Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Succession techniques: Do they exist?

Leo Guest

Question

Greetings Obata Soke,

I learned from a source that in the past there was such thing as "succession techniques". It seemed to be the best or "ultimate technique" in a school and that the technique is only taught to the one person that will carry on as the next generation leader of the system.

I am curious about your opinion in this issue. Is this true for the systems that you know of?

Also, aside from successor-only-techniques, upon reaching the very senior levels (say, RokuDan or NanaDan), have students already learned all the techniques that exist in the system, or are there the "reserved" techniques that are only taught to those in the next level?

Doomo Arigato Gozaimasu,

Leo

Dokuganryuu Guest

Been watching that anime again, eh?

From what I've read, there were no "secret techniques" taught. Nathan Scott posted a reply to this question on another message board and I'm sure he can elaborate more on it, but it's basically untrue, just a dramatic notion.

Leo Guest

Well, no, not that anime again
    I was just following Nathan Scott Sensei's suggestion at the forum to ask the matter directly to Obata Soke. So I did - and it's just for cross-comparison of what somebody of the Soke's level would say on an issue like that.

Sory if it's a dull question

Leo Song

Obata T Guest

This is called "Isshi Soden".

Long time ago, instructors taught students conservatively, so no outsiders would see them...their goal was not to spread their art.

Well, in our martial art. We have both Killing and Saving, but we are also Chudo Seishin as I've mentioned several times.

In modern times, we teach students to care for their partner, so sll students can enjoy the art. However, I am confident our techniques can actually be used in war successfully if need be. This is my opinion, but I don't think a Budo is complete without both the qualities of Killing and Saving.

But a martial art that does not lean only to one side [extremes] can be considered a "Chudo".

As for your questions, I may know, and I may not know. But I think if I do state what I know publicly, then it is possible that other groups may complain.

If I talk to you in person someday, we may discuss it. But I'm afraid I'm not comfortable with leaving such information in writing.

International Shinkendo Federation,