Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thanks!

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default Thanks!

Now, I just need to make sense out of this. Are typical japanese names "translated" similarly, with out being a "sentence" but just a bunch of words?

I know it can just be spelled phonetically with kana, so is using kanji appropriate, or ridiculous?

Would it be confusing on zekken?

Whoops! i tought this was going to end up in the "Literal Kanji Translation" thread.

Likes (received)

Typically, Japanese names aren't translated at all. Given names can occasionally have meanings for the individual, but family names don't. For instance, the last name "Takahashi" literally translates into "tall bridge". At a certain level, people in Japan will be aware of the meaning of those individual kanji (and may take advantage of them to make puerile gags - "Takahashi, takai hashi ni tatte iru!" - good for groans and embarassed looks) But I am not aware of people actually thinking "Oh, there is Mr. Tall-Bridge". They think "Takahashi."

First names can be different. Though primarily phoetic, they can have meaning for the person who gives them. We gave our children kanji with meaning for us - however, we chose the name first because we liked it and then found kanji that suited the name. It was a real pain getting names we liked that had decent kanji. On the other hand, my wife (who is Japanese) was originally given a name with "meaning" but it was changed by her father who liked the sound of another name. Now, the kanji for her name have literal meanings (obvously), but they have no application to her name as given. Similarly, the kanji for her brother's name are purely phonetic in function.

Foreigners are different. Unless you are Chinese, stick with katakana. I, personally, have always found it pretentious to force one's name into kanji. It is a real pet peeve of mine. Plus, it can make names very difficult to read as kanji can have various different readings. With a long name, even native Japanese can have a hard time puzzling out how to read a string of unrelated kanji.

Most Japanese I have met think it silly if a foreigner uses kanji for his/her name. I know it looks cool, and yes, I tried hard to make a kanji name for myself when I lived in Japan. Never met with success and people just thought me weird for doing so. So, no I don't think it appropriate if you plan on interacting with many Japanese.

Likes (received)

The sentiments expressed by Mr Young are the reason why I added the question "Any the wiser?" to my answer to the translation question you asked in the other thread.

However, unlike Mr Young, I have found that interest in the totally impossible task of putting my own name into kanji comes from some of my Japanese friends here. Usually this arises when the question of changing my nationality is discussed and they all believe (mistakenly, I think) that a name change is required. Out come the paper and pencils and in the ensuing discussion--sometimes arguments, it is very interesting to see the extent to which Japanese understand their own written language.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default Almost made another thread again!

Thanks.

Likes (received)

However, unlike Mr Young, I have found that interest in the totally impossible task of putting my own name into kanji comes from some of my Japanese friends here.
    That is interesting. When I searched through dictionaries for cool kanji with deep meanings to write my name, A-da-mu, my wife and friends would humour me, but clearly be uninterested in the outsome of my search.

Of course, I had some people suggest that I take a proper Japanese name by marrying into a Japanese family. But then that would be a plain old Japanese name rather than a forced mishmash of unrelated kanji. Ended up not doing that....

Likes (received)

Guess I (and Rennis!) are just lucky -- ren was the 4th most popular boy's name in Japan last year.

Regards,
    renfield kuroda

L-Fitzgerald Guest

Default For your name in Kanji

Try the book "Write Your Name in Kanji, by Sato Noguo, published by Charles Tuttle, Vermont. It deals primarily with the given first name and accomplishes the translation by using the definition for a Anglo Saxon name and locates a similar phrase in Japanese. For example, and I'm going from memory here, but I believe the English name Alfred defined as "Great Council" in Japanese can be pronouced as "Dai Jogen."

Interesting little book to say the least.

L Fitzgerald

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default Interesting

Looks like I could learn about my name as it was given to me as well!

L-Fitzgerald Guest

Default Webster Dictionary

Most Webster's has a section wherein both male and female Western given names are listed along with the definitions behind them, and many are quite interesting. As for the name Alfred, it belonged to my Grandfather, his father, and his grandfather, and so on and so forth. It may have been a tradition back then in England for the name to be passed onto to the oldest son of each new generation. But the tradition ended with him.

L Fitzgerald