Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What happened to Kent Moyer's Okinawan Goju-ryu Karate Kobudo Kenshikai?

Likes (received)

Back at ya!
    Steven L. Malanoski

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: kenshikai

Originally posted by n2shotokai

Sorry, must have been someone else.

1. I have not competed for 25+ years.
    2. The only tournaments I have been to in the last 5 years is SKA Nisei week and Kubotas tourney @ Occidental College.

Since we live in the same area perhaps we will meet someday. It would be a pleasure!

Peace
    Sorry Steve, it must be my old age creeping up on me. My apologies.
    George Yanase

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: kenshikai

Originally posted by n2shotokai

Sorry, must have been someone else.

1. I have not competed for 25+ years.
    2. The only tournaments I have been to in the last 5 years is SKA Nisei week and Kubotas tourney @ Occidental College.

Since we live in the same area perhaps we will meet someday. It would be a pleasure!

Peace
    Sorry Steve, it must be my old age creeping up on me. My apologies.
    George Yanase

Likes (received)

Wow, thanks!! Glad to hear you're still going strong! It sounds very real.

Do you think I should drop my current training in the by comparison very fake and weak "Korean Karate" I'm in now? I think I'm about to get my "red belt", there was a belt test recently, it might be a good time to try something different!

On the other hand, I've only been taking classes three nights a week, once I get my red belt I'll be allowed to train every night there and get back in better shape. These classes are the only time I get for serious exercise, as my totalitarian parents won't let me exercise around their house (??!!?), I generally try to show up before the class so I can practice some extra calisthenics on my own first. Maybe I should wait and get myself back in shape training every night before I'd feel in shape enough to properly appreciate hard heavy real Goju classes! I don't know if I'll be ready for it until then! What do you think?

Jesse Peters

Likes (received)

Default training

Hi Jesse,
    It is hard to say what would be best for you. As you are about to reach red belt, which is brown belt in karate, I don't think that you should just drop it for something else just because another style sounds more real. You have your black belt in tae kwon do in sight, I think you should go ahead and achieve that first. You sound young, so you have time to change styles in the future. And certainly this is something you should discuss with your folks. Some reasons to change schools are, you can't afford it, teacher isn't fulfilling their obligation to you as a student by not teaching you what you need to know or training there is dangerous. If you can come up with a well-reasoned decision as to why you want to change styles or schools then you need to discuss this with your folks as they are probably the ones paying for your training. As for weak Korean karate, there are many of those, but there are also some very strong Korean schools here in L.A. I would suggest you speak with your teacher first and see if he feels that a more intensive program can be done for you, with more realistic self-defense which may incorporate joint locks, sweeping, low kicks, knee stikes, elbows and boxing combinations. He may or may not be receptive to that, perhaps he will think that you are too young or not yet at a level to be able to incorporate it into your training. Or he may simply not have that sort of training in mind for his school. These are things you need to find out.
    George Yanase

Likes (received)

Thanks!! Actually the style I'm currently training in is Korean Tang Soo Do Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan, and I'm 21 years old. I think maybe I'll wait until I get a "black belt".

Jesse Peters

Likes (received)

3 years later how time flies. I've got my blackbelt, my tuition payment to my previous school just ran out, your school has moved right next to me, and I'm ready to train any time! Should I come in for Wednesday evening class? What would be the best deal for membership (If I can train long term I would love to)? I already have a couple of plain white karategis white belt to train in.

Jesse Peters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2