Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sageo

Likes (received)

Talking Sageo

Hi all,

For those that actually wear the daisho when doing iai:

Do you tie the sageo for both the daito and the shoto?

Where does the sageo go?

Thanks!
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Default which style of iai?

Which style of iai are you asking about? Different styles go about it in slightly different ways.

Kiz
    Kiz Belle

Likes (received)

In Mugairyu Iaihyodo, I've never seen anyone tie the sageo for the wakizashi. Sageo for the katana is tied in the normal way.

Regards,
    renfield kuroda

Likes (received)

The daito's sageo has to be tied into the hakama?

If so, why would the wakizashi's sageo be allowed to rest wrapped in its saya?

Also, why wakizashi have sageo?

Sugino SenSei appears in a TSKSR tape using a daito without sageo...

As far as i have learned, sageo are the samurai version of the cords that some survival knifes carry (sageo would be an utility cord).

If so, to have a sageo in both katana AND wakizashi would look foolish, unnecessary and exagerated.
    Renato Costa de Alcântara

Likes (received)

Talking Wakizashi no Sageo

Hello,

So, in the case of not tying the sageo for the wakizashi, does the sageo stay in the form of the display knot when initially bought? Or is it completely removed like the kendo kata? What form is the sageo in for the wakizashi?

Also, in samurai films, it seems like the daito is actually taken out when one sits down. In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to tie the sageo for the wakizashi and not have sageo on the daito?

David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Talking Style?

Hi Kiz,

My question is actually generic because I like to know what different styles do as well.

I've also wondered about the orientation of the two swords in the obi and which one is put in to the obi first and removed first...etc etc
    David Pan

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Okay, what little I've been taught I'll share. Be aware that this may have no basis in bearing on any koryu practice...

When doing our Iai kata, the sageo is tucked up under the hakama himo in front where it's tied. The sageo itself isn't tied, although I suppose it could be.

The wakizashi is [was] worn all the time, so obviously it goes into the obi first. I've been taught the tsuba of the wakizashi should lie right at the centre of your belly, so therefore it is angled pretty sharply across your body. The daito is worn as much as possible horizontally over your hip, in parallel to the direction you are facing. One important point of wear is that the wakizashi should go through an inner layer of the obi, and the katana through an outer layer so that the two saya don't rub together.
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

Originally posted by David T Anderson
    One important point of wear is that the wakizashi should go through an inner layer of the obi, and the katana through an outer layer so that the two saya don't rub together.
    Hmm...wouldn't you want the longer heavier sword in betweeb the inner two layers of the obi so there's more stuff holding it up? So, wouldn't you want the lighter wakizashi in between the outer two layers of the obi?

Thanks!
    David Pan

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Default this is what I was taught

Hi David (Pan)

I was pretty much taught to do what David Anderson above says to do, the wakizashi goes through the inner two folds of the obi, and the katana goes through the outer two folds of the obi. This could be because you generally want to get to your katana first in a sudden confrontation.... but I don't know if that is the reason for sure, no-one ever told me in so many words why, I'm just hypothesising. Another thought is that because the saya of the katana is longer, you need that bit of extra movement to draw your sword safely and effectively. But again I'm just guessing there.

I've primarily done MJER, but I have also had a few lesson in Toyama and have just started seitei, and I do know that all three have markedly different ways to tie the katana sageo. I can't remember what happens to the wakazashi's sageo... I think it may be just looped around in all three, but I've got a vague idea there are some styles out there that tie it. I've never owned a paired set so I've never really made it a point to remember, but I suppose I should have anyway.

You've got me interested. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.

Cheers
    Kiz Belle

Likes (received)

For those who wear daisho in Mugairyu Iaihyodo, the wakizashi is put on first, inserted between the outer 2 layers of the obi, then katana is inserted between the inner 2 layers of the obi.
    It's tought to explain the exact positioning of the wakizashi, but it is more in front of the body, such that when reaching for the katana, one reaches under the wakizashi tsuka with the right hand.

Regards,
    renfield kuroda