Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Daito ryu Goshinkai/ Jose Garrido

Likes (received)

Mr. Robison, do you study Kodo Kai or are you just a historian ? Just curious.
    Best,
    Ron

Samurai Jack Guest

Default Edited

Too All,

I am sorry for clicking on the wrong button (submit instead of preview) and taking too long to edit. I will be more careful in the future. I hope this is explains things better. I edited the last paragraph, and added another thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popkin
    Gentlemen,

Is he calling me an infant ? Mr. Robison, do you study Kodo Kai or are you just a historian ? Just curious.

Actually sir, the Roppokai has been firmly established in the United States for almost 10 years. The New York Branch has been operating since February 1997. The Texas Branch is slightly newer, but Mr. Lopez studied in Japan with Okamoto Sensei for many years prior to opening his branch. The California, North Carolina, and Oregon Branches are also doing very well. We just try to keep to ourselves most of the time. While there are no Roppokai Shihan living in the United States, Okamoto Sensei is here quite frequently and keeps tabs on all of us, personally.

Sensei will be here in August , November, and most likely, March.

Enjoy your training.

Howard Popkin
    NY Roppokai
    Jun Dairi Kyoju
    To: Howard, and all those others following the thread,

I don't mean to sound rude at anytime by what I say. My point of view is more factual then anything else. It is due to my understanding what Okamoto is doing in general, keeping tabs, was true also for the Kodo kai some 30 years ago. But we are talking about time. Specifically, factually speaking, the amount of time some Daito ryu groups have been in the US vs. others. Looking at other Daito ryu groups here in the US than the Kodo kai, we can see the dynamics of how such groups. We can look at, for example, which you pointed out, how the Roppo kai examines its groups here. We can also look at Kondo's study groups as well. Overall, we see a slow progression of development. The Japanese take time. They carefully nurture and develop these new groups. As many know the Japanese use the analogy of gardening when developing something like these study groups. It is clear to me from your post this is what Okamoto is doing, and has done. The Japanese understand that Rome wasn't built in a day, and they subscribe to the Old English adage of haste makes waste.

What does this all mean? In my opinion, you have to look at the big picture in relation to the topic of this post and to the idea that going to a handful of seminars over the years is more of a scouting event (for lack of a more creative and precise term right now) for these organizations then going to a few classes to be certified in a profession. There is nothing wrong with either, but it is just a matter of perspective.

What the Japanese perceive and what an American individual perceives can and are very different in martial arts. This can be frustrating for both parties. You have two peoples coming together, from almost opposite perspectives. Gee, the misunderstanding than are immeasurable. Take for instance, the differences when it comes to expectations of the Japanese and the Americans. American’s want it instantly. The Japanese take their sweet time, knowing that proper development requires time. The Japanese are far more patient, then Americans. In America you need to brag about whom you are and what you got and have done. For an example, take a job interview which reflects this accurately. The Japanese find this unappealing, and the less you brag, presenting yourself as humble as possible the better the chance you have.

I am taking the current Kodo kai as the model for establishment of Daito ryu. They have a qualified resident Shi-han. They have been around for 30 plus years, and over come growing pains. In the early years of develop of this group it was in its infancy and developmental stages. Many people experience Kodo kai at this time, some more positive then others. We can't judge expertise or qualification of any group or those whose individuals who experienced such groups at that time. Because at that stage of the game, both the group, and the individual who experience, say a seminar or two, has came to maturity. It would be a disservice to confuse such an experience with expertise. It would be more beneficial to see once the group matures to see who has continued. In that why you get a better idea or measurement of expertise. This is to say those who have limited experience (time put it, and availability), have limited experience. It is no different then any craft or profession.

Howard per your question, I consider myself a researcher.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 11th July 2006 at 16:43. Reason: 15 Mins Where Up

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4