Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Massachusetts?

Dan Harden Guest

Thank you all for this very thoughtful and great discussion. Just thought I would share an interesting discussion I once had. I once asked Bill Gleason, who runs Shobu Aikikai in Brookline, about what Tony Annessi does. Bill replied, "Oh that's ju jitsu." I asked the same question to Ed Melaugh the Small Circle JJ man from Woburn and he said, Oh that's Aikido." Two sides of the same page??

Stanley Neptune

Although a good point Stan-if one were asking about jujutsu they would ask jujutsu people. The only thing I can compare it too is Aikido as I used to be one and it looks very much like it. Although there maybe exceptions (i'm sure) I haven't met a jujutsu guy who would call that jujutsu. Hey! Theres nothing wrong with that either. He has a big school with lots of satisfied students. I am told his Karate is good stuff by people who would know. I wouldn't know as I don't know a thing about karate.
    BTW its a safe and sane school.

If you see Jigme would you ask him to contact me by prvite email here? He knows how to do it.
    Thanks bud
    Dan

Dan Harden Guest

My inquiries are legitimate as I believe there is an over abundance of commercial dojos and a dirth of valid traditional AJJ in the Northeast in general.
    Stanley Neptune

A dirth of Valid, _TRADITIONAL_ AJJ?
    Really?
    Who?
    There is one in Conn. and none any where else that is known and/or open to the public that I have ever heard of or seen. I find your statement peculiar. What is your definition of valid and Traditional.
    There are several Aikido derivitives that pass themselves off as AJJ. How and where does that pass them off as traditional AJJ. Because they have been around for twenty years doing Aikido as AJJ?
    Your statement is based on ...what?
    The name on the door?

I know some people who went to Systema seminars and watched a video. They may be opening near you. Soon there will be a _dirth_ of System schools. I mean what the heck, they bought a whip, that means its tradtional systema ...er right? I mean there are only so many ways to move right? And I am equally as able as you to judge what an art is or is not just by the name on the door right?

cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 13th March 2003 at 14:23.

Likes (received)

Uh, I think you guys are miscommunicating. It's "dearth". It means a scarcity of. Check it out here: http://www.m-w.com/ .

Best Regards,
    Greg Jennings
    mailto:gregs_shell_account@yahoo.com
    http://www.capitalcityaikido.com/
    http://www.takemusu.org/

Likes (received)

I believe that Stanley meant "dearth," which means a lack (shortage) of. An opposite would be "surfeit," which means an overabundance of.

Seems to me that indeed there is a dearth of valid, traditional aikijujutsu schools and a surfeit of commercial "wannabe" schools.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I meant "dearth" Dan. As Cady said I meant that legit schools are few and far between.

Sorry my spell check doesn't work on E-budo! Ooops I forgot to bring my thesaurus. Hope I spelled that rite!

Lighten up big fella. I don't know about any bogus Systema schools in Mass. as you suggested. The one person who I rely on for Systema knowledge is legitimate and others, who are reputable, have spoken highly of him. Arthur Sennot is the main source of this knowledge in this region and I hope you are not taking a shot at him. He is a nice guy and seems to know his Systema.

Please get back to me Dan on any spelling mistakes, poor syntax, improper grammar, dangling participles, poor punctuation, or any other critiques. You appear to have a hair across your dogi.

Stanley Neptune

PS You spelled derivative wrong.
    PPS I guess you wouldn't be to cool with me joining your school of traditional JJ huh?

Likes (received)

Well..I'll take a shot if Dan doesn't. "Rite" is spelled "right" Right? Right...
    Sincerely,

Eric Joyce
    Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu

Likes (received)

Eric,

These are what we call JOKES son! That's J-O-K-E!!

Stanley Neptune

Likes (received)

Stanley,

Hey, no need to get defensive about Dan's comments. It is my perception that he believed you were saying that there are many legitimate aikijujutsu schools in the area, and was only contesting that. No hair across any rears.

Dan also wasn't criticizing your spelling or grammar; in fact, he will be the first to make fun of his own shortcomings in that department, as he has many times on this website.

Furthermore, I didn't see any indication that he was referring in any way to Arthur Sennot. More that he was just using Systema as the "MA du jour" to show that any schmoe can take a seminar in whatever the popular fad is at the time and then open a school.

It was a misunderstanding, focused around a word that was misinterpreted by a guy who readily admits he needs to use his spellcheck and dictionary more often. Don't blow it out of proportion.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Cady,

These are what we call JOKES sister! J-O-K-E-S!!!!

May be I just did not get his point on Systema.

No offense taken and none intended.

Stanley Neptune

Likes (received)

Wink

Ooooookaaaaay.
    Just remember that Dan is my teacher, and if you keep making fun of his spelling I'll have to smack you upside the head. I'm the only one officially sanctioned to make fun of his spelling on E-Budo.

And yeah, you did misinterpret his use of "Systema" to make a point about the proliferation of bad schools. Dan could have said "Gracie Jujutsu" or "Krav Maga" or whatever to make the same point. He just said "Systema" because that's the MA du jour, it seems.
    Cady Goldfield

Dan Harden Guest

deleted
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 13th March 2003 at 22:52.

Likes (received)

Dan,

Stanley is not my student. The only extent to which I know him at all is as a poster on this board. Please do not make assumptions about who my students are or aren't.

Furthermore, I hardly think Systema is a good analogy for the myriads of martial art schools popping up all around the country. We actually have a fairly limited number of schools and it is a fairly close knit group.

As for "names on doors" and "ads in telephone books" we actually don't do either. We are a simple little school that at this point doesn't advertise.

... oh, I just noticed that after coming back to finish this response (had to take a phone call) the message of yours I'm responding too has been edited away. Hmm... I knew I should have copied that text as soon as I saw it. Oh well, so much for context. Guess I'll just stop writing.

Arthur
    --------------
    Arthur Sennott

Dan Harden Guest

Arthur writes
    Stanley is not my student. The only extent to which I know him at all is as a poster on this board. Please do not make assumptions about who my students are or aren't.

Dan writes
    Stan wrote that he looked to you for all his information on systema. Natural assumption.

Arthur writes
    Furthermore, I hardly think Systema is a good analogy for the myriads of martial art schools popping up all around the country. We actually have a fairly limited number of schools and it is a fairly close knit group.

Dan writes
    Systema was and is the perfect school to use in this analogy. AJJ is just as small and is still relatively unknown. There are many who claim what they do is AJJ but VERY few can trace it back to anything that is AJJ. The rest are made up arts that borrow the name. There isn’t a myriad of AJJ schools popping up either. Just enough to confuse the public. As it will be with Systema.
    Listen, I’m not going anywhere soon. I’ll remind you of this thread in the years to come. I am right and you will live to see this very thing happen to your art. You will have your own Forum titles on E-Budo and AJJ and you will have a raft of near-do-wells using the name.

Arthur writes
    As for "names on doors" and "ads in telephone books" we actually don't do either. We are a simple little school that at this point doesn't advertise.

Dan writes
    This is EXACTLY my point Arthur. You just wrote a perfect description of the authentic AJJ schools that maybe number up to ten or fifteen that are here and there in North America. Try to find them. They are distinctly uninterested in convincing anyone either.

Arthur again
    ... oh, I just noticed that after coming back to finish this response (had to take a phone call) the message of yours I'm responding too has been edited away. Hmm... I knew I should have copied that text as soon as I saw it. Oh well, so much for context. Guess I'll just stop writing.

Dan writes
    Would you like me to re-post it? Does it matter? I’m only responding here out of respect and politeness to you. We had people telling me I was correcting someones spelling(which is really rather funny). So people are not seriously reading or if they are they are not understanding. So whats the point?
    I figured it wasn’t worth my time or anyone else’s. Cady was the only one who got the point of the analogy.
    I am not interested in trying to convince anyone of anything-let them think what they will. The “thinking” of the general public and the years of opinion and new schools hasn’t changed AJJ and never will.
    As I said in an unrelated post- talk to me in twenty years when all the new “Systema” schools are all over the place and you have just as much validity as the new johnny boy who started a Systema school after combining judo with a whip and has the audacity to call it Systema. Talk to me when you sit there in wonder at the stupidity of trying to convince some green kid of what is real and what it not. They won’t care , and in time. Neither will you. You will just keep doing Systema. Real systema.
    We have people combining Aikido with punches and some hard throws and calling it AJJ.
    Perfect analogy!

AJJ is small and will always be small. Were you swing wide the doors and invite everyone in- the ten thousand will reduce to a hundred in 5 years. It’s the way it was and the way it will be.

Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 14th March 2003 at 12:22.

Likes (received)

Dan writes
    Stan wrote that he looked to you for all his information on systema. Natural assumption.

Arthur Writes:
    Actually he said he looked to third party verification about me... so I guess not ALL his Systema information comes from me:-(

Dan writes
    Systema was and is the perfect school to use in this analogy. AJJ is just as small and is... (snipped for brevity)

Arthur writes:
    I better understand your analogy now. Thanks for the clarification. I get it now... makes sense.

Dan writes
    This is EXACTLY my point Arthur.

Arthur writes:
    Understood

You just wrote a perfect description of the authentic AJJ schools that maybe number up to ten or fifteen that are here and there in North America. Try to find them. They are distinctly uninterested in convincing anyone either.

Dan writes
    Would you like me to re-post it? Does it matter? I’m only responding here out of respect and politeness to you.
    Arthur writes:
    I find it frustrating that on more than one occasion, on more than one board, I have put the effort to respond to you in.... then before my response was finished, find tyour post self removed. It matters, in that its not fair to those attempting to reply to your comments in earnest. When the posts disappear, we have a choice of throwing out what we've worked on... having essentially wasted our time, or attempting to post anyway. Posting anyway can make both parties look like jerks.

So yes I think it matters. Should you repost that particular post.... at this point probably not. The thread has now evolved past that point (speaking of which I'm feeling bad about us hijacking this thread - maybe it can be split or something)

I appreciate you you writing your last post. Thank you.

Dan writes:
    As I said in an unrelated post- talk to me in twenty years when all the new “Systema” schools are all over the place and you have just as much validity as the new johnny boy who started a Systema school after combining judo with a whip and has the audacity to call it Systema.

Arthur writes:
    I know. That is certainly a concern and a likely event in the future. 20 years from now people will probably question my authenticity because I "don't give belts" or "don't do forms". Its coming, and I dread it.

I guess the pertinent question here is... can we (Systema worlod) learn from the past of other arts that have faced this. Can we find soemething reasonable to do to stop the creation and proliferation of McDojo!?

Arthur
    --------------
    Arthur Sennott

Likes (received)

Red face

Howdy, just happened on this...

Originally posted by Dan Harden
    snip
    Do you mean Jigme's Chobang? He was a student of Anessies (sic) as well. /snip
    Not for a while though (6 years and change). I don't do Aikijujutsu, I certainly don't teach it. That is better left to other folks. I'm just a fluffy aiki bunny.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast