Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: iaido and tameshigiri

Likes (received)

Default Re: 1993?

Originally posted by DCPan
    Is the MJER policy of no tameshigiri in place before or after the 1993 Demo in Arizona?

Just curious....
    Right style David...wrong organization. The 93 demo you reference is the same group Earl is talking about. That group of MJER practitioners is the Komeijuku which is run by Sekiguchi Komei. This group operates outside and independant of the Seitokai. Sekiguchi Komei's MJER group actively practices tameshigiri. I believe E-Budo's own Bob Armas is a member of some standing in the American branch of the Komeijuku and could probably cast some radiance on the Komeijuku if you asked him. It is my understanding that he competed and did quite well at Bob Elder's tournament this last year.
    Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

Likes (received)

Right, those are the guys. Thanks, Scott.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

My pleasure Earl...I try to be helpful on occasion
    Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

Likes (received)

First I would like to say that I agree with most of what Mr. Skoss, Mr. Hartman and my little buddy Mr. Power are saying.
    Most of the Martial systems being studied today have lost many of their combative attributes due to the fact that most people (especially in Japan) don¡¦t feel the need and the mindset for such training. Many of them view it as mere hobby.
    This has been echoed to me on several occasions in Japan by many high ranking senseis. Several of which were MJER sensei. Many of them study some sort of Batto Jutsu in order to better understand what it is like to cut something while using the kata and waza from their prospective ryuha.

Regardless of ones take on the bugei, you must have an understanding of what maai, seme and real contact feel like in order to really understand what it is that you are doing.
    This is just my opinion, but also the way that I have been taught through out my entire martial arts life.
    In my dojo, I break our renshu down in the following order:

Kihon-every session no matter what. Without good Kihon you are weak. Period!

Kata=40% ( various weapons)

Kumitachi=30% ( various weapons)

Tameshigiri=20%

Tameshiai=10% ( paired sparring in bogu)

We do not do Kendo. We do free spar in what we call Tameshiai. This means to match up against another opponent. We do this once a month while wearing bogu in order to better understand what we are doing and how our techniques work in both an offensive and defensive position. I have invited a few friends to join us who are regulars on this forum as well. One in particular brought his Naginata down and proceeded to wipe my butt all over the floor that night. Too much pizza before Keiko is not a good thingļ It was as if I was anchored and could only watch as he hit me at will. It was pretty funny.
    The purpose of this is not to go nuts and try to throw anything at one another to score points. It is a way for you to understand very quickly what fighting with long sticks and such is like and to realize when you have made a mistake or had a hole in your technique.
    You will get hit and hit hard and you will be able to equate that with the fact that if it were a shinken that you were hit with. You would be dead!!! Or at least injured very badly.
    Nothing will prepare you for a fight like fighting will. Everything that your training encompasses must come together. All of the Kihon, Kata, Cutting, Kumitachi and Shiai as a whole will help you better understand what, when and where your waza and maai need to be. I feel that only focusing on specific areas will not give you the most realistic vision of one¡¦s training.
    Maybe that's why the millitary has live fire excersises.

Again, my opinion only.
    Regardless, to each his own I guess.

Anyway, I hope this adds fire to the threadļ

Big Tony
    Senpokan Dojo
    Bugei Trading Co.
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

Last night Niina-gosoke treated the gakuren (student's federation) to an all-you-can-eat-and-drink binge. Being the instructors for the gakuren, I too was invited. Besides stuffing myself with too much BBQ'd meat, I had a fascinating conversation with Gosoke (as all conversations with him are.)
    We discussed Tony's coming visit to Japan (plug!) and how he might react to the training and style of Mugairyu Iaihyodo. Keeping in mind the fact that the founder of Mugairyu split his time between training and zen meditation, it's fair to say we have a good balance between the 'do' of developing one's inner character, utilizing the 'jutsu'; effective techniques (not pretty dancing.)
    Gosoke said that once he was asked by some highly ranked shihan (8dan or something) why Niina Gosoke was so critical of his technique. Gosoke replied "Your technique is beautiful. Your kata are perfect. You cut thick targets with flawless hasuji. But grab any weapon you want and come try and cut me. I'll have my kissaki in your throat before you know what's up."
    Don't know what 'it' is, when Gosoke was a young, cocky businessman travelling all around South America, everyone else was getting mugged and kidnapped left and right, but Gosoke was never messed with, not once.
    I have no intention of ever being in a real fight again; got my ass beat enough times back in high school. But we train diligently to understand ourselves well enough to deal with any situation. It's not boxing or K1 or combat preparedness (this is the martial arts after all) but there is entirely too much dancing these days.
    If someone swinging a meter of razorsharp steel isn't scary but looks damn good, that's too much art, not enough martial in my opinion.
    But of course, not all styles focus on the same goals, so given that, styles can't really be compared to each other. I for one am glad that every time I go to a tournament or festival I see things I've never seen before (still blown away by the deadly beauties in full kimono with naginata). I'm more concerned with those styles being true to what they are, as similar or different as that may be.

Regards,
    renfield kuroda

Likes (received)

Why can't people say, 'My style does it. They're style doesn't and that's ok. We're just different.'?

Why does it always have to be, 'My style does it. They're style doesn't, and that's too bad, because the martial arts are really going down hill because of it.'?

It always comes off sounding like, 'Well that's not the way we do it so it must be wrong.' This more than anything is what I suspect has driven off so many of the senior instructors. I don't really think it's the snot nosed punks. The seniors know to just ignore those people. It's this deep seeded intolerance for those different than 'us' that is truly annoying.

The mindset of people online is so set in what they know/have been taught/believe/read somewhere/whatever. Some of you occasionally come off as very beligerent towards other systems, and I don't really think you mean to be.

Renfield, does Niina Gosoke teach free practice of any type or does he encourage his students to take up Kendo? I can't recall you ever specifying one way or the other. Just curious.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Bobar57
    We use longer swords than usual, but is not a must for the beginner, it is kind of a sign of skill for him later on,when he feel ready.
    As far as I understand it, Sekiguchi-sensei believes that using a long sword challenges and extends the boundary of one's ability. He doesn't comment that using one means one is skillful. Having used a 2-shaku 8-sun iaito in the past and reflecting on that experience, I believe a longer sword forces you to make big motions and can amplify the mistakes you may be doing with a shorter blade. Learning to really do sayabiki properly was another pointer

Saying that, I'm curently using a 2-shaku 4-sun blade, which is about right for my height. I'm hoping to get a longer blade later this year perhaps, finances permitting. I tend to change the length of the blade I use every couple of years to make sure I don't get too comfortable.

Best,

Jonathan

Likes (received)

Hey Bob. Glad to talk to you out of the context of the threads that shall not be named.

Define long. I'm 5'6" and use a 2-4-5 on a regular basis. Man it seemed like a beast early on, but now it seems like nothing. I can comfortably manage a 2-5-0, and could probably work with a 2-5-5 without too much trouble. How much longer would your school be using for a 5'6" individual?
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Charles,
    I'm not sure who you are refering too that is saying what you or anybody is doing is wrong. I see people giving their oppinion's about how they view training in Martial Arts. Giving their perspectives so to speak.
    I re-glanced at some of the posts in the thread and don't see that at all.
    What I do see is you taking personal offense to what other people's view's are. Some of which have been training in Budo of some sort both in Japan and the U.S. for some time.

To each his own, right?

BIG TONY
    Senpokan Dojo
    Bugei Trading Co.
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

Originally posted by T. ALVAREZ

To each his own, right?
    That's all I've been trying to say. Hmm... Perhaps I read too much into some of the posts. You are correct I think. No one challenged me or MJER's practice directly.

I guess what bothered me is the couching of opinions in absolute terms.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Charles,
    or should I say Crusader?

Of course i'm right. I'm always right

Yeh right!

BIG TONY
    Senpokan Dojo
    Bugei Trading Co.
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

Originally posted by T. ALVAREZ
    Charles,
    or should I say Crusader?
    You know I'm still not sure how to take that. Can't decide if you mean it well or not.

Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Oh, I mean it.
    I guess you will just have to wait until I come to Texas in May to really find out

BIG TONY
    Senpokan Dojo
    Bugei Trading Co.
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

Guess so. I will definitely be in San Antonio. I look forward to seeing your demo.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Bobar57
    Charles, a 2.55 is fine for you, considering your heigh. But,what I see? A challenge from Big Tony? On May? Man, better get a 2.75 at least, from Bugei!
    Think you misread that one Bob. Pretty sure he wasn't challenging me in any way. I hope not. He's a lot bigger than me

And if I'm not mistaken he's been doing what he does a lot longer than I've been doing what I do.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast