Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nine Ryu-ha of the Bujinkan - are they legitimate?

Likes (received)

Looks like there is ample stuff to read if we do a search in this forum on Hatsumi...I spoke too soon trying to help you out. I just never bothered to look it up myself. Figures that it has been talked about!
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Koryu.com sums it up fairly well;
    http://koryu.com/library/ninjutsu.html
    Jakob Ryngen

Likes (received)

Mr. Atland,
    this may not be the best place to get a satisfying answer. The Koryu.com article is definitely worth reading, whatever your final opinion. E-budo members Ben Cole, Dale Seago, and Dan Weideman are reliable sources of information. Also, people active in the Koryu community in Japan like Jason Jennings (Buyu Books)would have have useful perspectives as well. There are actually very few people in the Bujinkan close enough to Hatsumi sensei to have an informed opinion and...I am not one of them. I am a curious guy myself (scientist) and I am quite happy with the Bujinkan and its background.

I really enjoy the KB Journal atthe Itten Dojo site. I look forward to the monthly re-caps. One in particular featured Kaze Arashi Ryu made me a little curious.
    a man who wears fur should never spit on a man who wears suede.

everest Guest

i'm not looking for info. to train in bujinkan just general opinion from practioners in other arts. actually i trained in that system about 6 years ago.currently i'm smr jo and aikido.

scott altland
    itten dojo,mechanicsburg,pa.

Likes (received)

Mr. Atland,
    I have talked with one koryu practioner who was formerly in the Bujinkan. His opinion of the organization was low with a key few exceptions. I enjoyed talking to him though the discussion never got aroung to historical veracity.

In my own experinence, there are not many people who claim to be Bujinkan members who have anything useful to say on the subject. I certainly don't! For your most reliable outsider opinions, ask the people who spend a lot of time training in Japan, read and write Japanese, and are not so busy.

What was your Bujinkan experience like?

Likes (received)

Three pounds of flax! Not increasing, not decreasing; just as it is!

Old topic. Pppptthhhhhttttt.

J. Vlach, Amsterdam

Likes (received)

Mr. Vlach,
    your response was not all that helpful. It's a fair question that I have heard many really interesting and informed answers to. Give Mr. Atland a chance to read some.

Likes (received)

Is the question whether Bujinkan is koryu or not, or whehter Bujinkan is a good organization or not? The latter can only be a matter of subjective opinion.
    Jakob Ryngen

Jonathon Sumner Guest

I would have to ask first of all, why even ask the question? I mean if you are asking in terms of academics... I would say that in Japan there is a standard in terms of aceptence by the Koryu comunity at large. Things such as lenage and historical documents are important, so is the acceptance of the the Koryu community in Japan. One might be able to show some documents and what not, and there are groups in Japan that think of themselves as Koryu who do not belong to the two main organizations. The point I am making is that it might depend largely on who you ask.

Also, as for a Ryu being Koryu or not, this point has nothing to do with a systems effectiveness. Some Koryu systems have been compleetly reinvented by people with no combate experience to base the reinvention on.

That was longer than I had hoped, just wanted to say that the answer depends on the motivation of why you are asking. The strength of any system isn't based on if a group is concidered koryu or gendai... but rather on the whole of the individuals who are part of the group. Lousy people can make a good system bad, and good people can make an "ify" system in a decent system.

Just my two cents worth...

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Jonathon Sumner Some Koryu systems have been compleetly reinvented by people with no combate experience to base the reinvention on.
    "Completely reinvented" and then accepted as koryu? What koryu system might that be?
    Jakob Ryngen

Mekugi Guest

Default Umm..yeah

Originally posted by pete lohstroh
    Also, people active in the Koryu community in Japan like Jason Jennings (Buyu Books)would have have useful perspectives as well.
    Who-da-what-da-huh?

Likes (received)

Mr. Ebert,
    may I ask you for clarification or are you poking fun at my wacky sentences?

If it's latter, I blame sticky keys and a loose macaque.

By the way, I would really be interested in your perspectives because of your Kukishinden Ryu affiliation.

Mekugi Guest

Originally posted by pete lohstroh
    Mr. Ebert,
    May I ask you for clarification?
    Sure!
    First, call me Russ. Mister Ebert is my dad.

What koryu community are you talking about?

Likes (received)

Ask any legit Japanese koryu sensei about Hatsumi and he'll tell you what they've told me:

Japanese:
    "Hatsumi-wa ninja-gokko o yatteiru."

English:
    "Hatsumi is the guy who plays ninja."

Regards,

r e n

Likes (received)

There was a good thread with some interesting and constructive arguments on both sides on budoseek a few months ago. Click here to go to it.

(This debate has been had again and again, however in the thread linked to above, there is very little sillyness, and it should help to explain the points of view of the varying vested interests in this debate.)

Alex Meehan
    Dublin, Ireland
    (www.happobiken.com)

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast