and backward slowly to find just what activity hurts. Move side to side as well. See which way causes the pain. You are half-way there (and a lot less expensive than a doctor would charge for the same thing).

Most people are afraid of being their own doctor, but this is probably what you would go through if you did go to one. Most don't really require that kind of medical intervention as just what I've said here is common for diagnosis.

I won't go any further since you shouldn't get advice on the Internet, but avoid what does bring on pain (if it happens after working out, you may have to stop for a while, or change the way you train for a bit). While most back problems are minor, you want to act conservatively so as not to make the problem worse. Going to a sports medicine doctor will probably get you the correct physical therapy, other alternative types work just as well (you won't hear that from most doctors, but the percentage of those who get relief from any type of treatment is about the same).

It did interfer with my training for a while, as I had to pick and choose from practicing nage waza to throws which kept my back straight such as O soto gari. And actually, I improved my newaza a bit because I felt a lot better on the floor, front or back. You can experiment but don't push it too much. Stay off your back (except when sleeping, but if that isn't working after a few days to a week, you can stop that as well).

Anyway, take it easy and think it through. What seems sensible usually is. If your back hurts doing certain types of activities, modify them. If it hurts more resting than when you are active find exercises which suit you. Sleep on your side with a pillow or a piece of foam between your knees. I do that today, and I hurt my back in the 1970s.

Anyway, I hope something here helps, but it is what it is and remember where you got it.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 26th September 2002 at 11:42.

Likes (received)

I got my back pain from Judo - had to give it up as twisitng out of groundwork holds just made it worse. I sleep on a hard floor and exercise my waist as equally as I can in all directions - sit ups / back arches, stretches, twists etc. One has to be careful with exercise as actually, it can lead to a worse problem if one muscle group is stronger than another. Light exercise is best. I have also read that the cause of most lower back pain is a result of incorrect exercise, or posture - self inflicted - over a long period of time. So, if you do hundreds of sit-ups and don't compensate, you may be on your way to future back pain. Do the exercisies in the morning and you'll feel better all day - well, it works for me. In training - don't brakefall until really warmed up.

Rupert Atkinson

Likes (received)

Thanks for the replies mates, I'll have to seek out a sports physio, a thought which never occured to me before. The regular work/school physiotherapists didn't quite get my problem.

Tuomas Peltomäki

Likes (received)

Hello Tuomas

First of all you must find the cause of your pain. If you don't you wont solve the problem, it'll show up again in spite of any treatment. Right now you believe it is mainly caused by the way you conduct your ne waza but you should ask your sensei to observe your moves more closely. LOts of judokas have injuries and they don't really know why. Make sure you perfom your uchi komi properly their are really killers if not done correcly.

Martin Durette

Likes (received)

Rest the back, use ice or heat (heat is better for the inflammation), take two or three aspirin or Advil at appropriate time spans.

Mark, I agree with all the advice except the heat. Heat causes things to expand. An inflammed area is already expanded. Heat will provide some relief while it is on, but may cause more pain several hours later. Ice is better. My wife is a chirpractor. She will back me up, no pun intended.

Peace
    Dennis
    Dennis P. Mc Geehan
    Everyday presents new challanges and opportunities to learn!