Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Beginner questions

Likes (received)

Hello Sensei-

First I would like to thank you for Shinkendo, I have looked for an art like this for quite a while and only recently discovered it.

I have never studied martial arts, and I am currently looking for a dojo. One of them in my area (Atlanta Budokan) has classes in Shinkendo as well as Aikibujutsu, Sensei Scott mentioned this dojo to me and I appreciate it greatly. What are your thoughts on a beginner taking both courses?

I have been reading back issues of the ISF newsletter, and I have a question about your article "Shinkendo's Practical Sword and Price" (August '99). It seems like there are many different swords on the market right now, particularly the Paul Chen swords from China. How do you see the sword market today? Do you think the prices of swords suitable for Shinkendo will stay the same? If the prices continue to increase, would buying a sword now be a good idea, even if I am not ready to practice with it?

Thank you-
    Brian Busch

Obata T Guest

Hello,

It depends on your energy. I think that the Aikibujutsu exercises may be a little hard on your body for the first time. It is best that you watch the classes first, and if you feel that you would like to learn Aikibujutsu, I
    recommend that you try.

The Atlanta Budokan sensei is a very serious and talented teacher, I hope that you will enjoy Shinkendo and Aikibujutsu (if you choose to learn these martial arts).

We have Shinkendo students buy swords when the instructors think that the students are ready.

The reason for this is because most new students dont really know what a good sword is, a good sword is not only about beauty, strength, etc. You must actually hold and swing it to see if it feels correct and has a comfortable balance, length and weight for you.

With used and antiques, you must also check for cracks or
    scratches that may be on the sword. The best sword to buy is a good sword regardless of whether it is old or recently made, even if it is expensive.

For example, I have used my sword (made by Mr. Kobayashi) for 23 years. If you compare a sword to a car, it is very cheap and it lasts a long time. However, since Tameshigiri is a part of Shinkendo, a temporary practice sword like a gunto or modern made sword is acceptable.

However, I would wish that instructors and serious, advanced students to have a good sword with a good quality blade, hilt, scabbard, etc.

The most important advice I can give is that one practices carefully without getting hurt.

A sword SHOULD NEVER be used for violence.

International Shinkendo Federation,