Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: SCARS

Likes (received)

Honor Graduate of BUD/s class #105 for those of you who will be checking.

Hehhehheh, you're right of course. It's kinda humorous that people who won't take time to balance their checkbooks will go out of their way to prove or disprove someone's claim to belonging to an elite group. I understand it though but it's still funny.

USMC 3rd squad squad leader til third phase when I was fired for the other squads' closing ranks every time we came out of a column movement ...

for those of you .....

Lonewolfjujutsu Guest

An obsevation,
    Having met Charles Nelson while he and his wife resided in NYC, I found similarities in techniques between SCARS and Nelson's self defense system.
    Charlie didn't get into the details that Jerry did and of course there was a difference of personalities but many techniques were similar.

Now I am sure that you know of the reputation that Charlie had, along the lines of Col. Applegate so I am curious if certain techniques from old time combat vets are similar because of nessesity.

As far as over pricing for SCARS, Charlie charged me $400 for twenty or so lessons. If you ever saw his place, a mess, most people would of walked out.

While I understand the whole SAN SOO issue and SAFTA is because Lew Hicks and Jerry had a falling out, really it is up to the individual to decide what works best for them. SCARS is very basic as it was ment to be. Charles Nelson's self defense was also. So the point behind all the bashing...well it is kind of stupid.

I find that alot of forum people are very passionate about what they do and or practice to the point of tunnel vision. While I have learn a few things from the SCARS system, I do not use all of it. But at least they do not "head hunt" or kick box or MMA fight.

I think if Rex or Charlie came up with the system, it would be religeous. I think this was a major reason why Charlie was so low keyed as are most people of their caliper.

Wether it is Scars or BJJ it is always up to the clear thinking of the individual to use his tools/Attributes to fight and win. No one system is the answer. But what I like that Jerry has made clear, it is not about the technique, but the thinking behind the technique.

Anyone else study with Charles Nelson before he died?

Ed

But at least they do not "head hunt" or kick box or MMA fight.
    Any of those three are preferable to the SCARS methodology.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Publisher, The Martialist™
    For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Lonewolfjujutsu Guest

Maybe for the ring or sport fighting. Every important tactition from any time period has said never play the other guys game. But that is exactly what you do in boxing, MMA etc. In that arena you hope that you are better than the other guy, doing same thing. 50%/ 50% chance of winning at the start until you get lucky or the other guy makes a mistake. I think those odds are poor in H2H. But yet practictioners who who train in MMA, Boxing accept those odds. They practice until their techniques are refined, which is fine, but yet it is still a 50%/50% chance of winning. Not great odds if you ask me. I think that is the difference between popular main stream martial arts and programs like SCARS or what ever. SCARS may not be a popular system but at least thay do not advocate playing the other guys game. Something to be said for that. Ed
    Last edited by Lonewolfjujutsu; 5th July 2005 at 11:06.

Lonewolfjujutsu Guest

Lets look at SCARS, techniques and methodology,

A typical response to say a punch or grab would be a down strike to the radial nerve in Scars. Not unlike a response to a shomen or yokomen strike in kenjutsu.

Scars focuses on striking vital points of the human body. Kyusho jutsu, and not the Dillman crap either.

Wether you use a knife or empty hand the techniques are the same. I remember that being a central phylosophy in Kali.

The similarities to San Soo are apparent, not too many people bash Jimmy Woo.

Scars fights on the ground, not wrestle, different from BJJ, but what most people who follw Bruce Lee's teaching will state. If you get knocked down get back up.

Scars addresses the multi fight situation. BJJ does not. Yet Aikido does which was based on Bujutsu.

Scars teaches that mindset is more important than technique. Mushasi wrote the same thing in the Book of Five Rings. As did Bruce Lee in the Tao of Jeet Kun Do.

Realizing that when I am in a CQC enviorment, my first choice is my weapon. What ever this may be. As it was in Bujutsu of ancient Japan. If I loose my weapon or it malfunctions, I want a simple, brutal way of defeating you to either get my weapon back on line or to pull back to troubleshoot. The last thing I want to do is to box and wrestle you. I may have been up for days, and have the grude from drinking local water so I may not be the super grappler or kickboxer that day. Also no matter what I have in my hand, knife or screwdriver, I want techniques that are universal, that work with anything. When I hit you I do not want to slap you like some of the techniques I experienced in Systema, But I want to overload your nervous system. SCARS does this. So is the system all that terrible. I think not. Maybe it is issues with Jerry. As I remember Paul Vanuk had a few, sniff, issues himself.

If you want to join the flavor of the month club, thats cool, it works for you. But to bash a system with no experience in it, with out giving examples of why it does not work, is addolecent. The Seal guy will tell you, run away emotions are your worst enemy. So challenge fights, personal bashing aside, tell us why SCARS does not work, not that Jerry is a jerk.

Regards Ed

Likes (received)

Lonewolfjujutsu, that is a nce post. I have passively searched about for more insight into SCARS, besides their own infomercials in various magazines and the insight from this discussion is enlightening ... not definitive but interesting. I haven't seen as many educated views fo that system than these.

I hadn't seen anyone decry it's usefulness til now and I don't remember seeing any admission that much of it is San Soo, til the last few weeks. Learnig alot here.

- ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Publisher, The Martialist™
    For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Phil
    Any of those three are preferable to the SCARS methodology.
    Why?567890

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Phil
    Oh.4567890

Lonewolfjujutsu Guest

Read your review, thought it was limited and almost like you had a grudge.

I agree that I never got into the whole breathing dynamics but I must say I have seen vowal sounding ki-yahs in other arts such as Aikido in Japan.

I happen to like the downstrike method...alot and here is why. Most fights that I have experienced are initiated with a sucker punch. Very rare did I square off and range with someone. Either I sucker punch or he did. While a typical defense would be say a boxing duck cover ( elbow up cover head and absorb punch) would work against a punch, it is usless against a weapon.

Say for example instead of a punch your attacker slash or stabs at your face. In the boxing defense you would get cut, pretty good too. Take the down strike to the radial for example. Your timing does not have to be perfect. It may not be as fast as a slip or cover. But here is why I like it.

1. It puts me on the offense right away.
    2. Striking the radial nerve does do damage and may cause the assailant to drop his weapon.
    3. The strike shocks the assailant core nervous system.
    4. Even if I am late I will not absorb the full blow or recieve the full penetration of the weapon.

It does not have to be perfect but it is a good solid response to a ambush style attack. Charles Nelson taught the same technique many years ago also.

The last thing I like about the technique it works no mater what weapon I have in my hand. It allows me to retain my weapon also since I am using my forearm to make impact. I am not sure but Wing Chun does not allow this.

The follow up to the down strike is usually a forearm to the throat or neck. This stun shot is proven to work. A familly member who had twenty years running a prison also validated the techniques stating that is was the only technique that really worked all the time. And he delt with all kinds of prison issues.

Most people use to boxing or traditional martial arts may feel unprotected with this technique, but I have used it, it worked for me, and I like it.

As far as marketing and other aspect, I could careless. I feel Sperry's tape are too expensive but I like a lot of what he does also. Heck ny daughters day care is expensive too, but I value and trust my daycare provider. So the whole money, aggressive I taught SEALS marketing does not bother me. I look beyond that. What bothers me is guys like Lew Hicks who is seen in the SCARS videos working out with Jerry, leaves and starts SAFTA and then bashes Jerry. When I talked to Lew on the phone and asked him a technical question, he deflected and stated that that was not in the parameters of his mission.

I hope I have given a different view of SCARS than the typical Jerry bashing that you get on forums. I like the system, not all of it, but 70 % of it. I think you have to look beyond the staged coreographed techniques and telegraphed punches. There is alot of information their that you will not find in your local dojo pertaining to H2H.

Regards Ed Glasheen

I have no grudge against SCARS; I just don't like what I see. I own what must be an entire box of their tapes. I might, someday, get around to reviewing them. I might not.
    Last edited by Sharp Phil; 6th July 2005 at 16:50.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6