Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Triangle choke

'renso Guest

Default Triangle choke

Hello,

I am trying to improve my sankakujime (triangle choke) from the "guard".

The most common defense is standing up, and getting me to stand on the back of my neck... not a great base, and my neck is only so much flexible . I usually try to control uke's legs to keep them far from me, to avoid being crushed from an advantageous angle, then taking uke down to one side; or, pivoting and going with my head between uke's legs, to have his own weight make him roll forward.

What are other common counters to the counter (standing up and putting pressure on the neck)?

Thanks

hector gomez Guest

Default Hope this helps

Lorenzo,
    I know this sounds very basic but applying pressure behind ukes head with both hands at times might cause uke to break his straight up posture making it easier to control uke from putting pressure on your neck at times,this will also prevent him from acquiring a straight up posture.

I try to reach across and grab uke elbow and bring it across his chest while my outside hands controls the back of his head once my legs are locked into sankaku the strentgh,power and leverage of your legs will make it easier to control even a bigger man,I can apply pressure with both hands on the back of ukes head at this time.

I find that the more these steps are in place the less he is able to stack me or put pressure on my neck,hope this helps

Hector Gomez

Ed Beneville Guest

'renso,

My suggestion is basically the same as Shojin's. When you control the leg, grap your own lapel if you are wearing a gi. Also feel for chances to sweep him using the leg of which you have control.

'renso Guest

Thank you for all the suggestions, folks.

Tim Cartmell Guest

Here's another suggestion (better if you have longer legs): As soon as you triangle your legs behind the opponent's neck (say you have the opponent's right arm in, your right foot hooked under your left knee), hook the top of your left ankle underneath the opponent's right knee as he begins to stand (you can grab his right ankle with your left hand to help pull yourself in). If you get the hook in, it will be impossible for the opponent to stand up.

'renso Guest

Tim,

that sounds... awkward, I actually have long legs compared to my buddies, but not THAT long... anyway I'll try, I guess it's just a matter of seizing the right moment.

I must say that I'm glad to have some brazilian jiu jitsu practicioners here to pose my questions, as a newaza-fond judo student (thanks to my teacher who doesn't care about competition strategies), with absolutely no access to live BJJ teaching.

Yeah I know I should buy the book

hector gomez Guest

Default sankaku(triangle) & spider guard

I really like to work sankaku off the spider guard,since the spider guard entails having both of my feet on both of ukes biceps or shoulders while I grip both of ukes end sleeves, I find alot more opportunities to shoot a leg thru over a shoulder as I pull a sleeve down to secure the triangle.

I do not have a great spider guard,but I realize that this position creates more opportunities for sankaku as long as I don't show my real intentions,also I am hoping someone can suggest methods of keeping the spider guard intact after my weak sleeve grip is broken?
    or any ideas concerning the spider guard/sankaku connection.

Thanks

Hector Gomez

Likes (received)

Default set ups for spider guard

How about ways to get into the spider guard? I find I set it up by putting one knee in a bicep and then sliding my leg from there, into the crook of the arm. So far, I have been taught only to hold one arm like this, and use the other on the hip or leg to set up a sweep. Of course, I have only been doing judo and jiujitsu for 2 years, so this might just be lack of experience.

Evan Cantor
    Idigjudo

ttt for Hector & Evan's questions (setting up spider-guard and maintaining it if grip is broken)

Cheers,

Mike

Ed Beneville Guest

Hector,

As for keeping the spider guard intact:

1. Don't overgrip when you do have it. Remain sensitive to what your opponent is doing and only increase the power of your grip as need be. Use your fingers to grip and not your thumbs.

2. If you grip does get broken do not leave your arm (or leg for that matter) hanging out in the breeze. Grab something, the lapels are usually a good option. You need to keep busy or you are going to get passed. If you do not have a grip, you probably don't have much control with your foot either. What you do, of course, depends on what your opponent is doing. As a general rule, however, you need to keep contact with at least 3 of your 4 limbs while in open guard. "Forward" snake movement is key to this sort of game.

Also, do not over commit to the spider guard. Switch in and out of it as opportunity dictates. It is much more effective if it is used as an element of the open guard.

Ed.

Ed Beneville Guest

Evan,

You can control both arms at once with the spider guard also. You would do so to help off balance an opponent at which point you would let free at least one of your feet for an attack.

As for setting up the spider guard it is an opportunity which will present itself once you open your guard. The opportunity also arises when your opponent tries standing passes. This is particularly the case when your opponent tries to hold your gi pants near the knees. parrying your legs is key. Practice circling both ways: over the top, and from underneath.

Also, with open guard, you need to try to think of your feet like hands. That conceptualization by itself does a lot to help some people.

Hope that helps.
    Ed.

hector gomez Guest

Ed,

Thanks for the advice,This is something I am working on right now inorder to Help develop the feel and circular movements of the legs for maintaining and repostioning of the spider guard.

Especially when fighting a strong fighter that can constantly break a sleeve grip.I find that the feel and circualar motion of the legs is what keeps you safe and out of danger of getting passed.

Before when I basically only had a closed guard and was not confident with the open guard,the strong players would usually push down hold the legs down and pass.

I feel that since the spider guard is up higher in the guard the strength of the legs is better utilized to prevent the opponent from passing.

Your advice on feel and sensitivity is great this is part of the game I am really working on.

I found the "wall training drill" to be a great asset for the spider guard don't know the name of the drill but basically you face a wall with your butt on the ground almost touching the wall.I start with the bottom of my feets on the wall,as I move my legs I turn my body and try to spin & turn on my shoulders and fall back into the same postion once I have done a full rotation(I practice going both ways),Sorry about the terrible explanation.does anyone know the name of this drill?

I found this drill to be helpful in practicing the repositioning of the spider guard and even when it seems that the oppponent is passing one can usually turn on shoulders to and fall back into guard.

Hector Gomez

PSon't know if I made any sense.
    Last edited by hector gomez; 14th May 2003 at 18:01.

Ed Beneville Guest

Hector,

I know exactly what drill you are talking about. I do it myself. There is no official name for it so feel free to make one up.

Here's a variation: when you get to the point where you are fully inverted, go back the way you came instead of continuing over.

hector gomez Guest

Ed,

I sometimes feel that when playing the spider guard almost every move my opponent makes,requires me to make a circular movement with either leg in order to adjust and stay one step ahead of my opponents intentions.

Should this be the spider guards strategy as I look for submissions?

Thanks

Hector Gomez