Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenjin Shinyo ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Robert

We were the only 2 Gaijin Demonstrating at the Shimogama Temple and my father was invited to take part and perform techniques of TSR by invitation of Kubota Sensei.

Lee

I am talking about the people sitting in the Tea Room.......there are about 3 or 4 people in that photo that I met at the Budo Seminar in Chiba. The caption on the photo says: "After the 4 day taikai......tea time."

The Japanese guy on the far left, Alex Bennet in the center and the Chinese guy (forgot his name) who is 4th from the right.

Are you familiar with Tony Cundy........he used to be a student of Ten Jin Shinyo ryu.

Likes (received)

Robert

Yes,I am familar with Tony Cundy.

regards

Lee

Likes (received)

In fact all except for two of us in that pic are regulars at the Budo Seminar. The other two (The two Germans sitting between Mike and me who I cannot for the life of me remember their names) will probably be there next year.

That's me 4th from the left, and second from the right (you can't really see his face) is Greg Robinson. Randy Channell is taking the pic. This is in his tearoom after the Kendo/Koryu fests that day.

Chad-

Originally posted by CKohalyk

That's me 4th from the left, and second from the right (you can't really see his face) is Greg Robinson. Randy Channell is taking the pic. This is in his tearoom after the Kendo/Koryu fests that day.

Chad-
    I guess we have met then......you look familiar anyway.
    Are you going next year?
    I haven't been for 2 years. Got sick one year and wasn't interested in going the other.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Robert Rousselot

I guess we have met then......you look familiar anyway.
    Are you going next year?
    I haven't been for 2 years. Got sick one year and wasn't interested in going the other.
    You got sick when Otake-sensei came? Shame... Unfortunately I was in Canada at the time, so I share your pain. Last year wasn't so good, except for the Kobori Ryu. I was there three years ago, we may have met then. I will probably be there next year (unless a business trip has be off in Kyushu or Germany or something...). Many regulars aren't going to be coming next year. Tony and Derek won't be there, and there was even talk of Alex not making it! (We'll see) Me, Randy and Greg will all probably be there. Also Pat Kell, I am not sure about Hamish (new wife and all). That is pretty much our Kansai crew.

Hope to see you there!

The last couple of times I did go I was kind of hesitant about it since the quality has gone down since they first started having those seminars.

The lectures have pretty much turned into a big joke............very few lectures of interest or even worth have been given.
    The "kyusho" was the biggest joke that comes to mind.
    The guest demonstrators have been hit and miss. Otake was a definite "hit". Which sadly I missed because of the flu.......I heard you guys got sick on the oysters too.
    There have been a few other "hit" ........some others have been a down right embarrassment.
    Speaking as a Karateka I can safely say the karate instruction is down right crap.............let's practice gyakuzuki for an hour
    I hope they do bring Higaonna over next year to give them a badly needed shot in the arm.

If I go I have basically resigned my self to training with my friends by day and becoming a drunken mess a night.

(sorry for the thread drift guys......if you want to talk about htis more shoot me an email)

Likes (received)

Default Kitoryu and Tenjin shinyoryu schools in U.S.A. ?

Friends,

Would anyone know if their are any legitimate Kitoryu and Tenjin shinyoryu Jujutsu schools in the U.S.A. ? When I say legitimate I mean instructors who have ranks in these arts and registered with the appropriate hombu or organization in Japan...Not someone wh has Judo ranking and therefore claims these other titles..I have seen people list high dan ranks in both of these Jujutsu systems on the internet and have tried to contact them in the past but no reply...I also know someone in New York claiming or at least he did several years ago high dan rank in Tenjinshinyoryu Jujutsu( 5th dan...In my opinion very questionable...

Thank You

Barry E. Southam

Likes (received)

Hi Barry!

As far as I know there is no legitimate Kito-ryu and Tenjin Shinyo-ryu ju-jutsu in USA...There could of course be some people that have learned some Tenjin Shinyo-ryu or Kito-ryu but not have any licenses to teach it...

Kito-ryu is suppossed to still exist in Japan in two branchs (how complete I don't really know).

Tenjin Shinyo-ryu exist only in Japan, England and Australia...There is a Calvin D. Lester that claims to have earned the required license to teach the entire system, but according to some people on the net he have only the lowest licens in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu and therefore no right to teach it.

Regards,
    Tommy

MarkF Guest

Barry,
    How is it that I know where you are going with this?

I once trained in, what today would be called a "study group" but back in about 1970 and no one was graded with the dan-i system, but closed after a year, due to a lack of interest. In fact, no one in that school had anything more than the equivelent of mokuroku status. I believe that was the status of the highest ranking of the students. The others were not graded including myself. Apparently, it was allowed to gather by the honbu in Japan. I didn't ask many questions, but considering that no one claimed a grade except for the one who had lived in Japan, it was most likely legitimate. Never say never, but that's my story...and I'm sticking to it.

Our friend in NY claims higher rank these days in something he calls Shin Tenshin shinyo ryu. I believe it was 7-dan. He took his web site off-line when it was discovered, saying it was for students only.

I believe you know who the claimed teacher was (Horikawa?)

Mark

I forgot. It was kito-ryu.

Likes (received)

Mark,

this sounds interresting...Could you tell us a little more about the training...? Were there techniques from the Koshiki no Kata? From what I have heard the techniques from Koshiki no Kata was the central Kata in Kito-ryu...According to Serge Mol's book the names of the techniques in Koshiki no Kata is identical to the Jin no Maki-scroll of Kito-ryu...

Regards,
    Tommy

Likes (received)

Dear Barry

Tenjin Shinyo Ryu as followed by the Tenyokai (Japan) headed by Kubota Sensei has the following grades :-

Shoden,Chuden,Mokuroku,Menkyo,Menkyo Kaiden.

There are no Dan grades (ie 5th Dan) in Traditional Tenjin Shinyo Ryu.
    There are only two Menkyo's in the west George Marton in Australia and Paul Masters in England,the latter being the only westerner to be taught the Gokui Jodan of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu.

So beware of any school claiming to teach Tenjin Shinyo Ryu who are offering a Dan grade system.

Regards
    Lee Masters (Tenjin Shinyo Ryu-Chuden).

P.S.
    Happy New Year Tommy and everyone at E-Budo.

Likes (received)

Friends,

Mark, I won't mention the man in New York that we know who claimed to be one of only 17 outside of Japan with 5 th dan or maybe with any rank in Tenjinshinyoryu Jujutsu.Under who he claimed to be the headmaster of the system and studied with in the early 1980's
    " The Famous Okazaki "....Ha! Ha!
    ( Almost positive of the following name)
    There is a man named Bruce Brethers and another who in the past had listed under their credentials as having high dan ranks in both Kitoryu Jujutsu and Tenshin shinyoryu jujutsu...I think they are under the United States Jujutsu Assoc., if I remember correctly...In the past I tried to e mail him but received no response...Maybe he didn't get it...All I wanted to know is information on schools and instructors in the USA if any, and what legitimate Kitoryu and Tenshin shinyoryu Jujutsu organization he is connected to in Japan..
    I'll look again under that website and I think I have the organization's title right but maybe it's Federation and not Association...Oh well, I don't think I was rude to inquire about information on arts they listed under credentials...
    Not that important but since you don't see those listings in Kitoryu and Tenshin shinyoryu, it's a surprise...Resulting in wanting to inquire about things...
    I did hear of a man and read his website who supposedly studied under Shihan Kubota and has a school at a college in Camden New Jersey....Forgot the name!!!!!!!!!
    If he's credible, he should contact the man in New York and discuss who the true current headmaster of the system is...

Thanks for everyones reply, I appreciate it..

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

Likes (received)

Friends,

I looked at the website again that listed the two men with Kitoryu and Tenshin shinyoryu Jujutsu credentials and the correct name is " United States Ju Jitsu Federation "...
    Col. Bruce Brethers is the President and CEO of the organization and has an impressive list of credentials to include:

8 th dan Kitoryu Jujutsu, Hirosaki Jujitsu Academy, Japan
    7 th dan Tenshin shinyoryu Jujutsu, Hirosaki Jujitsu Academy

Also a Mr. Charles Voerster has included in his credentials:

6 th dan Kitoryu Jujitsu
    6 th dan Tenshin shinyoryu Jujitsu

These ranks in Jujutsu are very impressive...

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

Likes (received)

Lee,

Do you think it's possible for two individuals from the USA to have high dan ranks in Kitoryu and also Tenjin shinyoryu Jujutsu ? Especially since neither one is found over here and we end up finding two people involved in both of these rare arts..
    You also made mention that in Tenjin shinyoryu there is no Dan system.. Could it be possible that someone in Japan broke away from the organization and started there own organization and has been awarding rank as she/he sees fit ? Are their others in Japan claiming title of headmaster of Tenjin shinyoryu Jujutsu ? They must be pretty high in credentials to award a rank of 6,7, and 8 th Dan!!!!

Lee, I heard that Kubota is a high dan holder in Kodokan Judo and is at the Kodokan in some capacity...Due to his credentials in Tenjin shinyoryu, do you think he openly teaches or holds seminars at the Kodokan in Tenjin shinyoryu Jujtusu ?
    I think it would be nice to have both Kitoryu and Tenjin shinyoryu Jujutsu have a dept. developed at the Kodokan for training..

A few years ago somehow I obtained a flyer for a martial artist's seminar and it had Kitoryu credentials listed....Well, after talking to the man, it turned out that since he had a Judo background he also used the word Kitoryu...

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast