Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenjin Shinyo ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Dear Sir,
    Do you know the kanji used to write the name Seiji Teppi?And is the last name Teppi?Quite an unusual one for Japanese..But they may have had steel doors made and used that name...
    My regards..And good luck in your quest.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Default Vernon Bell/ Seishi Teppi

Many thanks Ben, its really difficult tracing information on, documents and certificates that have gone missing. I even suspect that a person in the north of england, used a photo that I took several years ago of a Bell Shihan scroll for his own web site. Somewhat faint, but the refection on the glass tends to give it away. If you have any other ideas they will be most welcome, at any time. The only currant information that I have on Seishi Teppi, is that he opened his school in south africa in 1928, and left to return home in 1946/47/48. Is this another Japanese gentleman using alternative names
    peter hogg

Likes (received)

Much has been said in the last several months concerning our Ryu Ha – Tenjin Shinyo Ryu.
    For the uninitiated out there, exactly what is Tenjin Shinyo Ryu?

This style of Ju-Jutsu originated in Japan and is regarded as a Koryu. It was founded by Iso Mataemon around 1830.
    The syllabus of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is taught and practised at 5 transmission levels. These being:
    Shodan, Chudan, Mokuroku, Menkyo and Menkyo Kaiden.
    These levels are taught in a progressive, systematic manner.

The Shodan level of transmission
    The teaching comprises of four distinct kamae, Chokuritsu, Hira no Kamae, Itchi Monji no Kamae and Hira Itchi Monji no Kamae.
    The correct Reishiki which includes how to bow to the Sensei and the Tenjin Shinyo Ryu combat bow, the TSR kiai or shout (spirit coming together)which is different to most martial art forms in as much as the breath is taken inwards and downwards to the kikai tanden with the tongue assuming a specific position. During the course of the Shoden level of training the student would be taught how to wear the hakama and teppi which are worn traditionally in TSR at certain designated times, normally for formal demonstrations.

The first set of katas that are taught are known as Te Hodoki (literally means hand escapes). There are 12 of these kata.
    My teacher Kubota Toshihiro Shihanke told me that traditionally these were taught within the first 3-6 months of the students training. They are the very fundamental techniques of the Ryu Ha and are used to test the student’s character. As to whether the Sensei teaches the student further is determined on how well he conducts himself during this process.
    We adopt this system in the Tenyokai U.K.

Following the Te-Hodoki the next series of kata taught are the Shodan Idori. There are 10 of these, the first being ‘Shin No Kurai’. This kata originates in the Tenjin Shinyo Ryu from Yoshin Ryu as TSR has its origins in two older styles of Ju-Jutsu, namely the Yoshin Ryu and Shin no Shindo Ryu. The TSR version however differs slightly from the Yoshin Ryu as it contains more Atemi Waza which is traditionally known in TSR as ‘Sappou Jutsu’. Next in the Shodan transmission is the Shodan Tachiai series of kata, again there are 10 of these beginning with ‘Yuki Chigai’.
    When the student of TSR has become proficient in these kata he will receive a licence in the form of a Kiri Gami Menjo (cut paper). The Shodan level is the basic level and the Kiri Gami Menjo is not regarded as a teaching licence.

The Chudan level of transmission
    Comprises of 28 katas, 14 are Idori and 14 Tachiai. The Chudan level is regarded as an intermediate level and contains many arresting-type techniques such as’ Hiki Tate’ from the Chudan Idori and ‘Tsure Byoshi’ from Chudan Tachiai These katas are the influence of the Shino Shindo Ryu as the founder of this style was a policeman.
    When proficient the student is again awarded the Kiri Gami Menjo (cut paper) with the official seals of the Ryu Ha.

Mokuroku level of transmission
    Mokuroku literally means catalogue. At this level the student will be taught the ‘Nagesute’ which literally means to throw away or to dump. Nagesute comprises of 20 katas, all performed from Tachiai. These katas depart from the original katas of the Yoshin Ryu and Shin no Shindo Ryu as they were the direct creation of our founder Iso Mataemon, while in a meditative state at the Tenmangu Temple in Kyoto and during Muga Shugyo, travelling around the country challenging exponents of other styles of Ju-Jutsu.
    It is said that he never lost a contest but gained a lot of experience with this kind of austere training. The Nagesute Katas are designed to make the breakfall for the uke (receiver) very difficult to apply, also this series of katas are useful when fighting multiple opponents.

Also at this level of transmission the student is introduced to ‘Sasoi Kappou’ revival and resuscitation methods.

Menkyo level of transmission
    At this level another makimono licence is issued once the student has become proficient in the 24 katas of Shiai Ura and the 10 katas of the Gokui Tachiai, plus the teaching of the ‘Eri Kappou’.
    The Shiai Ura set of katas are designed with contest in mind and teach the student direct attacking methods with some devastating ‘Sappou Jutsu’ or more commonly known as Atemi Waza. There are also very clever reversal techniques against opponent’s attacks.

The Gokui Tachiai Katas are, along with the Gokui Idori, regarded as the most advanced secretive levels of kata that are only taught to students who demonstrate a very high skill. The 10 Gokui Tachiai contain numerous ‘Sappou Jutsu’ techniques aimed to disrupt the nervous and arterial systems of the body as well as to cause injury to the internal organs of the body. Many of the Gokui Tachiai katas are highly technical in both the timing and entering on the opponent; examples of these are Tengu Shou and Tegane Dori.
    For Menkyo the practitioner also learns further revival resuscitation methods known as Eri Kappou.
    Regarding Kappou, my teacher Kubota Toshihiro is regarded as an expert instructor in this aspect and has taught many high ranking Judoka at the Kodokan, being himself a 7th Dan in Kodokan judo.

Menkyo Kaiden level of transmission
    At this level the practitioner of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu has been taught and mastered everything there is in the syllabus. This includes the Gokui Idori 10 Katas and the 5 Kuden. The 10 Gokui Idori complete the 124 Katas of the syllabus. The last kata in this series is not only combative but has a symbolic meaning which was taught to me by Kubota Sensei and which I cannot disclose in such an article.

Kuden
    In the techniques of the Tenjin Shinyo Ryu the Kuden comprises of five katas. These katas are taught as the ‘Okuden’ and are the last skills to be taught. They are taught by individual instruction only.
    These five techniques are not fighting techniques as such, they are however important concepts that once mastered can be applied when performing the 124 fighting katas of the Ryu Ha. Like all the techniques of TSR they should be performed with the concept of ‘Shi-Ki-Ryoku’. This concept was inscribed when the founder of TSR, Iso Mataemon died at 76 years of age in 1863, as it was a concept he emphasised when teaching TSR.

Weaponry in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu
    The weaponry used mainly in TSR for practice purposes are the ‘Bokken, one long one representing the Katana and one short one representing the Wakizashi, or Daito and Shoto. However, the shorter bokken used can also represent the ‘Jutte’ which is regarded as the number one weapon in TSR.

What is very important to realise is that the syllabus and teaching outlined here is not a figment of my imagination. Tenjin Shinyo Ryu,is well documented in Japan in the form of old makimono, densho and texts. Like most Koryu the teaching and syllabus never changes from generation to generation.

As for Yukio Tani and ‘Raku’ Uyenishi, there is no evidence to suggest that they taught or practised TSR in this country. Extensive research suggests they had their origins in the Fusen Ryu Ju-Jutsu.

Finally, I would like to finish by mentioning a small part of a Chinese scroll referring to the aim of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, given to my teacher Kubota Toshihiro by his teacher Sakamoto Fusataro when he passed on the mantle of the teachings of TSR.
    “If people try to resolve conflict using force, then opponents will respond in kind by fighting back with force. Nothing is to be gained by this”.

I hope all of the above clarifies what Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is and that it helps all people who are genuinely interested in understanding what is Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Ju-Jutsu.

Paul Masters
    President
    Tenyokai U.K.
    Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Ju-Jutsu
    Kind Regards
    Lee Masters
    Tenjin Shinyo Ryu
    Tenyokai International

Likes (received)

Default Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu

Greetings, all.

There has been some vigorous discussion in the recent past regarding Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu.

First, by way of introduction, I am the ‘creator’ and ‘administrator’ of the Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu web presence. There was a comment made that Kubota Sensei saw a print out of the former Goshinkan.org website and “was not pleased.” Yes, I fully expect he wouldn’t have been. How could he? The site didn’t provide the right insight and attitude of Bujyutsu.

At the time when I first created the website, over 10 years ago, I was a mid-level junior student who had just been introduced to the Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu. Until then, all of my training had been in Budo, specifically Karate and Bando. To say I didn’t fully understand the Koryu, or Goshinjyutsu is a vast understatement. Nevertheless, I endeavored. I take full responsibility for that and the confusion that surrounds Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu today.

My initial website was an attempt to share my understanding of the style with the world. It was a selfish motivation. It was as if I was saying, “hey, look here…see what we’re doing…see how special this is.” While it is true that Mr. Lester knew what I was doing, I’m sure he too, just like Kubota Sensei, was not fully pleased with my presentation. Still, he gave me ample space, but didn’t allow me to go too far. I recall many frustrations of not being allowed to present “this or that.”

Today, ten years the wiser, as I look back on what I presented of the style, I see the errors of my interpretation. I can only smile at the knowledge of how much patience Mr. Lester has extended to me. For anyone who has children, it is easy to understand how he would have allowed me to express myself in the best manner I knew how, at the time. But, here’s the thing: he couldn’t tell me or share how shallow my presentation was because quite simply, I was not ready for it.

This past year, my daughter and son have begun their training. Each of them is just like me, full of curiosity. They, also just like me, like to seek and ask questions that are miles and miles down the road. I chuckle at how I have to respond to them in the same manner Mr. Lester has to respond to me. I smile. I listen. I give them an answer they are able to understand. Yet, many times, that answer is without completeness.

For those of you who actively train, you know as I do that learning never ends. I’m sure in time, what I will come to know and appreciate ten years from now will make my current understanding pale in comparison. But, that is the natural way.

The new, GoshinRyu.org website I posted towards late 2005 is more representative of the true essence of the style. It is complete for as far as the internet is appropriate. Moreover, I believe the section called, “TenJin Shinyo GoShin Ryu - An Insight,” says everything that needs to be said about the respect and honor the style warrants.

It reads:

“Iso Mataemon Masanobu, the 4th Headmaster, wrote a book in 1894 that included the original history of TenJin Shinyo Ryu's beginning. Kubota Toshihiro, the current Headmaster, provided additional history of the School in a 1983 publication. The historical knowledge pointed to the uniqueness of the School's creation. Both Jyujyutsu and Goshinjyutsu were developed by the Founder - Iso Mataemon Minamoto No Masatari and configured into the original Style. The inspirational and Divine guidance, spearheading both developments, were quite unique and happened on two separate occasions. TenJin Shinyo Ryu's greatest popularity period was the catapult for teaching the Goshinjyutsu. TenJin Shinyo GoShin Ryu is the Style taught in the United States, which initially places the emphasis upon the GoShinjyutsu and thereafter continues seamlessly into the Jyujyutsu.”

Additionally, there has been discussion regarding what Mr. Lester actually learned and achieved as a disciple of Kubota Sensei. In response to various assertions and assumptions, allow me to say this: there are many publications from Kubota Sensei and those that preceded him, which speak to and validate the Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, and thus the existence of Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu. It is Koryu.

Secondly, please allow me to ask three questions.

1. Would Mr. Kubota allow anyone, other than someone he held in very high esteem, to be photographed while sitting along side him with their hands in their laps, while his most senior students (at the time) are *standing* behind?

2. Would Mr. Kubota allow anyone, other than someone he held in very high esteem, take his place in a demonstration at a most sacred shrine. In addition, would Mr. Kubota loan his own Hakama and Obi to be worn by this individual during the demonstration, in the presence of other prominent Headmasters of Koryu?

3. Is it reasonable to assume that Mr. Kubota would have done these things with someone who only had a junior license and a few higher skills? If not, then the earlier assertions by some, of who Mr. Lester is and what Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu is, must be reconsidered.

If anyone is at fault for the juvenile manner in which this style was presented in the past, it would be me.

Harmony is the flower of virtue,
    Bujyutsu is the protector.

Later today, I will post this message (partially) on the GoshinRyu.org website.

Thank you.
    Steven Block

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by swblock
    Additionally, there has been discussion regarding what Mr. Lester actually learned and achieved as a disciple of Kubota Sensei. In response to various assertions and assumptions, allow me to say this: there are many publications from Kubota Sensei and those that preceded him, which speak to and validate the Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, and thus the existence of Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu. It is Koryu.
    Sorry, but that dog won't hunt. The name of a koryu school founded in the 1830's, changed by someone who isn't given permission to change it? Once you start changing the teaching format and techniques, let alone the name, it ceases being koryu.

You can make Oyo waza. Hell, jujutsu is all about being fluid and adapting with situations, that's why koryu jujutsu use scenario drills in their kata. That's why we have weapons negotiation techniques, techniques against strikes, hair grabs throat grabs against the wall, etc etc.

It is the kata in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu that allows you to create such oyo. Furthermore, Kubota sensei teaches Kodokan goshinjutsu, the Kodokan nage no kata and kime no kata to show how Tenjin Shinyo-ryu techniques can be adapted for less anachronistic situations.

Secondly, please allow me to ask three questions.

1. Would Mr. Kubota allow anyone, other than someone he held in very high esteem, to be photographed while sitting along side him with their hands in their laps, while his most senior students (at the time) are *standing* behind?
    Why do I have a very similar photograph like this of myself with him when I left Japan, sitting on my mantlepiece? It's a momento. I have photos of myself with his family and students. It's important to us as individuals, but shouldn't be used as a point of legitimacy.

2. Would Mr. Kubota allow anyone, other than someone he held in very high esteem, take his place in a demonstration at a most sacred shrine. In addition, would Mr. Kubota loan his own Hakama and Obi to be worn by this individual during the demonstration, in the presence of other prominent Headmasters of Koryu?
    We do Yasukuni Jinja twice, sometimes three times a year. When I was first starting out as a young gassoon, I forgot or lost my teppi. Kubota sensei gave me a loan of his own. It's just his very generous nature. He's a very nice man to those who really want to learn the koryu properly.

3. Is it reasonable to assume that Mr. Kubota would have done these things with someone who only had a junior license and a few higher skills? If not, then the earlier assertions by some, of who Mr. Lester is and what Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu is, must be reconsidered.
    I have heard Kubota sensei's own opinions on this, and no, it should not be reconsidered.

As I pointed out above, Kubota shihan is a very generous man to juniors. He was very generous and supportive to me when one of my family members passed away while living in Japan. I was unable to return at the time, and Kubota sensei arranged for a whip 'round for the dojo to enable me to buy and send a wreath from Japan.

Kubota sensei, after every training session in Tokyo almost always says similar things about the sempai, kohai relationship in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu - There is none. No sempai and no kohai, we're all members of the same family and we help each other better our techniques in the ryuha, via Jita Kyoei (自他共栄 ) selfless, mutual benefit.

Likes (received)

Default Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu

In conclusion to my contribution to this discussion, I'd like to refer all who are interested to three books / publications which speak to the origin of and/or impetus to create Tenjin Shinyo Ryu's Goshinjyutsu and it's development by the founder, thus making it Koryu.

1. Nippon Jyujyutsu, Chapter 5, page 122
    Japan Book of Formal Military Ways

Excerpt:

>>> Inlet Door - Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu

The inlet door period began when the disturbances of war caused crisis and emergencies. All organized assemble was suppressed by Armed Forces. Opponents used their bare hands to attack and assault. They dealt with skill, vigorously.

The aim, goal of the new body research, added this System to Tenjin Shinyo Ryu which flowed originally from our Ancestor whose development of crude Foot and Leg movements corrected by truth was the originating source.

The fame, reputation of our Ancestor's skill was throughout the whole country. This influenced five thousand people to receive passage of this approach. The System was transmitted to "Respect and Honor Human Life," even when wounding an opponent in order to defeat them. This is the aim, goal of this Branch, which was extended over a large area and became widely accepted. <<<

2. Jyujyutsu Taii Roku, written by Bo Terasaki (highest Disciple of the Ganso)

3. Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jyujyutsu Gokui Kyoju Zukai (Secret teachings and pictorial analysis) written by Iso Mataemon Masanobu (4th Generation Headmaster) and Chiharu Yoshida (3rd Generation Headmaster's highest disciple, 2nd edition printing)

In short, Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu is authenticated today by the authenticity of its original beginning, which is well documented, and by the direct result of Mr. Toshihiro Kubota's teaching of Mr. Lester, and his receipt of the subsequent transmission of the knowledge for completion.

Mr. Lester teaches in the United States.

All who are interested in taking a class in order to be introduced to the style may do so through the continuing education department Camden County College.
    Steven Block

Likes (received)

I think you're going to have some direct questions to answer for this one, so please don't leave just yet..
    Does Kubota san know that he gave Menkyo to Mr. Lester?I only ask because on all official documents, the only other areas to train are listed as Australia and England...And neither shibu has full transmission just yet as far as I am aware...Strange that there is no mention of Mr. Lester if he got as far as Menkyo...
    I'm not saying I doubt you..But some of the facts here are a long way from adding up..
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

As Al Pacino says in the movie The Godfather III, "Just when I thought I was out..."

Most of the back-and-forth discussion has been around the question of whether or not Mr. Lester received a Menkyo Kaiden in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu. I suspect some have even asked Mr. Kubota directly. The answer is no, Mr. Lester did not. So, the next question is, well if Mr. Lester doesn't have a Menkyo Kaiden in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, does he at least have a Menkyo? The answer is no, he does not. So, all of the official records that you are referring, which identify two students in Australia and England, are correct to omit Mr. Lester's name. Thus, nothing is strange, as you say.

However, the questions above are not the 'right' questions. Rather, the question that should be asked is, what did Mr. Kubota give Mr. Lester a Menkyo Kaiden in. The answer is the Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu. To this fact, all documentation does exist.

Many have argued that no such 'thing' [a distinct system called Goshinjyutsu within the Tenjin Shinyo Ryu style] exists. Many have argued quite strongly that Goshinjyutsu just means that you are using the skills of the style for 'self-defense'. But it does exist. I've provided the documentation sources in my earlier post that speak to its existence, and its origination directly from the founder. The Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is Koryu. In 1983, Mr. Kubota made Goshinjyutsu, in the context of a distinct system within the style) public for the first time in a publication (magazine). This also coincides with Mr. Lester's experience in Japan with Mr. Kubota and his demonstration of the the Founder's Goshinjyutsu skills at the shrine.

The next reasonable question should be, if Mr. Lester only has the skills from the distinct system of Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, how can he call what he teaches Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu as a new stream by the hand of Mr. Kubota? And indeed, if all Mr. Lester had received from Mr. Kubota were mere skills, there would not be any Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu. But, there is. Thus the transmission of knowledge to Mr. Lester was completed, even beyond "When All Told."

I could interject some of my own ideas, opinions, and speculation as to why Mr. Kubota doesn't speak about the Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu more openly. But, that would be very arrogant of me. I'd like to think I've matured (at least in some small measure) in the past 20 years.

So, to that end, I need to close here and remember that I am merely "A Student Along the Way."

Thank you.

ps: Now I have a question for you: How do you get those Japanese characters to show up like you, and others do??
    Steven Block

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by swblock
    Many have argued that no such 'thing' [a distinct system called Goshinjyutsu within the Tenjin Shinyo Ryu style] exists. Many have argued quite strongly that Goshinjyutsu just means that you are using the skills of the style for 'self-defense'.
    Unless I'm mis-reading this thread, some of those "many" that you are arguing with are practicing members of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, in direct communication with the headmaster.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

There are so many issues with this that it baffles me...
    Your question is an easy one to answer however, since I am using a Japanese computer I switch the conversion over to kanji and type..
    As to the rest, it would still be odd that no mention other that Mr. Lesters own has ever been made of this school and that even now it is not known by anyone else other than Mr. Lester, if Kuboto Sensei knows it he does not teach it and to claim full license in something that no one knows is stretching somewhat..Good luck with all that..
    As pointed out elsewhere however, I don't train in TSR, I train in something else, I can just read Japanese and know enough to see that what is being claimed is dubious at best...I'm on speaking terms with several members (current..Not prior members) of the school and I'm only waiting for them to address your claims..
    I'm certainly not "pulling you back in"...You made these claims and it is up to you to back them up well enough to stop the drag back...This would mean some Japanese, and independant verification of them...Good luck with that..
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

I shan't repeat myself, I talked to Kubota sensei about this topic a number of years ago when I was still living in Japan and studying under him directly. There was a negative response, end of.

Likes (received)

So, we have a guy who claims that he received a menkyo kaiden in a sub-discipline of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu. We have the headmaster of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, who says that this sub-discipline does not exist.

Mr. Block, I have yet to fully read the sources that you site, but just from the quotes you have posted, I see nothing that definitely states that goshinjutsu was a separate sub-discipline of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu-- just that the element of goshinjutsu was developed/added to to the curriculum. From my skim of the quote, it sounded like goshinjutsu could be as much a mindset as anything else. Maybe if I get a chance to more thoroughly read your sources (which I won't be able to do anytime soon), I'll change my mind, but so far, you haven't presented me with enough evidence to make me doubt the word of a current member, in good standing, of the style who has spoken directly to the headmaster.

Finally, isn't it a bit odd for someone to be issued a menkyo kaiden (license of full transmission) in what would essentially be a small section of an overall art? Wouldn't one rather be given a license for that section of the curriculum?
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Yeah..Normally you'd maybe get licence in that section of the school..But what they seem to be claiming is that the "goshinjutsu Tenjin Shinyo-ryu" is a seperate line and one that has been taught, by Kubota Sensei to one person...That one person claims to have menkyo in this seperate school and although Kubota Sensei has said nothing to validate this he believes that he's legit..
    I'm with Steve, this is far worse than fishy and not worth the time we have spent replying to it..
    All done.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

I'm on speaking terms with several members (current..Not prior members) of the school and I'm only waiting for them to address your claims..
    Most excellent idea!!! But, somehow I don't know if we can assume that Mr. Kubota is going to be as 'open' and 'revealing' as we all would like for him to be.

I recall discussions with a book author / contributor who spent years in Japan. He took a great deal of pride in his 'relationship' with Mr. Kubota. Sadly, however, he became disillusioned when he discovered that (in his words) "no matter how hard you try, or how many years you train there is no guarantee that you'll be inside."

It would certainly be a great deal easier for Mr. Lester, and his disciples, if Mr. Kubota got up on a soapbox and explained everything to us westerners. I honestly wish he would. But, that is not his way. Rather, he chose a very public, very Japanese venue to make his announcement, and took an unfathomable risk to his personal stature and respect to do so.

Sometimes, I think we find ourselves trying to explain something that can't be explained. Unfortunately, when we can't come up with rational answers, our natural human tendency is to discount. It's the age old debate; chicken vs. the egg, creation vs. evolution, real vs. fake. Which is it? And, even if the answer is known with 100% certainty, how would it be proved?

The fact is that it can't. All that can be done is to lay down the information and allow people to make their own determinations. A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion, still. I guess that is what needs to be done here. There is nothing I can do or say to prove Mr. Lester's rightful place as a Shihan and "Master Teacher" of Tenjin Shinyo Goshin Ryu. But, all of the evidence is there.

I believe God created the heaven and earth and all that there is within it in six days and rested on the seventh day and therefore hallowed the seventh day as the Sabbath. I also believe that it was God Himself that provided the truth to Akiyama Shirobi. And with the truth, and God's inspiration, Mr. Shirobi created Yoshin Ryu.

I believe it was God that provided the inspiration to Iso Mataemon to go to the Shrine. While there, he prayed and trained for 200 days and asked God for a favor to be shown the same inspiration and truth given to Mr. Shirobi hundreds of years earlier. And, with that inspiration, Tenjin Shinyo Ryu was conformed.

Still further, I believe it was God that led Iso Mataemon into the epic battle of life and death, against insurmountable odds, for the sake of a village which led to the additional study of atemi and the creation of the original skills of Goshinjyutsu.

I believe all of these things. And, for all of these things I've spoken of, I have read of them first in books passed down from generation to generation. I believe. Some would say, that is merely faith; belief in things unseen. But, therein lies the rub regarding Mr. Lester. I've seen the artifacts. And, I've experienced his existence. He's not perfect. Nor do I believe that Mr. Kubota is perfect. But, there is something about each one of them that no one of us can fully understand. There is a mystery there. It is the essence that drives us to continue our training...to find out what it is.

Still, just as I can't speak to rationale of why Moses wasn't allowed into the 'Promised Land', I can't speak to the rationale of no open dialog regarding the Goshinjyutsu of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, even to and amongst the current students. It's as if it is being preserved, saved, and set aside. Perhaps that is where Mr. Kubota wants it to stay. I can't speak to that.

I don't understand, nor is it my place to question. But, it doesn't shake my belief. As for others, their own belief will be...or it won't.

It's just the way it is.

I'll leave it at that.

Take care, everyone.
    Steven Block

Likes (received)

Smile

Sticking my nose there where it doesn't belong (this is a Dutch trait).
    If mr. Lester has received anything from Kubota sensei it will be in writing. Well scan it - there are people (not me!) who read Japanese on this board.
    They will be abel to prove Mr. Lester's rightful place as you say.

And I quess they are willing to help.

Best regards,

Johan Smits

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast