Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Iaito on a Plane

L-Fitzgerald Guest

Default Another suggestion

Not being a golfer I have no knowledge of what is out there, save that I met one gentlemen that used a hard style [PVC] traveling golf bag. Complete with a lock and checked it in along with his luggage. Of course his blades were disassembled, packed in bubble wrap and hidden within a small group of cheap golf clubs, and declared it to be sporting equipment. It worked for him, but I must note that he was not on an international flight. Just domestic, and it took place before 9/11.

L Fitzgerald

Likes (received)

I have used the hard-case golf case and have had absolutely no problem! Everyone says, "Oh, getting in a game of golf?" I just smile and say, "Yup." The great thing about the hard-case is that (1) you can pack about 4 swords without dissasembling them, (2) you can pack most of your keikogi, etc.; and (3) they have wheels!!

Raymond, lemme know when you are in my AO [area of operations]! I can't "play" on Wed/Thu because I work a second job .. but we can figure something out!

Remember: Golf Bag!! Later I'll try to find a lind ... I'm being pushed off the computer right now. Cheers!

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default As Promised ...

Here's one case:

http://www.golfguard.net/

Press release: http://www.businesswire.com/photowir...21572035.shtml

Unfortunately, they don't quote price. I have a similar one that cost about $75.00
    =========
    The SKB case is $99 ... they have more expenisve models, too:
    http://www.wheatroadgolf.com/skb/golf.htm
    =========
    And here's [a larger one??] from the same company on E-Bay for $42 [6 bids so far]. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1576857535

Happy Trails,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default OMIGOD!!! What's he carrying????? Security, watch this person.

One other thing ... if you carry a gun case EVERYBODY will be watching you. If you carry a golf bag (or fishing rod tube) you're practically ignored.

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Wink Gun cases, no problems.

Hi all,
    Lots of interesting info. I've travelled to the U.S. on many occasions, both prior to and after the 9/11 tragedy.
    I use one of those aluminium(aluminum for you yanks) clad gun cases.
    It has two key locks and two padlocks. I have had no problems as long as I check it in as special luggage.
    On my last trip (April this year) I wasn't even asked what was in the case....at Phoenix airport or LAX Los Angeles. When I arrived in Melbourne I had declared only wooden products (I was carrying about 5 wooden weapons and 2 shinken). Customs were only interested in the wooden weapons for quarantine reasons.
    I really don't think 9/11 has made a scrap of difference to airport security.
    Worry about which case will protect your sword the best
    Best wishes

Howard Quick

Shinkendo Australia - Shibucho
    Senjutsu Ryu Jujitsu
    Kokusai Toyama Ryu Renmei

Likes (received)

Unhappy Golf Case Problems (maybe)

Although a golf case can work for most people, those of us who use modern nodachi are out of luck size-wise; a golf case is too short. I generally also have one or two Jo in tow as well which the golf case also does not handle.

Measure twice, buy once.

HTH,
    Raymond Sosnowski

Likes (received)

Default gun case camouflaged

I took an idea from Greg Huff-sensei, and put my gun case in a box. In my case it was the box the gun case came in, which unfortunately had "gun case" written all over it. So I reached into my bag of stickers pulled from otherwise discarded junk mail, and plastered the box with decals from Greenpeace, Whale Adoption Project, ASPCA, Cousteau Society, Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Fund, Amnesty International, Sierra Club, Planetary Society, etc. Then I covered it all with clear plastic tape to keep them from curling up. It works well, and I think the stickers and tape help keep the box from being torn up too much.
    I hope this helps.
    Emily Egan
    www.clear-lake-iaido.com

Likes (received)

Default pic's of gun case

For anyone interested, here's a link to the place where I bought my case. It is the single gun case but it comfortably holds two shinken, one wakizashi and a cleaning kit.
    gun case
    Best wishes

Howard Quick

Senjutsu Ryu Jujitsu

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Nice Pix

Thanks for the pix, Robert.

I also have two of the gray tubes. I originally got them for carrying Naginata, and realized that they quite work well in a pinch for Jo and Iaito almost as long.

For air transport, I duct tape the seams, joints, holes, and expansion mechanism; it helps to reduce the wear-and-tear from baggage handlers, and I worry less about it being loaded or unloaded in inclement weather. I also tape over the locks so that they cannot snag on anything.

About the only thing that I have found that they are not good for are Yumi (Japanese long bows), because the rise on most unstrung Yumi exceeds the diameter of even the large capacity tubes, and it is unhealthy to force them out of their shapes at rest. But that's another story.

Regards,
    Ray Sosnowski

P.S., Emily, thank you for the tip from Huff-s. I'll have to talk to him about it the next time I see him.

Likes (received)

I know firearms are required to be locked on all flights. Does anybody have experience with checking/locking gun-cases containing iaito? Is it possible to take the same precautions as firearms when checking these items or is this a reserved status? I've called around a bit and just get a confused "no" from various airlines/agencies, but I also have the impression they don't know and don't want to be bothered to find out about such a rare request.

As this thread is quite old, as are many others dealing with this topic, has anybody else recently looked into travel options with iaito considering current conditions?

If it helps to know, I will be travelling from the US, making one domestic stop, to Tokyo.

Thank you,
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

Default Old is right!!!! This thread has whiskers.

I travel to the US every year, sometimes with swords sometimes without. I've also travelled interstate both here in Oz as well as in the US.
    Every time I travel I am informed at the checkin counter, yes you can lock your case but we'll probably break it open to check the contents. I find it easier to leave it unlocked. Some will lock it for you if you hand them the locks. I'm sure it's easier to check guns in as there is a procedure for that. As soon as you say swords, they have no idea what to do!
    First time leaving LA after 9/11, they opened my case and took the swords out and then they unsheathed them. I could here this happening from the other side of the screen. Only thing I could ask was that they be careful and not cut themselves.
    A gun case stands out, and yes everyone see's it. That's a good thing in my books....alot less likely to be stolen as it's so conspicuous!
    Best wishes

Howard Quick

Senjutsu Ryu Jujitsu

Likes (received)

Has anyone seen Snakes on a Plane? If they can get on, you'll have no problems... ;-) I have a visual of a load of snakes in long cardboard poster tubes, all looking really obvious and attracting no suspicion, mainly due to the NO SNAKES HERE stickers all over them.

;-)
    Richard Diston

'Finder of car keys and small mammals'

Likes (received)

i'd lock them just incase
    and ring all the airports you will be visiting to let them know what your carrying. no doubt youll still have troubles but try and cover every option
    like dont go via heathrow
    good luck and hope you have a good journey
    deborah elizabeth bell
    see spells deb- aint my mum clever

Likes (received)

I take my swords all over the place, I always lock them. It is not required, but baggage handlers are fairly low paid employees. I use a Pelican gun case with a large silver taped sign on the side stating "Martial Arts Equipment, No Firearms". If you cannot be there when they are inspected, ask them to please lock it when they are finished. You can also purchase TA approved locks which they can open themselves, but which the baggage handlers can't. This is the best way to go in my opinion. I have heard of people having the lock on their cases broken open, but I always tell them when I check in that my swords are expensive so I want them locked up. They have always told me how to make sure it gets locked before it gets on the plane.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Likewise. Travelling has been no problem this year with the TSA locks and some of those plastic zipline locks (any hardware store). I put them on the (gun) case as I am checking it; about half the time somebody insists on seeing the "fencing equipment". The case has four lockpoints, one or two get a lock and the rest get zipped. Make sure to get TSA locks with shanks long enough to get on the case.

You can send them in with just the ziplines, but that's a little nerve-wracking for me.

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast