Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenjin Shinyo ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Dear Chad,

While the details Charles kindly posted above are the most recent available, you might find contacting George Marton-sensei by telephone to be the most reliable means of reaching him.

Best,
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Chad,

I'm a student of George Marton's teacher, Kubota Toshihiro Sensei. If you are still interested, please drop me a message.

Regards,

Likes (received)

Default Very late UK information.

Very late to the thread, having only just found this site, and the information is obviously of no use the original poster, but others may find this of interest or help.....

The only part of the UK where the Art was taught in the traditional style was in the Liverpool/Wirral/Chester/North Wales region, and as far as I am aware there are no longer any active Dojos.

Background:-

An Englishman from Liverpool named Jack Brittain served in the Far East during military sevice - he enrolled in a Dojo under the tutelage of a Sensei named (possibly), as I'm dredging my memory back some 30 years here, Haiiki or Aiiki, just outside Kitami in Hokkaido Prefecture.

At the time of his return to the UK (mid-1950s) he was invited to open a Dojo, which he did in 1956. (Liverpool at the time had a massive Martial Arts heritage - apart from Chinatown, where there were numerous Academies, Senseis Enoida and Kanazwa introduced Shotokan Karate, the famous Red Triangle Dojo opened, Sensei Ezra introduced Aikido, and tournaments in Judo, Thai Boxing, Kendo, GrecoRoman wrestling, and Boxing, were all held in the City on a very regular basis. Visiting sailors to the port also brought various styles to the city dojos.

Due to the intensity of the training, very few students advanced very far, and at the time of Jack Brittains' death, only one student, Jimmy Pape, was judged to be sufficiently advanced to continue teaching the Art.

At some stage a belt grading system had been introduced, based on the Judo sytem in force at the time - apparently this was not appreciated by the practitioners in Japan, but was eventually accepted for Western use only (again this is anecdotal - no paperwork, letters, etc are available to confirm or deny this).

What is indisputable is that when J Pape (an insurance salesman) was transferred to Chester he immediately opened "The School of Tenshin Shinyo Ryu Ju Jutsu" at the Oddfellows Hall in the city centre. The newspaper clippings of Jack Brittain were attached to the notice board (Liverpool Post and Echo, still going, so that may be an area for further research if anyone has any interest in that direction), along with the Certicate of Teaching and Instruction for J Pape (signed by J Brittain and two sets of Japanese characters, probably names, as all higher level gradings were witnessed by 3 instructors) and a Letter of Authorisation for the dojo (source unknown).

From the opening to the closure of the dojo in 1985 a large number of people started training, with the vast majority dropping out within 12 months. A small number eventually gained Shodan or higher grade, some opening clubs in the area, and at one stage there were dojos in Chester, Boughton, Doddleston, Ellesmere Port, Queensferry, Saltney, Mollington, Ruthin, and St Asaph. Some instructors were also involved in training the local Police forces in baton techniques and self-defence. Several members were very active in the NightClub Door Security area, and some had contracts with Police forces training, but again details are hard to recall.

The group declined to join the BMA or the BJJA, staying loosely affiliated with individual Dojos in Japan, on one occassion a Chester student (Derek Fairhurst) spent some time in a Japanes dojo, bringing back a number of previously unseen techniques. There were also visitors to the Chester Dojo from South Africa, Australia, and Belgium, all with letters of introduction, so presumably there are/were Dojos teaching the style in those countries. All Dan grades were recorded and sent to Japan for ratification.

As far as I am aware there are no dojos still active in the region - Senseii Pape died over 10 years ago after moving his Dojo to Saltney, Derek Fairhurst may still have connections with Japan and Mollington (his club was named Tajima Ju Jitsu, and I believe he also published a small students training manual), and I have had no contact with any of the other Senseiis since closing my Dojo in 1990 (double kneee surgery, declining student numbers, and massive insurance costs combining to force closure!).

I no longer train, other than basic exercises and kata, purely for personal fitness.

A list of those I can recall who attained Dan Grades:-

Barry Williams
    Colin Williams
    Norman Jones
    Derek Fairhurst
    Keith Grafton
    Ronnie Jones
    John Ling
    Richard ?
    Keith Reddy
    Dave ? (aka Curly Dave)
    Ricky Blundell
    Tim Roberts
    Tony McCrave

There were also at least 3 Dan grades in North Wales (under Senseii Barry Williams, including one female, but I can't recall any names other than Martin ?) and one Junior at Chester.

Please excuse the ramblings, but the details, such as they are, may help someone interested in the background and origins of this dynamic and effective style of Ju Jitsu.

In closing, a quote remembered over 30 years from a visiting Instructor:-

"There is no perfect martial art - or there would be only one martial art. The best anyone can hope for is to find an art and style that suits their build and personality, and then find an instructor who of that style who is willing to teach them. The rest is up to the student."

T McCrave

Likes (received)

Derek Fairhurst was a student of Kubota Toshihiro, Shihanke of Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu in the mid-1980's. This probably accounts for the unseen techniques, since he lived in Japan for a number of years and recieved Shoden Kirigami Menjo (The first licence recieved in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu).

Likes (received)

Thank you for the information on Derek - he would have been in his early twenties when he travelled to Japan?

The new techniques were mainly kwoppo and atemi based, but he also brought back the first sword kata that we had seen, and several new bone manipulation techniques.

The booklet he published was called Ju Jutsu - The Science The Art, or possibly Tenshin Shinto Ryu Ju Jutsu - The Science The Art

Further snippets recalled:

- The spelling was variable, sometimes Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, at others Tenshin Shinto Ryu, or various combinations of the two, but the correspondence always had the first version on the letterhead.

- the Chester dojo had a banner with Japanese characters said to translate as "With thy weight and strength I will overcome".

- there was some contact with the USA after one of the North Wales students worked there for 6 months under the "Camp America" scheme (possibly with someone named Walter, or Wally, Jay?)

- one of the Chester courses also had a visit from a Japanese Instructor who was in the UK at a seminar in London (1982?) and travelled to Chester, who professed to have no English and spoke only Japanese, and also took no notice of the belt system, but taught the entire group the same two techniques........for six hours.

regards and respect

Tony McCrave

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by t-mac
    Thank you for the information on Derek - he would have been in his early twenties when he travelled to Japan?
    Quite possibly. I have never met the gentleman in question. I have only heard of him via Kubota sensei.

- The spelling was variable, sometimes Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, at others Tenshin Shinto Ryu, or various combinations of the two, but the correspondence always had the first version on the letterhead.
    Tenjin Shinyo-ryu is the correct way of writing it according to the Japanese pronunciation of the ryuha, not to mention in historical documents, where furigana (Small hiragana sometimes used in texts to indicate the correct Pronunciation of a term) shows that it is pronounced "Tenjin" and not "Tenshin".
    天神真楊流 (てんじんしんようりゅう) Tenjin Shinyo-ryu.

- one of the Chester courses also had a visit from a Japanese Instructor who was in the UK at a seminar in London (1982?) and travelled to Chester, who professed to have no English and spoke only Japanese, and also took no notice of the belt system, but taught the entire group the same two techniques........for six hours.
    Was this course sponsored by the WJJF and Robert Clarke? If so that would have been Inoue Tsuyoshi Sensei, the 18th hereditaty headmaster of Hontai Yoshin-ryu jujutsu.

Hope this helps.

Likes (received)

Default Tenshin-shino-ryu Ju-jitsu

I recently found out about sombody apparantly teaching koryu jujutsu in Chester, UK. But the local newspaper article, I heard about it in, comes over a bit odd. Any thoughts on this:

Article Link

Finny Guest

Odd Indeed.

Tenshin Shino Ryu? or Tenjin Shinyo Ryu?

Oldest martial art? Dating to the 13th Century?

or Dating to the mid 19th Century?

Yudansha Kia? wtf is that? AFAIK kyu/dan and Yudansha are terms not used by koryu....

Things that make you go hmmmm.... dodgy.

Likes (received)

Go to the yahoo geocities website and type in "deeside jujitsu"

I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.

Likes (received)

Graham,

See the posts on this thread:
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...Ricky+Blundell

Regards
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

Also currently being discussed here:-

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...637#post925637
    Andrew K Jones
    Meifu Shinkage-ryu Shuriken 1st Kyu
    Naginata 3rd Kyu

Likes (received)

Default Anyone familiar with this system or Teacher?

Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu
    www.goshinkan.org

Thanks in advance
    Ron Walters

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by anaha
    Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu
    www.goshinkan.org

Thanks in advance
    The person in question, Mr. Calvin Lester, was a student of Kubota Toshihiro sensei in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu during the early 1980's.

According to Kubota sensei, when I asked about Mr. Lester, he stayed in Japan for about two years, and learned enough to earn Kirigami Menjo. He did learn a few techniques higher than his grade, but didn't come back to Japan again to train after leaving.

I actually printed out the webpage for Kubota sensei to have a look at a few years back and he was not happy with what he saw.

Needless to say, what Mr. Lester teaches is not authentic Tenjin Shinyo-ryu per se. He did learn a certain amount of koryu techniques under the headmaster of one of the lines of Tenjin Shinyo-ryu, but didn't complete his training (Flights to Japan in the 1980's were rather pricy if one wasn't living there full-time in those days), has renamed what he does to "Tenjin Shinyo Goshin-ryu" and titled himself as Menkyo Kaiden. It's not koryu.

Hope this helps.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    The person in question, Mr. Calvin Lester, was a student of Kubota Toshihiro sensei in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu during the early 1980's.

According to Kubota sensei, when I asked about Mr. Lester, he stayed in Japan for about two years, and learned enough to earn Kirigami Menjo. He did learn a few techniques higher than his grade, but didn't come back to Japan again to train after leaving.

I actually printed out the webpage for Kubota sensei to have a look at a few years back and he was not happy with what he saw.

Needless to say, what Mr. Lester teaches is not authentic Tenjin Shinyo-ryu per se. He did learn a certain amount of koryu techniques under the headmaster of one of the lines of Tenjin Shinyo-ryu, but didn't complete his training (Flights to Japan in the 1980's were rather pricy if one wasn't living there full-time in those days), has renamed what he does to "Tenjin Shinyo Goshin-ryu" and titled himself as Menkyo Kaiden. It's not koryu.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was going to join his dojo, but now I will look elsewhere.

Thanks again.
    Ron Walters

Likes (received)

Hi all

Hear is some further info on Tenjin Shinyo Ryu in the U.K.

http://www.planetjitsu.com/viewtopic...84252df1c0857d
    Kind Regards
    Lee Masters
    Tenjin Shinyo Ryu
    Tenyokai International

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast