Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts?

Likes (received)

Default Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts?

Hello

I workout with an aikijujutsu dojo once a week. One of the students is a young person who has just graduated from college and is going to be moving to Baltimore to take a job. The student wants to continue studying aikibudo. I told sensei that I thought I recalled hearing of a Daito Ryu study group in Baltimore and would e-mail him any contact info. I could find and he could pass it on to his student. He said he would appreciate that. From what I could gather from old e-budo post the study group is headed by a Sensei Goss and the group can be contacted at:

Aikido Martial Arts Institute
    8620 D Belair Road
    Perry Hall, Maryland 21236
    USA
    Tel: 410-529-5222
    Fax: 410-529-7568
    mailto:aikido@charm.net

Could someone from the Baltimore study group please confirm whether or not this info is correct before I pass it on. Thanks in advance for any consideration on this matter.

C. E. Boyd

Likes (received)

Yes, I believe that information is all correct. I attend the seminars by Kondo Sensei, but I am not a member of the study group. I can, however, strongly recommend the training that is undertaken there. They are a great group of people, very welcoming, and it is always a pleasure to go there to train. Goss Sensei is one of my favorite people to train with.

Their web page seems to be down just now, I'll check it over the next few days, and if it comes back up, I'll post the link (no need to proliferate links that don't work).

Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

Ok, here is the current link for Goss Sensei's dojo:

http://www.aikimartialarts.com/

Hope this helps...you should be able to confirm all information here.

RT

Likes (received)

Default Thank you very much.

Thanks Mr. Tisdale you have been a big help.

Likes (received)

Hello C.E. and Ron,

Sorry I have been slacking on my duities as the Daito-ryu study group web guy, but I have been very busy planning my trip to Tokyo and getting ready for my fall classes etc.

Yes we do have Daito-ryu aikijujutsu here in Baltimore and yes the address is the one Ron listed. We are no longer Aikido Martial Arts Institute, but rather Aiki Martial Arts Institute. The name change (as I understand it) is two fold. First, because we practice aikijujutsu as well as aikido the name Aikido M.A.I. just doesn't cut it anymore. Second I think it is to reflect the new nature of the dojo. We were recently granted Non-Profit status and with the new direction, it seems like a good idea for a (slightly) new name. Call up Goss sensei I'm sure he can explain that part better then I can .

As for the training, we are the only Daito-ryu study group that is authorized by Menkyo Kaiden holder Kondo Katsuyuki in the USA. Mr. Kondo is the only person to receive a Menkyo Kaiden from the late soke Takeda Tokimune, thus making him the highest ranked person in mainline Daito-ryu. We here in Baltimore practice the Ikkajo section, the first thirty techniques for the Hiden Mokuroku. We train every Tues and Thurs night from 7:30 pm until 8:30 pm. The class size ranges from 2 people all the way to about 15, with an average of about 6. Anyone and everyone is welcome to stop by during class and join in. There is a small mat fee of $10 for non members to help cover costs.

It is a good idea for everyone who can, to start training now because Mr. Kondo will be here in Oct. You might be able to get more out of his seminar if you have an early start. Also please remember to sign up early. We like to get an idea of how many people will be attending the seminar.

C.E. if you would like, please have your friend email me personally or the dojo from the website Ron so kindly posted. We are always happy to have new training partners.

gambatte!!!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Default Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts???

Can anyone recommend an aikijujutsu dojo in Massachusetts?Specifically in Boston or the North Shore of Boston area?

Stanley Neptune

Likes (received)

Mr. Neptune,

I hope you don't mind, but I renamed your thread and moved it to the appropriate forum. You should get more responses here.

The only dojo that comes to mind near Boston is:

Aikido Martial Arts Institute
    http://www.aikimartialarts.com

The Aikido teacher is John Goss Sensei, but they are currently well known for their Daito ryu mainline study group.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Stanley,
    Actually I think the dojo that Nathan lists is located in Baltimore not Boston. Buy hey it starts with a 'B'. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for AJJ in Boston.

mark

Likes (received)

Talking

I live on the North Shore, but unfortunately know jack about aikijujutsu.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Oh yeah. Forgot about the Dan & Cady show. Same neck of the woods, huh?
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Cady,

Do you really know nothing about AJJ or are you joking?

Stanley Neptune

Likes (received)

No, I really know jack quite well. However, I do train with Dan, who knows considerably more than jack or me. E-mail me privately through the Private Message option (you didn't set one up for yourself).
    Cady Goldfield

Dan Harden Guest

Nathan Writes

Oh yeah. Forgot about the Dan & Cady show. Same neck of the woods, huh?

I'm not sure what a "Dan and Cady show" is, nor what I have to do with it.
    My Dojo is closed to outsiders and I am not interested in teaching anyone, anything, of any kind. I only wish to train with those who like to train.

There are lots of people claiming to teach Aikijujutsu here in Mass they're in the phone book and they advertise their wares in the likes of Black Belt magazine. Look them up and be a part of the new Aikijujtsu movement in the U.S.!!!! -Aikido called Aikijujutsu. That's what they look like to me.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 10th February 2003 at 13:06.

Likes (received)

Nor do I. Mr. Neptune lives in Mass. I asked him to e-mail me privately to take it offline, which he did. He was interested in the difference between aikido and aikijujutsu, and inquired about local dojo. We discussed the Shodokan dojo in Salem, which offers aikido and judo, as a possibility. I also told Mr. Neptune that the aikijujutsu dojo referred to indirectly by Nathan is closed.

I was just surprised to see someone in the area posting on the forum. Mr. Neptune lives the next town over from me. Small world.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Cady and Dan

Please do not associate me with Nathan. I do not know him. I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone. Especially Cady who was kind enough to answer my questions via private message.

My inquiries are legitimate as I believe there is an over abundance of commercial dojos and a dirth of valid traditional AJJ in the Northeast in general. I am just looking for quality instruction. In fact I would prefer to train in a club atmosphere but those are few and far between.

Stanley Neptune

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast