Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jujutsu Koryu Styles

Lens Guest

Default ?

"but certainly you remember the one other ex-member of the modern incarnation of the DNBK who wasn't exactly thrilled with his treatment."

Would you belive any one what they say about a group that they have been kicked out off because of mis behaviour? i dont.

I have my own bunch off friends you know.

-------------------------------------------------------(FULL STOP)

now about that e-mail.....hhmmmmm anyone please?

mark i know you can help? or ghp? youve been on earth a couple of years before me. pleaseee i beg you...

Likes (received)

Thumbs down DNBK and Koryu?

Hi Lens.
    I would not assume that there is any link with the modern DNBK and with any Koryu groups currently practising in Japan.
    What I have seen of the organisation of the Butokukai is that it seems to promote various groups of gendai Budo forms but no Koryu.
    There seem to be links with Judo, Karate-Do, Kendo/Iaido, and possibly some other modern forms (Like the British Jujitsu group you highlighted earlier) but there are no links named with any of the Koryu. (This, as I stated earlier is the role of the Kobudo Shinkokai and the Kobudo Kyokai groups mainly...).
    As far as legality goes I am sure it is legal....That is not really the point that Mark and others are making..You seem convinced that the group maintains a 'overseer' role in Japanese Budo, both Koryu and Gendai, and that the DNBK is a 'major' player in Japan. This, as has been stated already is not reality..It seems a shadow of its former self and thank God that it is...The role it used to play is one of the things all countries should be trying hard to eliminate. (IMHO).
    As far as the email address goes I can't help...If they don't have a website it may be harder than normal to find one, more personal certainly..For your question though the two Koryu groups I mentioned would seem to me to be the right direction for inquiries...
    HTH.
    Ben.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Lens Guest

Default Koryu and DNBK

Thanks Ben,

DNBK has Gendai Budo thats for sure. About Koryu, Koryu is not something I am familiar very with that is why I want information about Koryu but I belive DNBK has some very reputable Koryu teachers and some soke as well like Miura Sensei I recently told you about (Iaijutsu, jojutsu, bojutsu, jujutsu and others)

his official site

interview

hompage of his students outside Japan

In these articles I read alot about koryu styles but never read gendai anywere in these + theres a new name of a Kobudo org in Japan, Zen nippon kobudo renmei sogo which he got some certifications from in the 70's. To many names for a single guy to handle at once.

Some other Ryu (dont know if they are all koryu or mixed with some Gendai Ryu) that I know DNBK has, are:

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu,
    Katori Shinto Ryu,
    Muso Isshin Ryu,
    Muso Shinden Ryu,
    Omori Ryu,
    Muso Ittoh Ryu,
    Okinawa Konan Ryu,
    Goju Ryu,
    Shotokan,
    Chito Ryu,
    Chishin Ryu,
    Wado Ryu,
    Kushin Ryu,
    Shorin Ryu,
    Yanagi Ryu,
    Shibukawa Ryu,
    Daito Ryu,
    Yagyu Shingan Ryu,
    Yanagi ryu,
    Araki Ryu,
    Chishin Ryu,
    Myo shin Ryu,
    Soshindo,
    Korin Kai,
    Chishin Ryu Heiho,
    Aiki Inyou Kai,
    Tenchi Aikido,
    Shin Gi Tai,
    Shindo/shinto? Muso Ryu,
    Chishin Ryu Heiho.

in:
    Iaijutsu, Kendo, Kenjutsu, Karatedo, Judo, Jiujutsu, Aikido, Aikijutsu, Jojutsu, Battodo, Kyujutsu, Sojutsu, and Okinawan Kobudo.

(note this list could be mixed gendai and koryu, that is why I decided i should start and contact for information.)

About thir generation Soke's I only know about Miura - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu that is why I need more resources!

Thanks Ben, I always love reading your replies because you disagree with respect and courtesy when you disagree.

About which is the best organization. For my own opinion I will decide myself which it is when I find what I need to find. That is why I need the e-mail of Budokan, I feel I cant leave it out of my personal research.

Regards
    Last edited by Lens; 30th October 2002 at 17:52.

Likes (received)

Default Len here an address

Nippon Kobudo KyoKai
    c/o Nippon Budokan
    2-3, Kitanomaru-Koen,
    Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo

Took me a while to find it again after moving. These guys will help, I did have a phone number as well and a further address for other regional organisations, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. My advise write to them with the detail of what you are seeking they will reply and give details if they have them.

It was 1994 when I last contacted them but it should be still valid the Nippon Budokan hasn't moved! I did ring them but at that stage they only spoke Janapese (understandably) and my japanese is not great to say the least so if you know someone who can translate I suggest you arrange someting before hand.

Good luck.....

Likes (received)

Default Main Kobudo Association in Japan

Just an FYI: for those who actually train in one of the Kobudo Ryu, the main organization in Japan which sanctions licensing, lineage, etc. is the Zen Nippon Kobudo Renmei; their office is in the Budokan.
    Noah Greenstone

Likes (received)

They wouldn't tend to sanction licensing in these schools as that is left up to the school head in question. They are responsible for maintaining and promoting these arts here and abroad however.. The Kyokai and the Shinkokai both help to promote Koryu arts here. But neither has anything to do with licensing.
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by djnoah
    Just an FYI: for those who actually train in one of the Kobudo Ryu, the main organization in Japan which sanctions licensing, lineage, etc. is the Zen Nippon Kobudo Renmei; their office is in the Budokan.
    Hi Noah,

I think you might be getting the ZNKR mixed up with the Shinkokai and Kyokai that Ben mentioned. I haven't heard much about the ZNKR outside of Kano Takehiko-sensei and MJER's Miura-sensei (also a student of Kano-sensei's in Kukishin-ryu etc). Who else is involved in ZNKR?

PS: How are things on the East of the Yamanote, Ben?
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Hi Daniel,
    Things here are settling once again..Training is just getting better...How about yourself?Well I hope?
    Oh, won't be at Meiji this year...The Okayama Kobudosai is on the 4th and all the Takeuchi guys head there for the enbu..So I won't see you there I guess..
    My regards, in a wet and cold part of Tokyos suburbs..
    Ben
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2