Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: koryu attitude

Likes (received)

Default koryu attitude

Curses! Foiled again! Forget it, fellows. The jig is up. Mr. Yobina’s savvy sensei has hoisted the wool from the eyes of those who would have otherwise fallen for the thimblerigging machinations of the so-called “koryu.” He’s hip that what we’ve all been doing for years is just a dojo version of three-card monte, designed to fleece the gullible and trick men into wearing skirts.

I hate to admit it, but we may expect Mr. Yobina’s intrepid instructor to blow the lid off the secret of Katori Shinto ryu presently, revealing it to be nothing more than the concoction of a couple of out-of-work chanbara extras, hatched in 1969 on a Toho Studios backlot.
    The entire world will soon know that Ono-ha Itto ryu’s headmaster is actually just the guy who services the Slurpee machines at Shibuya 7-11s.
    That Yagyu Shinkage ryu is but a wholly owned subsidiary of the Yamaha Corporation, its curriculum derived from warm-up exercises for batters of the Hanshin Tigers.

It’s all over. Like the flimflam pettifogger in The Music Man, we’d best pack up our bokuto and slink out of town, lest the irate locals warm up the tar and start plucking chickens. I can only hope Mr. Yobina’s marauding master doesn’t turn his attention to the mountebanks running the Ikenobo ryu ikebana scheme, uncovering the sordid truth behind their operation--an Osaka yakuza outfit trying to foist off the excess products of Japanese florists. Oops. I’ve said too much…

Cordially,
    Dave Lowry

Likes (received)

Indeed. The game does appear to be up. This fellow has just flushed my four years of training (in marketing, advertising, publishing, counterfeiting and jidai geki chanbara acting) at Katori R' Us Incorporated here in Japan right down the toilet. I could have been rich, famous, had sex with hordes of hot chicks and gotten my own T.V. show with a whacky side-kick, if this fraudryu buster hadn't blown the whistle on us. All is not lost, though, as the skills we have learned here can at least be used to work for the yakuza or start counterfeiting and prostitution rackets...or maybe infommercials selling pubic hairs of Bruce Lee in olive oil that boosts one's martial prowess when used in salads. What's the name of this Bastion of the One True Koryu's name again? My godfat...er..sensei may have heard of him.

P.S.
    Why is it again that THIS guy is so sure HIS scrolls weren't bought and sold, but he is as astute in uncovering fakes as a Lloyd's of London auctioneer when it comes to the scrolls of everybody elses schools? Explain this to my like I was a 4-year-old.
    Greg Ellis
    I like autumn best of all, because its tone is mellower, its colors are richer and it is tinged with a little sorrow. Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, nor the power of summer, but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. It knows the limitations of life and it is content.

Likes (received)

Andrew,
    Do that. We don't get enough comedic value around here as it is, what with most of the koryu wise-crackers migrating to some secret garden guarded by Tengu. Keep us posted. And I have the names of a few koryu women that could probably slice this guys nuts into perfectly square cubes if he ever wants to "prove" that women are merely dogs for our leashes and whips. Cheers
    Greg Ellis
    I like autumn best of all, because its tone is mellower, its colors are richer and it is tinged with a little sorrow. Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, nor the power of summer, but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. It knows the limitations of life and it is content.

MarkF Guest

Oh, My yes! Milk it for all it's worth. Eventually, someone will figure it out.

Wasn't the last koryu the one right before they used the term "koryu?"

A quote: "You want Meiji? I'll give you Meiji!"

Oh, this is great! Finally, we get to bust a gut about a "koryu" that was around before 1956.

Mark

Ronnie Nakamura Guest

Andrew,

This would'nt be the same dude that refused to tell the name of the art he taught to his own students would it? This sounds amazingly familiar. Or is this strange behavior the norm in Australian koryu dojo's? Ask this koryu guy to show up at the aiki expo next September and voice his opinion to Sensei Kuroda in person. I'll bet he would dare.

If this is the same guy who refuses to tell anyone what style he teaches, look out! Jerry Johnson will be over here in seconds to attack everyone who thinks that this guy is full of himself. He'll especially attack Dave Lowry for his post, since like Toby Threadgill, Dave Lowry has a sense of humor and has an expert opinion based on actual knowledge of the subject.

_

BTW...after some research I have learned the our "dude with a tude" Jerry Johnson is actually an beginning Iaido student of Darrel Craig's Houston Budokan. Can you believe this guy! Judging from some posts over on bugei's forum, he's not even cared for much by his own dojomates. Oh, and check out the discussion about a video produced by Jerry's own teacher. Scott Irey say's it's hilarous. Now Jerry Johnson's defense of questionable instructors seems to make more sense. He's evidently the one with an under the surface agenda.

Check out : http://www.swordforumbugei.com/ubb/F...ML/000181.html

Ronny Nakamura

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Ronnie Nakamura
    This would'nt be the same dude that refused to tell the name of the art he taught to his own students would it? This sounds amazingly familiar.
    Yes, it does sound like the same person.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Post Hmmmmmmm ....

Andrew,

Hmmmm .... I really don't know about this source. I've seen photographs in Hiden of Kuroda Tetsuzan performing enbu at age 5. Don't know the venue, but he's there with his grandfather. The caption stated he was 5 and that his grandfather was the ryu's leader (I forget if it said "soke", "shihan", or whatever) -- but it definitely stated the grandfather was the boss-man.

And yes, I know that Hiden does have some "strange" stuff in it.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Yobina
    Then he said, "Do you know why I would beat anyone who challenges me? Because I know true koryu, I know heiho, I know how to move before you even move. I know more than you. Simply because I know. Not this modern !!!!!!!!.
    I wonder how he would fare against our erstwhile companion, Mr. Rich DeLuca?
    David F. Craik

Originally posted by Soulend

I wonder how he would fare against our erstwhile companion, Mr. Rich DeLuca?

Not a chance.........Deluca of ACMAC Ryu would bore him to death.......or confuse him so much with his uneducated babble he would go insane.

Likes (received)

"They wear short short skirts and you can see everything. They don't even care how they sit in the train or that when they squat down you can see their underwear if they wear it! You can see their bum, and it's not nice. It's not right, it's not womanly and it is wrong. Women shouldn't be showing you this. Young Japanese women are stupid. They have no self-respect. I am disgusted at young Japanese women."

Lol This guy isn't exactly looking the other way is he.

Hyakutake Colin

.............. "They wear short short skirts and you can see everything. They don't even care how they sit in the train or that when they squat down you can see their underwear if they wear it! You can see their bum, and it's not nice.
    I don't know about that........I have seen some pretty nice underwear holding some pretty nice bums in them.
    Actually if this guy was such a "Gentleman" he wouldn't know about this kind of stuff because he wouldn't be so rude as to look at them...........I on the other hand have no quams and am not a "gentleman" per say.

Young Japanese women are stupid. They have no self-respect.
    He is not wrong there...........I meet a LOT of young Japanese woman that are the stereo typical "Dumb Blond"

I am disgusted at young Japanese women."
    I'm not.....I think they are kinda cute.

"A woman is expected to behave like a woman and do as she is told by her father and husband. If she behaves bad the father and husband have the right to chastise her."
    Maybe this guy should move back to the Edo Period and run for Shogun.

Jerry Johnson Guest

Thumbs up Koryu Attitude -Not The Jerry Johnson Show

Originally posted by Ronnie Nakamura
    Andrew,

This would'nt be the same dude that refused to tell the name of the art he taught to his own students would it? This sounds amazingly familiar. Or is this strange behavior the norm in Australian koryu dojo's? Ask this koryu guy to show up at the aiki expo next September and voice his opinion to Sensei Kuroda in person. I'll bet he would dare.

If this is the same guy who refuses to tell anyone what style he teaches, look out! Jerry Johnson will be over here in seconds to attack everyone who thinks that this guy is full of himself. He'll especially attack Dave Lowry for his post, since like Toby Threadgill, Dave Lowry has a sense of humor and has an expert opinion based on actual knowledge of the subject.

_

BTW...after some research I have learned the our "dude with a tude" Jerry Johnson is actually an beginning Iaido student of Darrel Craig's Houston Budokan. Can you believe this guy! Judging from some posts over on bugei's forum, he's not even cared for much by his own dojomates. Oh, and check out the discussion about a video produced by Jerry's own teacher. Scott Irey say's it's hilarous. Now Jerry Johnson's defense of questionable instructors seems to make more sense. He's evidently the one with an under the surface agenda.

Check out : http://www.swordforumbugei.com/ubb/F...ML/000181.html

Ronny Nakamura
    Ronny,

After five posts you have established yourself as a pretty good troll. The thread Koryu with Attitude could have done with out your enlightening comments . In fact, it was really a pretty good thread until you tried to derail it. I am sure your comments will shy away many valuable and respected members both well known and not so well known as we can learn from everyone.

BTW, Ronny, I have said this repeatedly to so many trolls, like yourself looking for peer approval and self-worth, my concern goes way back to my first posts that trashing others via name calling is poor taste. There is no need for it. I see those naming names public for the purpose of trashing others is poor manners all the way around. If you can't post a concern without naming names, then don't do it at all. When this happens it brings (IMO) E-Budo down. As I have said before, I am in support of examining and questioning claims, techniques and accolades of others intelligently just as Mr. Turner's thread has demonstrated. In fact, I have on many threads questioned others on high and low grounds. I have asked questioned without naming names to prevent unnecessary feeding feats and troll parties. Also, I have named names and confronted those I have disagreed with on the grounds they where not properly behaving themselves, naming names, or saying things that are uncalled for. A few people complain ( usually those associated with the person I point to who I feel has fouled). when I post in the latter low ground form, most who object are just trolls noting an opportunity. Umm...errrr.....Ronnie.

I don't understand those like yourself Ronnie, who for some reason need to troll as demonstrated in the Koryu Attitude thread and not be responsible and professional enough to recognize the quality of the thread and not disrupt it, i.e. no one was naming names or trashing anyone until you posted. And the thread was rare as it was not deteriorating as posting when on, but rather the opposite was happening. The quality was increasing as each following post was continuing to be informative and well thought out, well except for one. The thread was clearly deserving of high marks reflecting the quality of E-Budo. You may not like me, but unlike yourself, I have been posting here for a while. I know when to step back from an issue and let it be which maybe unhealthily for E-Budo as a whole. There is no reason for you to re-start the fire which you have no business with or in. Your butting in to something that has nothing to do with you, and is a dead issue. An issue only between Mr. Threadgill and I which sadly became prime real-estate for so many trolls.

I like others made an effort to change so should you.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/newr...&postid=136890

I apologize to all, I hope this thread will be considered for the no holds barred forum for obvious reasons that it taints the current forum.
    Last edited by Jerry Johnson; 22nd October 2002 at 03:24.

Likes (received)

Post cv. "early morning dew"

this invincible koryu master definitely gets his gender role images from the dark ages. as for the little glimpses of heaven provided by miniskirt-clad women in modern japan, well, i'll repeat what Colin wrote: the gentleman doesn't seem to do a good job of averting his gaze! if the women in question are content to become targets of wandering eyes (or slaves to fashion) then that's their choice. if i were a woman, and one that didn't want her nether regions on public display, i'd simply choose different clothing.

meanwhile, back on topic, anybody who believes that they represent the "true koryu" by bragging as this guy reportedly does comes off like a total crank in my mind. 'course i'll withhold final judgement until i, too, become an invincible koryu master.
    Jeff Hamacher
    Those who speak do not know,
    Those who know will not speak ...
    So I guess that means I don't know a thing!

lemming Guest

The thing is, if you'd just done nothing, it'd have gone on by and nobody would have noticed or cared.

-Lou

Jerry Johnson Guest

Good Point. YOur right. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast