Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hakuho-ryu Aikibudo (Hakuhokai) / Okabayashi Shogen Ryoichi

Likes (received)

Default Hakuho-ryu Aikibudo (Hakuhokai) / Okabayashi Shogen Ryoichi

Hi,

Mr. Tolsen brought up the name "Hakuhokai Daito ryu" in another message on e-budo. I've also heard of a Okabayshi Shogen in affiliation with this branch.

For the record, can we get some tempered comments on the lineage of this branch, and what kind of connection it has with the Daito ryu as transmitted by Takeda Sokaku?

If we can keep it clean, this will stay up for future reference!

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Richard A Tolson Guest

Nathan,
    First, the last name is Tolson (derived from Son of the Toll Keeper), not Tolsen.
    Second, The Hakuho Kai is a branch of the Daito-ryu founded by Okabayashi Shogen. It is based in Osaka, Japan.
    Okabayashi Sensei studied under both Hisa Takuma and Takeda Tokimune. He received his kyoju dairi (teaching license) from Hisa Takuma and his shihan-level license from Takeda Tokimune. He also received a menkyo in Ono-ha Itto-ryu (Sokaku-den) from Takeda Tokimune.
    BTW, Okabayashi Sensei will be here in the U.S. doing a seminar for the Hakuho Kai study group at the Itten Dojo (Enola, PA) in September.
    Hope this helps!

Likes (received)

Following is some additional information on the Daito-ryu Hakuho Kai seminars planned for September in New York City and Pennsylvania, courtesy of Mr. Robin Brown of Hakuho Kai New York:

Okabayashi Shogen will return to the New York area for a Training/Lecture Weekend on Saturday, September 9th and Sunday, September 10th, with an additional training session in Pennsylvania on Monday, September 11th, 2000.

Accompanying Okabayashi Sensei will be Hakuho Kai Fukuoka branch chief Shige Ozeki.

This year's program, our fifth annual event, will include seminars to commemorate the new millennium and a lecture in which Okabayashi Sensei will reflect on his 11-year
    training with Tokimune Takeda and Hisa Takuma. He will contrast his training with these masters to the challenges of training today. Okabayashi Sensei's comments will help us direct our goals and maximize the benefits of training in a traditional martial art in the 21st century.

All martial artists will enjoy and benefit from this unique opportunity to share Okabayashi Sensei's insights and stories of training with two of the greatest martial artists of the 20th century. A question and answer period will follow the lecture.

NYC Training Schedule:

• Saturday, September 9, 2000 (2:15 - 5:00 PM)
    • Sunday, September 10, 2000 (2:15 - 5:00 PM)

Shin Budo Kai Dojo
    425 W 14th St, NYC
    (212) 691-1378

NYC Lecture:

• Saturday, September 9, 2000 (8:00 PM)
    (Location to be announced; please call for info)

Fees: $55 one day; $20 lecture only; $100 both days + lecture

Phone Registration by September 5th:
    (201) 610-0086 (add $5 for late registration)

Pennsylvania Schedule:

Monday, September 11, 2000 (6:30 - 9:00 PM)

Itten Dojo
    4425 Valley Rd, Suite 300
    Enola, PA 17025-1444
    (717) 728-8871
    itten_dojo@hotmail.com

Fee: $45 one day
    (Please call or e-mail for PA seminar registration flier.)

Likes (received)

Default Oops

Mr. Tolson,

Sorry about the name(s) spelling, I had typed up the post in a bit of a haste.

Thanks for the info and seminar information.

I'd love to have someone post a review of the seminar here if some of our list-ka go to it.

Does anyone happen to know about when the Hakuhokai was founded, and are there authorized dojo's or study groups in the US or elsewhere?

Regards,

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

Mr. Scott --

I will forward your request for Hakuho Kai historical information to the people who have the details. In the meantime, I can provide a partial answer to the question of dojo locations. As I understand it, there are a dozen affiliated dojo in Japan, with a combined enrollment of about 250 people.

Outside of Japan, there is a branch dojo in both Italy and France, and there are two authorized dojo in the United States, in New York City and Milan, Michigan. The class at the Itten Dojo (near Harrisburg, PA) is organized as a "study group," since we don't yet have any members graded in the Hakuho Kai. Let me first check to see that I have current e-mail addresses and phone numbers, and I'll post contact information for the affiliated dojo.

I'll be glad to provide a report on Okabayashi Sensei's visit. Following is a report on a seminar we enjoyed earlier this month, that was conducted by Rod and Mitsuko (Hashimoto) Uhler, two of Okabayashi Sensei's senior students.

• Daito-ryû and Ono-ha Ittô-ryû at the Itten Dôjô

On August 5th and 6th, 2000, the staff and students of the Itten Dôjô in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, were honored to host Rod and Mitsuko Uhler for seminars addressing Daitô-ryû aikijûjutsu (Hakuhô Kai) and Ono-ha Ittô-ryû (Sokaku-den) kenjutsu. The Uhlers currently live in Osaka, Japan, and are direct students of Okabayashi Shôgen, the founder and chief instructor of the Hakuhô Kai and the Kobu Kai (the sub-organization within the Hakuhô Kai devoted to kenjutsu).

For the Saturday classes, the Uhlers focused training on the concepts of maai (distancing) and kuzushi (unbalancing). Training began with a series of unique stretching and warm-up exercises which, while not an "official" part of the Hakuhô Kai curriculum, were new and very interesting to the attendees. Next came kote-shirabei ("wrist research"), a drill in which participants work their way around a circle of their fellow students, applying a set a basic techniques to get a feel of the differences in effect on (and the limits of flexibility in) their partners. The drill is at once a means to augment combat effectiveness and increase the safety of practice.

The Uhlers started the core of the training with one of the hallmarks of the Hakuhô Kai: bushi-no-hôkohô (the body mechanics and method of walking that were employed by the bushi in ancient times). Unlike modern peoples, who walk with a swinging of the arms that places shoulders out-of-line with hips, the bushi were trained from the time of their first steps to walk with shoulders and hips in alignment vertically, allowing a sword to be drawn from any point in their gait. This manner of walking and maintenance of what Rod Uhler termed "the internal lines" of the body has profound implications for technique. The Hakuhô Kai believes that adaptation of classical arts to modern body mechanics destroys a priceless heritage, and Okabayashi Sensei is determined to preserve Daitô-ryû and Ono-ha Ittô-ryû in an unadulterated form.

Next, the Uhlers taught an introduction to Ippon-dori, and worked through a series of techniques that illustrated the effects on combat of variations in the distance at which opponents engage. The students learned different means to close or control the distance, and in the process became acquainted with a variety of pins and atemi-waza. The students also began to catch glimpses of the staggering depth of the Daitô-ryû.

In the afternoon, the focus of training shifted to kuzushi, with a series of idori (seated) techniques and attention to sensing the degree of balance of the opponent. As we transitioned to standing techniques, the majority of waza taught were fundamental, but there were occasional oku-waza (secret techniques) presented that engendered a fair degree of astonishment throughout the ranks.

The women of the dôjô took particular — and rather sadistic, I'd have to say — pleasure in watching Mitsuko-san bounce various men off the mat. She had most of us whimpering at one point or another. Come to think of it, she seemed to be grinning most of the time herself...

On Sunday, participants picked up bokken (some of them for the first time) for an historic event: the first time the Ono-ha Ittô-ryû kenjutsu preserved by the Kobu Kai has been shared with anyone outside the organization, anywhere in the world.

We began with some suburi (cutting exercises) designed to introduce some of the basic cuts and footwork. When I say "some," I mean a couple of thousand cuts in the course of about half an hour. Mr. Uhler had planned more, but Okabayashi Sensei (God bless him) suggested the intended diet might be a little rich.

Most of the senior kenjutsu students from the Itten Dôjô brought proper, Ittô-ryû style bokken, figuring that the size and shape of the wooden sword could be critical to the kata we'd be learning. These bokken have a differently-shaped tsuka (handle) than the bokken we normally use in the Tenshin-ryû, and they rest at a slightly different "groove" in the hands. Within minutes, we all had gigantic blisters lying a fraction of an inch from our carefully developed calluses. Following the first break, the Tenshin-ryu seniors were readily identifiable by the athletic tape wrapping their left hands...

Watching the Uhlers demonstrate the kata and kumitachi they presented was pure joy. I've seen some impressive kenjutsu, and theirs is consistently fine: powerful, precise, and just exuding spirit and aggressiveness.

In the section of training addressing kawase (avoiding or dodging), students were required to move in such a way as to cause their opponent to miss a full-power cut by an inch or less, leaving the opponent utterly vulnerable to the counter.

As if there wasn't enough tension in the dôjô already, the techniques the Uhlers employed to convey the principle of suriage (sliding up) were the most aggressive of the day, leading more than one novice participant to the painful realization that a bokken is a dangerous weapon in its own right.

Training concluded with the kata Kobushi-no-Harai, which embodied some fairly complex footwork, kawase, and a couple of suriage. It was a very dynamic finale to a day which flew by in a blink.

Overall, the weekend was one of the finest we have enjoyed, and the degree of consideration and physical preparation the Uhlers put into their planning was thoroughly evident throughout. And it was just the appetizer — Okabayashi Sensei himself will visit our dôjô for the first time the evening of September 11th, 2000, during his upcoming North American seminar tour. Attendance of this seminar will be by invitation, but persons wishing to attend can request an invitation by contacting Robert Wolfe at "itten_dojo@hotmail.com".

Likes (received)

Mr. Wolfe,

Thank you for the reply and review. It sounds pretty interesting.

I did notice reference to Tenshin ryu, and your email address indicates that you may be part of a dojo under Mr. Lovret's group. Is there any affiliation between the Hakuhokai Daito ryu and Mr. Lovret's group, or is your participation simply coincidental? Just trying to get a feel for the Hakuhokai style.

I look forward to reports from your upcoming seminar.

Regards,

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Mr. Scott --

There is ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION between Mr. Lovret and the Hakuho Kai.

The members of our dojo found out about the Hakuho Kai by chance, when Rod Uhler visited one of our classes while home from Japan for Christmas several years ago. We developed a friendship, and several of our members had a chance subsequently to attend one of Okabayashi Sensei's seminars in New York. Two of the people who'd gone to New York started to make occasional trips to New York to train with Robin Brown and, after about a year or so, received permission to start our Hakuho Kai study group.

Likes (received)

Wink That wasn't so bad, was it?

Thank you for your reply Mr. Wolfe.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Hi,

I asked about Okabayashi Shogen sensei from Takumakai's Umei Shinichiro sensei. This is what I heard.

Okabayashi sensei started Daitoryu in Daibukan dojo. Daibukan is in Nishinomiya city near Osaka. His teacher was Oogami Kenkiti, who is one of Hisa Takuma's students. Maybe he has kyojudairi but I'm not sure. When Takumakai started, Oogami Kenkiti belonged to Takumakai. You can watch his techniques in the old 70's NHK Daito ryu video. After this video was made, he left Takumakai, but he had good relationship with Takumakai. When ever Takumakai had a big event, he joined in with his students. However, suddenly he did not join these events any more. To my knowledge this was because his students left him and joined Takumakai at every Takumakai's event. Okabayashi sensei was one of them. There were also many others who are now active in Takumakai.

When Okabayashi sensei joined Takumakai, he had already good skills in Daitoryu. He learned from Hisa Takuma only for a short time. However because he had good skills he got Kyojudairi almost same time with Kawabe Takeshi sensei. Kawabe sensei is Takumakai's head teacher (and also my teacher). At that time Hisa sensei was too old to move smoothly. Okabayashi sensei got a letter of introduction from Hisa sensei, and went to Hokkaido to study from Takeda Tokimune Sensei. He stayed in Hokkaido for a long time ( I don't know the exact time). After this he visited often Takeda Tokimune sensei in Hokkaido and studied his style a lot. In addition to this he learned Karate for a long time. With all this he formed his own personal style.

When Okabayashi came back to Takumakai, he was one of the best teachers of Takumakai in Osaka. Many people wanted to learn Daitoryu from him. His style was quite different from the other teachers of Takumakai; Kawabe sensei, Kobayashi sensei, and even Mori sensei. His style was very hard and straight. However, nobody complained, because he is a very good teacher. If somebody know Takumakai's Araki sensei, he was among the first students and also the best student of Okabayashi sensei. Umei sensei has been in Okabayashi sensei's house several times to learn Daitoryu from him. Every person in Takumakai believed that his style and his explanation of techniques were the real Daitoryu.

One day, ten years ago, Umei sensei got a seminar announcement of instructors' seminar from Takumakai office. This announcement said that a special seminar will be held in Wakimachi, Shikoku by Chiba sensei. Chiba sensei is a student of Nakatsu Heizaburo. Nakatsu Heizaburo sensei studied Daitoryu at Asahi Shinbun dojo with Takuma Hisa sensei. Their teachers where, as you know, Ueshiba Morihei sensei and Takeda Sokaku sensei. Most teachers in Takumakai didn't know Chiba sensei at that time. Umei sensei didn't know either. He knew only that Kawabe sensei learn's from an old teacher in Shikoku. All the members who joined this seminar were very surprised. Chiba sensei's style and techniques were strange and unique, but very familiar. Just like deja vu. Just like Sokaku Takeda.

Jyrki Rytilä
    Daito-ryu aikijujutsu Takumakai, Helsinki
    http://personal.inet.fi/urheilu/fudoshin/2index.htm
    Jyrki Rytilä
    Shibucho, Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Takumakai
    Helsinki, Finland
    jyrki.rytila@daitoryu.fi

Likes (received)

Hi all,

Jyrki:
    >His teacher was Oogami Kenkiti, who is one of Hisa >Takuma's students. Maybe he has kyojudairi but I'm not >sure.

Ohgami Kenkichi Sensei is indeed Kyoju Dairi, and 8th Dan. Both received from Hisa Sensei. Supposedly Hisa Sensei did not give anyone a higher rank than 8th because he himself was only 8th Dan (received from the Aikikai I believe!).

From what I understand, and please someone correct my if I'm wrong, but he gave people two sets or ranks, the "traditional" ie Kyoju Dairi, derived from his Menkyo Kaiden, and a judo style Dan ranking, derived from his 8th Dan.

Jyrki:
    >After this video was made, he left Takumakai, but he had >good relationship with Takumakai. When ever Takumakai had >a big event, he joined in with his students. However, >suddenly he did not join these events any more. To my >knowledge this was because his students left him and >joined Takumakai at every Takumakai's event

I understand that this was due to personality "differences" between himself and the other Takumakai heads. Too bad really, I'd like to exchange with and meet some other Takumakai people as we're all from the same root (Hisa).

I'm curious, Jyrki, but do you guys practice the Hiden Mokoruku techniques as taught by Tokimune Sensei?? Hisa never taught these, and the Takumakai started teaching these as a result of their relationship with the late headmaster. Since Ohgami was independent, this never happened in his organization.

As an afterthough, it is interesting to note that Hisa Sensei called his dojo the Kansai Aikido club, and always considered what he taught had more to do with do than jutsu!

Where was I going with this? Just trying to shed some light on other less well known Daito Ryu teachers such as Ohgami Sensei, and Okabayashi Sensei!

Cheers,
    Mike Preradovic

Mike Preradovic

Haimeman Guest

Question

hello,

I came across some terms for breathing skills in
    an old Hakuhokai newsletter. Can anyone privately
    e-mail me and shed some light on them? I was
    wondering if they are done by all daito Ryu groups
    or is this only Hakuhokai material?

They are - tenko no jutsu, jinchu no jutsu, chiso
    no jutsu, and nyu shin no jutsu. I do alot of
    kokyuho and would love to understand these. Thanks.

James feleciano

Likes (received)

Hello,

Kondo Sensei's new book on Ikkajo makes mention of the importance of breathing, but I haven't gotten a chance to finnish reading it yet.

Anyone else have any insight?

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Smile breathing

The breathing should take the same shape as the technique. Don't force it.

chris davis 200 Guest

Default Hakkuho Ryu Aiki Jujutsu

Hi people,

I train with the UK branch dojo of Daito Ryu Aiki JuJutsu Hakkuho Kai headed by Okabayashi Sensei.

Does anyone on here know whether there has been a change to the name of this organisation to Hakkuho Ryu Aiki Jujutsu?

It is my undestanding that it has, but i cannot find any relevant information on the change?

cheers
    Chris

Likes (received)

Default Any new news

Any new news on the Hakuhokai, such as name change to hakuho ryu aikijujutsu? Thanks.
    Erin O'Neill

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast