Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts?

Likes (received)

Holy cow, lighten up guys!! Why would you think to take my comment the wrong way? Sorry if I hit some kind of nerve.

Also, I didn't know that you (Dan's) dojo was closed to new students. I had simply forgoten logistically that you guys were in "the same neck of the woods".

What happened to that thick skin?

Mr. Neptune, I wouldn't want to be associated with me either if I had a choice, but good luck to you anyway!

(shrug)
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Nathan,

I meant no disrespect to you either big fella. In fact I don't even know you which is why I said I am not associated with you.

Stanley Neptune

Likes (received)

Wink

Isn't it great that so many people who totally don't know each other can get to not know each other even better on these forums?
    Cady Goldfield

Dan Harden Guest

Nathan

Hey you. Talk about needing a thick skin!
    I have no issues there big fella.. I just couldn't resist the "Dan and Cady" show comment. I mean, did you expect me to let that opener slide? I should have put a smiley face next to it though-since I was laughing when I wrote it.
    Anyway
    I just didn't want anyone knockin at my door or researching a dead end. I wanted to let the archive searchers know that they won't find anything here with me. I didn't bring me up, nor did I answer the thread. Since I WAS brought up- I wanted to put any rumours to rest.

There are lots of guys who want to teach people and any martial art searchers should go there...I just don't know where "that" would be in Mass.

Keep smilin Bud
    Dan

Likes (received)

You know, I've been thinking about this, and it occured to me that this is the first time I've been called "Big Fella".

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Dan Harden Guest

Isn't it great that so many people who totally don't know each other can get to not know each other even better on these forums?

Hey Cady
    I don't know anyone I don't know, though I may guess that I don't know them but I don't know for sure that I don't know them. But there are some people I don't know that I swear I have figured out but I don't know for sure. Though I must admit that there are those I know who claim to this day that I really don't know them at all. This of course always makes me say "If you don't know that I know you by this time then you obviously don't know me at all.
    Know what I mean?
    Then again one of my favorite songs is
    "If you don't know me by now-you will never, ever know me....oooohh

mumble mumble
    Dan

P.S. hey.....Does anyone know any Aikijujutsu dojo in Mass. that doesn't look like Aikido with punches?
    We should start a thread.

Likes (received)

P.S. hey.....Does anyone know any Aikijujutsu dojo in Mass. that doesn't look like Aikido with punches?
    As far as people who use the term Aiki Ju Jutsu... can't think of any off the top of my head. However there are people in Mass who call their art something else, though in form and principle it is essentially Aiki Ju Jutsu.

Wes tasker teaches Tenshin Shintai Ryu and the empty hands portion contains plenty of Aiki (the AJJ kind not the Aikido kind).

Jigme Daniels of the Aiki Budokai teaches methods which contain AJJ style Aiki.

I teach Systema and while its certainly not AJJ, significant parts of the art are very similar to Shidare Yanagi Ryu AJJ.

There are probably others.

Arthur
    --------------
    Arthur Sennott

Likes (received)

Default AJJ

http://www.renrikan.com/

This guy teaches AJJ in South Boston.
    I went to see a class once. It was okay. I am not sure about the history or instructor though as I am not a practitioner.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rich Borgatti

Likes (received)

Default Takeshin Aikijujutsu

The Renrikan is apparently affiliated with Tony Annesi, who has been brought up previously in this forum. He seems to have based his art(s) largely off his experience with hosting various well known instructors - including Don Angier - to teach and be taped at his dojo.

Based on a sample tape Annesi sent me, his art seems to be a combination of karate and some degree of aiki waza.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Dan Harden Guest

Don't know of any Aikijujutsu in the Boston area. I can of course compile quite a lengthy list for you of people who think that what they are doing is Aikijujutsu.
    There are a couple of people who don't teach publicly,including a highly ranked Japanese fellow. Last I met him he even denied what it was to those he demonstrated to.

Jigme Daniels? Do you mean Jigme's Chobang? He was a student of Anessies as well. Great guy. Tell him I said hi.

cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

I can of course compile quite a lengthy list for you of people who think that what they are doing is Aikijujutsu.
    Sounds interesting. If your really willing to sit down and write it... it could be a lengthy project;-) I'd be interested in seeing it. Though it might be more appropriate as a PM.

Jigme Daniels? Do you mean Jigme's Chobang?
    When I knew him it was Daniels. I've seen a post by him signed Chobang, so I guess he's changed his name. Same guy though.

He was a student of Anessies as well.

He was a student of Anessies as well.
    Yes he was. He was and is also a student of others too. Hell I was once a student of Annesi's myself. Though it has nothing to with anything I do now.

Great guy. Tell him I said hi.
    He rents space at the same place I do, but we're there on different days. If I happen to run into him though, I will.

Oh and concerning Renrikan post above. That's Jim Poli's school. He is a long time student of Annesi's, but he leans heavily to the Aikido side of things (well Aikido on steroids;-))

Arthur
    --------------
    Arthur Sennott

Dan Harden Guest

Jim Polis a nice guy too although when I when I saw him in the eighties and early nineties I considered what he does to be extremely tame. Of course its all just a view but I consider Tony's work to be more Aikido-ish then jujutsu-ish.
    Im anss you pretty much have judo, jujutsu, aikido, and mix martial arts. I haven't see Aikijujutsu out in the open here.

cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

Thank you all for this very thoughtful and great discussion. Just thought I would share an interesting discussion I once had. I once asked Bill Gleason, who runs Shobu Aikikai in Brookline, about what Tony Annessi does. Bill replied, "Oh that's ju jitsu." I asked the same question to Ed Melaugh the Small Circle JJ man from Woburn and he said, Oh that's Aikido." Two sides of the same page??

Stanley Neptune

Likes (received)

Default Niten Shinto-ryu

...Speaking of budo in MA, has anyone heard of the Niten Shinto-ryu??

http://home.attbi.com/~Tendokai/index.html

Just curious.

Regards,

Likes (received)

From reading the site's description of "Niten no Aikijutsu," it sounds like their "aiki" is more akin to that of aikido than to that of aikijujutsu.

The reference to Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu is interesting. The founding instructor of the school is said to have studied it in Japan and/or Okinawa back in the 1950s. The careful way the information is worded hints that this person could be a legit "shadow" student, but I'm not experienced or informed enough in these things to make an educated guess.
    Cady Goldfield

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast