Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Black Sword Aikido

Likes (received)

Default Black Sword Aikido

Has anyone ever heard of Black Sword Aikido? There is a fellow in New Hampshire who teaches a combination Aikido and Chin Na. He is an Official Chin Na instructor under Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, but his main art is Aikido. He calls it Black Sword Aikido.

It looks like the following equation Aikido+Chin Na = Aikijujitsu. If you combine joint and tendon manipulation with Aiki isn't that Aikijujitsu. Chin Na is the root art of Jujitsu after all.

Sounds intriguing. I may have to check that out.

Stanley Neptune

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Default Re: Black Sword Aikido

Originally posted by stanley neptune
    It looks like the following equation Aikido+Chin Na = Aikijujitsu. If you combine joint and tendon manipulation with Aiki isn't that Aikijujitsu. Chin Na is the root art of Jujitsu after all.[/B]
    Ehhh ... no. Not really. The root art of jujutsu is sumo. There is some evidenc that at least one Chinese doctor (known as Chin Gempin in Japanese) had some influence on Japanese martial arts, but in a fairlylimited way and even that is debated by martial historians.

Aikido IS about joint and tendon manipulation. Good aikido anyway.

Combining Aikido and Chin na is not only kind of redundant, it's sort of like cross-breeding a giraffe and a hippo. Both interesting animals, but with very different structures. OK, they're both ungulates, but so are a deer and a tapir ...

The Black Sword guy hung out on the aikido list for a while, but hadn't much to offer and in the long run, either subsided into lurkdom or left.

Seemed like a nice enough guy, but if you're interested in such thing, you might want to check his lineage carefully.

And if you go, please give us a full report.

Chuck
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Peter H. Guest

Likes (received)

Default Black Sword Aikido

v Black Sword Aikido – Founder
    v Aikido – Godan
    v Shaolin Chin Na – Assistant Teaching Certificate
    v Kobudo – Shodan
    v Naginata – Shodan

My aikido lineage is mostly Kanai & Toyoda.
    My naginata lineage is mostly Ijichi & Tanaka
    My chin na lineage is Yang

Please visit!

BlackSwordAikido.com

Joseph Caulfield

Likes (received)

Hello Joseph,
    Welcome to e-budo!
    Since the original thread was posted eleven years ago, I doubt that those involved are still reading. However, I have questions that arose in my head from your post. You are a godan in aikido and your lineage is mostly Kanai and Toyoda. So, was it mostly Kanai or mostly Toyoda that granted you a godan? What organization is your godan in, since "aikido" is rather generic. I have the same curiosity regarding your shodan in kobudo and naginata, since those are also rather generic. I looked on your web site, but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

I was a member of USAF, then joined AAA, and after Toyoda's death, went and stayed independent.
    So, my sandan was from Yamada when I was USAF and from Hombu; my yondan was from Toyoda when I was AAA and Toyoda was independent from Hombu: my godan was from Toyoda when I was AAA and Toyoda had rejoined Hombu.
    My shodan in naginata is from Tanaka when I was USNF and from All Japan Naginata Federation.
    My shodan in kobudo was through IMAF from Kokusai Budoin. (I also have a shodan in aikido through Kokusai Budoin.)
    I acquired other ranks here and there, in this and that, as well.
    All products of a misspent youth.

7. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

That's an interesting glimpse back at your training, thanks! You should update your web site with that information to give prospective students a better idea of where you're coming from. There are quite as number of people out there offering arts such as aikido and jujutsu without adequate history and training in said arts. I feel it's important that those with legitimate background display it prominently so that beginners have an easier time seeing the difference.

Just my opinions though, and worth what was paid for them.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Thanks.
    I've never included my ranks on any advertising.
    I just never felt it was important.
    I only disclose them, as now, when someone specifically inquires.
    But, I'll reconsider, because you're probably correct.

10. Likes TonyU liked this post
    Likes (received)

It's not about advertising your ranks, but about being clear and truthful about your lineage as there a lot frauds out there.
    Tony Urena