Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kiyoshi Arakaki?

Likes (received)

Default TRUTH

You should always search for the truth.
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki

Gene Williams Guest

I heard a student say once that he wouldn't feel like he was any good until he got his black belt (he was very good, by the way). Another, even more junior student responded, "Hey, it ain't the belt that knocks the guy down." Very true. Gene

Machimura Guest

Default Book

I skimmed over Kyoshi Arakaki's book at "Border's". It was a refreshing karate book to say the least. I agreed with a lot of what he said. I just might buy it! Oh yeah-- SHURI-TE RULES!!! Hahahahahaha!!!

B.Cyr

Likes (received)

Default Belts

I heard a student say once that he wouldn't feel like he was any good until he got his black belt (he was very good, by the way). Another, even more junior student responded, "Hey, it ain't the belt that knocks the guy down." Very true. Gene
    Gene, the belt system has become a staus symbol in the martial arts, but mostly karate. Most guys don't have to put up, so they walk around with that multi colored belt or dan stripes to his ankles having everyone around him going osu, osu. The real legit guys don't put that much stock in rank. I don't have a problem with wearing a white belt or whatever, my obi is on the floor or the mat. "Damn, pretty damn good white belt".
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki

Likes (received)

Default Re: Belts

Originally posted by Goju Man

Gene, the belt system has become a staus symbol in the martial arts, but mostly karate. Most guys don't have to put up, so they walk around with that multi colored belt or dan stripes to his ankles having everyone around him going osu, osu. The real legit guys don't put that much stock in rank. I don't have a problem with wearing a white belt or whatever, my obi is on the floor or the mat. "Damn, pretty damn good white belt".
    Hi Goju Man -

I have an interesting story for you.

I am one of Sensei Higa's students on Okinawa Kenpo Style. I started with him about a year ago. I am one of his white belts. He starts everyone as a white belt. Even though I have been training on and off for 15 years and have brown belts in various TKD styles, I am more proud of my white belt with him (and I have learned more as one of his white belts than all else combined!)

Anyway, I am riding the train home from NYC last week and two guys are sitting in the seat in front of me. One guy says, "Hey Sensei, you worked us hard tonight". So, being the friendly New Yorker I am and noticing that they are from out of town, I say, "Hey you guys are into martial arts... Do you want to borrow my martial arts magazine for the trip." And, I introduce myself.

I get to talking to these nice people and one guy asks me "So how long are you training" , I say on and off for 15 years... He says, "So you must be well up into the dan ranks..." I said, No.... I am a white belt... And they looked amazed.... Never before have I been so proud of saying that.... I also added later that I am a brown belt in TKD.

My opinion. My rank means nothing. Just think how other school's students who spar with me feel when a white belt beats them!

Sensei Sokon only had White Belts and Black Belts, so someone may have been a white belt for years under him.

Turns out that one of the guys was Sensei Nagamine. Son of Sensei Shoshin Nagamine. Amazing who you can run into on the LIRR.

I got Sensei Nagamine's phone number. I have to contact him about fixing his computer. I just might ask him about the book, just to get his opinion on the topic of ICG and project it outward. Will keep you all informed about what he tells me.
    With Warmest Regards,
    Sincerely,
    Joseph M. DiBella

Likes (received)

Default Love of Knowledge and the correctness of it

Quote Originally Posted by Bustillo, A.
    K. Arakaki's brand of karate, 'Muso kai'.

Muso kai combines shorin ryu with kyokushin and he enters his fighters in full-contact KK type events.

You all know a bit....about the teachings of my Shihan you know nothing....but you have interest to understand a little about the way.

You need not agree with what you understand....but what you don't understand you mustn’t disagree with. This would prove to be juvenile in your personal judgment.

These are proven tactics by a mighty practitioner of the old way combined with a modern realization.

Please enjoy reading the essence of the bodies inner mechanics.....whip versus two by four.......interesting......and correct, correct, correct....Muso kai Karate Do.
    spencer Thompson

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goju Man
    Interesting.....i agree that the color of your belt doesn't matter...if your master is only interested in giving them away.

Think of belts as degrees of knowledge....and the bars as depth with in the degrees.
    spencer Thompson

Likes (received)

Default Not so sure about this explaination

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuck3X
    Bryan,

The way he explained the "falling" to me was, if you look at an
    Olympic runner, his feet don't propel him as much as they try to
    keep up with his head. In other words you are slightly out of
    balance and you kind of fall into your position. Since Okinawan
    stances are much narrower than Japanese, your commitment to
    direction isn't as severe. Also, when you commit to a direction,
    you commit. So in moving forward, you are using sinking power.
    I think...

My problem with this anaolgy is a runner does not have someone trying to punch him in the face when he leans forward. I for one do not like the idea of leading with my head and shoulders.

That being said, I just bought the book (great deal on a used copy on Amazon) and have started reading it. I can always empty my tea cup a bit to learn something new.
    Rick Sbuscio

Likes (received)

In application, you would move your koshi not your head!
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Likes (received)

Default Tread subject

Was this tread initially on "power generation" (phajing) in karate or I totally missed the point ?!?
    Francisco Esteves
    Sankyu, Aoinagi-ha Shito-Ryu Karate-do

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Williams View Post
    I agree with Joe's Sensei, too much talk and not enough do. I went to Arakaki's website and was really not that impressed with the pictures or the information. The concept of "falling" into a technique and the "whippin punch" are concepts that are found in many Okinawan ryu. If you do the kata long enough and properly, they just happen. I personally think Mr. Arakaki is a nice guy but a lightweight. Gene
    This is an old thread, but this needs to be addressed. Shihan Arakaki does not need me to defend him on some internet forum, but the sheer ignorance of calling him a lightweight is painful to read. I have trained in many martial arts, and Shihan Arakaki is the finest martial artist I have ever met, in fact after meeting him I can't say that I've ever met another true martial artist besides him. If you consider the sport based arts of Judo and Gracie Jiu Jitsu then I have, but in the striking arts no one even comes close. The only thing that I believe surpasses his skill is his teaching, and every single student who attended his school and had experience in other arts said the same thing. Best school they had ever seen, even in Japan (A lot of exchange students from Japan trained at his school while I was there).So I am sorry you are so quick to judge a man you have never met, nor trained under Mr. Williams. You have done yourself a tremendous disservice in doing so.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mizu_no_kokoro View Post
    Was this tread initially on "power generation" (phajing) in karate or I totally missed the point ?!?
    No matter how accomplished and skilled the author of a book is, you will never learn power generation from reading something. For anyone who reads this thread, if Karate-Ka power punches are what you seek, go to Salt Lake and train with Shihan Arakaki-there is no one better skill wise and no one better at transmitting that skill to a student.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3