Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aizu-han bujutsu

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 14th June 2014 at 06:03.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    Interesting point Rennis. In general, my training and experience professionally has taught me that people who lie or fabricate stories tend to keep things general, in hopes that they won't recount different details at a later date, and in hopes that the details won't be proven wrong with research.
    This is true enough now for someone making "public" claims. I have found that, in my experience at least, most of the original source material you will find concerning these types of arts will generally be material that at the time it was written was intended to be private. More often than not details are not laid out in a clear narrative because they are just simply already known to the reader. Most of the narrative story type of things we come across generally come from outside of the ryu, and more often than not are just simply that, stories used either for educational purposes or simply entertainment. Especially when big names are involved you start to get all kinds of stories, take most of the b.s. about Musashi out there for example. The Yagyu family, and Jubei in particular have been free targets for many years for entertainment purposes and all kinds of stories have arisen. Now if source Itto-ryu documents or teachings and similar documentation in Shinkage-ryu exists then we are probably on to something here.

Random thoughts,
    Rennis Buchner
    Rennis Buchner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2