Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tachikata and Fukyu katas

Likes (received)

Default Tachikata and Fukyu katas

Could someone tell me about the origins of these katas (Tachikata and the Fukyu katas)? And why aren't they still performed in the IOGKF curriculum?
    Filipe Magalhães

::: Search Your Inside :::

"True refinement seeks simplicity."

Likes (received)

I once during a meeting trained Tachikata and Fukyukata Dai San (I don't know if its well written) but in the IOGKF those katas were "abandoned"... I don't know why, and I don't even know "where were they from"... But in the past in the IOGKF they were done...
    Filipe Magalhães

::: Search Your Inside :::

"True refinement seeks simplicity."

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kenzo
    Teru Chinen Sensei said they are from Okinawa around 1950.
    fukyu kata dai itchi, dai ni and dai san
    Are these the same kata as featured in Nagamine's book, "The Essence Of Okinawan Karate"? IOW, Fukyu kata ni = Gekisai Dai Ichi?

What is Fyukyu Kata San? Is it Gekisai Dai Ni?

Rob

Likes (received)

I was taught Fukyukata 1 and 2 at Morio Higaonna sensei's Yoyogi dojo in the late 1970s but we didn't practise them very much. I later dropped them also. I was taught a kicking form by one of the senior foreign students known to us as Kihon Dai San which I don't think was ever taught as part of the formal syllabus of the dojo. I still teach and practise Kihon dai san which I think is practised by some Goju groups, although I have never seen it done.
    Harry Cook

Likes (received)

Default Yes..

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais

Are these the same kata as featured in Nagamine's book, "The Essence Of Okinawan Karate"? IOW, Fukyu kata ni = Gekisai Dai Ichi?

What is Fyukyu Kata San? Is it Gekisai Dai Ni?
    Rob: Fukyugata Ni does = Gekisai Dai Ichi. Nagamine Shoshin adopted it from Miyagi's Goju Ryu.

I don't know about Fukyugata San.
    Bryan Cyr (pronounced "SEER")

Likes (received)

Default Re: Yes..

Originally posted by Tatsu

Rob: Fukyugata Ni does = Gekisai Dai Ichi. Nagamine Shoshin adopted it from Miyagi's Goju Ryu.

I don't know about Fukyugata San.
    Yes Matsubayshi Fukyu Gata Ni is Goju Geka Sai Dai Ichi.

But, Goju Ryu Fukyu gata are not Geka Sai forms. Filipe was asking about the Goju Fukyu kata and why they are no longer in the IOGKF syllabus. I have no idea. CHinen Sensei still teaches them. George Yanase may be able to answer your question he visits e-budo sometimes. I think sanseiryu is his handle. I haven't seen him around here lately. You could try to PM him.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Default FYI

Originally posted by sanseiryu
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the comments about the Kenshikai site. Here's a link to an article about the Fukyugata. Titled The 1940 Karate-Do Special Committee: The Fukyugata Promotional Kata, by Charles Goodin.
    Scroll down to June 7, 2001 for the article.
    http://seinenkai.com/
    George Yanase

I don't if posting cross threads is against some internet law or not but the above quote is something from another thread with a link to a good article about the history of Geka Sai.

BTW, I reccomended you PM Mr. Yanase not because of the above quote but because I believe he was involved with the IOGKF at one time.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Hi Ed, thanks for the props, but sorry, can't help you with that info. My association to the IOGKF syllabus was thru my sensei, not through the organization itself. He taught only the twelve kata plus Higaonna Sanchin(with the turns). In Kenshikai, Hokama Sensei does have basic or Fukyu type kata in his school, which he calls of course, Fukyugata (similar to most 1st katas) and Kyozai kata which introduces shuto blocking, kick punch combinations, nekoashi dachi and mawashiuke. He also does a version of Nifuanchi kata with the tetchu (small hand-held pointed sticks).
    George Yanase

Likes (received)

Must be written in a different Kanji as the only reference that I heard about Tachikata was that it meant your stances.
    Mark Posselius

Yep, and the practice goes on!!!

Likes (received)

The Dachi Kata, Formation 11 and 12, as well as Fukyu Kata 1-3, are all still taught by Chinen Sensei and the Jundokan International. I recently asked some questions regarding these kata and wAS told that they (all but Fukyu 3) were part of the Jundokan Honbu syllabus back in the 1950s and 1960s. I was told that Miyazato sensei created Fukyu kata Ni, and that Chinen Sensei developed Fukyu Kata San.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Likes (received)

We practice all of the kata above my Sensei was taught all three of the Fukyu kata by Chinen Sensei in the seventies .
    I can see the reason for confusion with geksai dai ichi and fukyu dai ni I think shorin ryu teach geksai ichi as this and in goju ryu we have three variations based on the first Fukyu kata

Likes (received)

Before Sensei passed away he upped the tachi kata to formation 13 I think. or maybe it was 11 and he upped it 12. I and 2 others were doing Kendo together and on a break we were discussing Kendo and that day he got the idea of adding Sankyo to the form ..... which is also found in Kururunfa. Joy! Sankyo is a treat when you our our age and gasshuku is on its 2nd or 3rd day.
    Ed Boyd