Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My experience

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default My experience

BTW, good point on the bi-polar sales pitch of chanbara. Like a willingness to lower standards in the dojo to permit juvenille behavior from kids with paying parents. I have felt a bit of this in my dojo- sensei seemed to want to attract younger kids for a second class, maybe to involve his daughter in his school to get his wife off his back? His heart wasn't in it so it never happened. But, having many photos on the web with helmetted six-year-olds hacking away at each other is humbling. I use the opportunity for ego-deflation.

I have been studying with sensei for a little over a year.

Sensei brings up tournaments some times, I guess he was involved when he first became connected with the official organization. We aren't preparing for any, though. I haven't heard about any coming up.
    Mostly, we use the kodachi (wakizashi) for paired form practice. Thousands of "men, kata, kata" repetitions of stricking and blocking. Lately, he has been switching our targets and the order of who goes when to get us to move more. He continually mentioned the best defense is to "not be there".

How this affects iaido technique? Well, I am a total begginner, so nobody on this forum may care about my understanding of my experience. I haven't come to any conclusions myself other than to stop trying to judge and compare my training to what I thought it should be and to justpractice hard and try to really listren and understand sensei. That has seemed to be the most help to my practice.
    Anyway, I'm finding that I can visualize the actions of the "imaginary opponent" in the kata. Maybe anybody could without the paired practice I've had in just months of training? I am using more of my body than I was before I was coached to move, evade, etc. in shiai/sparring that we do. Here, it's more like a randori with assigned "tasks" for each to do, but either could end up as uke or nage- a bit more intense than the aikido practice I have. For instance, person A can only strike kote, the senior student has to evade and strike sune, or can attack only if there is one or two fakes, like fake high, low, then strike kata as they block. Does this make sense?

Really, the practical experience of maai has been good. I extend much more when I do noto on a couple of kata- I didn't realize what the problem was until i missed for two classes in one of the paireds chanbara techniques.

I guess a point from this might be that a beginner like me, at least without any practical experience of using a weapon to block and cut an opponent in different directions, can gain an understanding of what the body needs to do to connect with the monouchi and make a good cut.

My iaito with hi is the only thing that coached my grip and angle- chanbara weapons are round fabric. I do use the seam on the back as a "mune" to practice controlling myself. I juswish the tsuka on them were oval and not round.

Enough.

Steve McGee

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default Huh?

Whoops! I meant this to be a reply to the chambara thread. I apologize for not reading the buttons correctly.

Likes (received)

"I haven't come to any conclusions myself other than to stop trying to judge and compare my training to what I thought it should be and to just practice hard and try to really listren and understand sensei."

Right on, Steve.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Default Chambara Pt. II

Thank you, stevemcgee99. I want to hear anyone's observations, no matter how much experience they have.

Your sensei has an interesting use of the Chambara-style weapons. It sounds almost like Tankendo (related to Kendo except that a shoto-length Shinai is used to represent a bayonet alone, that is, not mounted at the end of a rifle).

That makes me wonder, what is sensei's background? And do you have any other MA experience?

TIA,
    Raymond Sosnowski

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default well...

He studied fencing, then iaido, naginata, bo and aiki-jujustu. His iai study was with Takahashi sensei, with Steve Anderson, in the SF Bay Area. I think, a guess, since Takahashi was in "Manchuko" in the thirties and forties, there might have been an influence of jukendo (Tankendo)? I'll ask on tuesday if I remember.

I studied YMCA Karate as a kid on and off for about five years, Tae Kwon Do with a serious teacher for a year as a senior in high school, and began practicing aikido about the same time as I began iaido.

Likes (received)

Default Thanks

Steve,

Thank you for the extra information.

Good luck in your practices.

Sincerely,
    Ray Sosnowski