Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ryushin Katchu ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Default Ryushin Katsuchu ryu jujutsu

Anyone have info on this style of koryu jujutsu? A description of the curriculum would be nice as well as some history. Thank you.
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

Default Ryushin Katchu Ryu Jujutsu

Ryushin Katchu ryu jujutsu is basically an offshoot of Tenjin Shinyo ryu jujutsu. It even states the founder of the tradition to be Iso Mataemon (Who also happens to be the founder of Tenjin Shinyo ryu). Ryushi Katchu ryu was founded in the mid-ninteenth century. According to what I have been told by Kubota sensei, it was founded in Tokyo, but then moved to Hokkaido some time in the late Edo/Early Meiji period.The ryuha is still an active member of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai & Kyokai and participates in several of the monbusho (National board of education) enbutaikai each year.

Ryushin Katchu Ryu's jujutsu methods are not surprisingly,very similar to Tenjin Shinyo ryu's jujutsu techniques (with minor differences in reiho and the way in which some kata are executed). Some kata are almost identical to Tenjin Shinyo ryu kata and some are variations of kata with various modifications.

Hope this helps.

Hissho Guest

You gotta love their kata where they tomoe-nage, roll over into a mount, do some choke attempts, and then grab the extended arm and drop back into juji-gatame.

Likes (received)

Yeah, that's a variation of shodan tachiai ryou munadori with some of the techniques from the randori added.

Likes (received)

Russ,

In Ryushin Katchu Ryu, this is actually a formal kata. However the origins of the kata are from TSR jujutsu techniques. One source being the shodan tachiai kata and the other being the randori techniques.

Likes (received)

Default That sounds awesome!

Sounds like there is alot of flow to their kata. Very interesting thanks- do they teach weapons?
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

Erin,

They don't train in weapons per se, but they do however train against weapon weilding enemies in the kata. Usually the enemy either has a katana or a kodachi. There is also a defence against a enemy trying to attack using an iai nukitsuke type attack.

There are no weapon against weapon techniques in this system that I have been told of.

Likes (received)

Hi Steve

How are you and happy new year.
    How about Nukemi Metsuke does this exist in the Kata?

Kind regards
    Lee Masters

Likes (received)

Lee,

Happy new year to you too. I hope you had a good time.

Re: Ryushin Katchu Ryu Jujutsu

As far as I know, they don't have Nukimi Metsuke in their syllabus, but they do have Kojiri gaeshi and it's a dead ringer for our one with the exeption that they don't kick, they just immediately go into katame waza.

Likes (received)

Steve

Thanks.Is that you in this months Hiden magazine?

Cheers
    Lee

Likes (received)

Lee,

That is me being uke for one of the new guys at the meiji jingu embutaikai last November. That time was a bit weird; I had to do ten kata in succession. Five as uke for shodan tachi ai and five as tori for chuden tachiai. I have since shaved off the beard & moustache by the way

Selling & distributing the Embukai's programmes was a bit of a chore. Not to mention doling out the sake for all of the participants at the end of demonstration party.

Likes (received)

Mr. James Russel Ebert,

You are cordially invited to SOD OFF!

Likes (received)

This was a serious thread before you decided to hijack it. What's the matter not enough graphs to draw and paperwork to do??

Likes (received)

How do the atemi in the kata of Ryushin Katchu ryu vary from those in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu? Even though the currucla may be different, do they have any "striking" similarities in terms of landing a blow? In terms of nage, are the strikes in the same place?

Russ,

From what I have seen of Ryushin katchu ryu at various enbu, they aren't big into striking. They seem to have a few smattered here and there. They have a similar striking methodology to TSR, but in a lesser amount. However, I shouldn't be really comparing Koryu, even if they are from the same Ryuso.

Also, I would like to ask about the different branches of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu in existent around Japan. On a recent video I have seen of one of the branches, they end some of the kata with a swift kick to the ribs before zanshin...what do you make of that
    There are only two branches of TSR left in Japan.(There were three; Tobari Kazu's branch in Osaka, but she passed away a few years ago.) There is a branch in Saitama, headed by an individual that claims to have Menkyo Kaiden and then there is a branch in Tokyo, from the Yagi Torajiro line of Tenjin Shinyo ryu, which is headed by Kubota Toshihiro sensei.

As for the kicks to the ribs, it depends on the level of the kata. I only know of one kata off the top of my head which Kubota Sensei told me about, and that's all I know of. It could also be a variation in the teaching tradition. I know that the branch in Saitama have different reiho from the way things are done in the Tenyokai. I'll have to see the tape to make sure (Hint hint )

Check your saucepan for bunnies

Likes (received)

Steve
    Are there any available photo's/pictures of these previous masters?

The kata you refer to is that from the Gokui,but the kick is not to the ribs?

cheers
    Lee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast