Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: iaido and tameshigiri

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Charles Mahan
    Renfield, does Niina Gosoke teach free practice of any type or does he encourage his students to take up Kendo? I can't recall you ever specifying one way or the other. Just curious.
    No 'free practice' or sparring or anything. We are very much encouraged to study other arts; Niina-gosoke is menkyo-kaiden in both Mugairyu Iaihyodo and jo (Shinden Musoryu I believe) and under NPO Hougyoku-kai we have jo, tanjo, tanto, iai, sai, kusarigama, and aikido.

I personally did kendo for a couple of years, and think it was reasonably helpful.

Regards,

renfield kuroda

Likes (received)

Originally posted by renfield_kuroda

Niina-gosoke is menkyo-kaiden in .....jo (Shinden Musoryu I believe).....
    Renfield:

I have never heard of jojutsu/do of the Shinden Muso Ryu. Do you mean, perhaps, Shinto Muso Ryu jo? If "Shinden Muso Ryu" is not a typo, can you direct me/us to any information about this school of jo?

Also, what is the NPO Hougyoku-kai? It is interesting that sai is in their curriculum, since it is, AFAIK, an Okinawan weapon, and not tradtionally used by Japanese bushi.

Thanks.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Default Shindo Muso Ryu

Earl,

I think Ren committed the typical typo regarding the jodo style (I've been guilty of that on numerous occasions).

Shiokawa sensei is also a highly-respected Karatedo hanshi. He appeared in "Einaru Budo" and in the book that accompanied the movie. I saw a photo of him in his 20s and he looks hard as a rock and tough as a combat marine! He is a bit older now and his chiseled features have softened, and his hair is a fond rememberance of earlier days (kinda like me!)

Not a lot of info on him from the internet, but I did find the following at http://www.chintokan.com/usajf.htm

The Chairman and Supreme Instructor of the International Jo-Do Federation and the All Japan Jo-Do Federation is Soke Hoshu Shiokawa Sensei. Soke Hoshu Shiokawa Sensei holds phenomenal credentials in numerous diversified Japanese Budo:

* Shiokawa-Ha Shindo Muso Ryu Jo-Do, Soke
    * Shindo Muso Ryu Jo-Do, Menkyo Kaiden (a next potential Soke)
    * Mugai Ryu Iai-Do, 15th Generation Soke
    * Shiokawa-Ha Shito Ryu Karate-Do, Soke
    * Japan Karate-Do Kai, Hanshi and 9th Dan
    * Kogan Ryu Sojutsu, Hanshi and 9th Dan
    * Issin Ryu Kusarigama, Kyoshi
    * Ikaku Ryu Jitte Jutsu, Kyoshi
    * Okinawa Kobudo (Sai, Nunchaku and Tunfa), Kyoshi
    * Dai Nippon Butoku Kai Judo, Kyoshi and 6th Dan
    * All Japan Kendo Federation, Renshi and 5th Dan

Cheers,
    Guy
    (p.s., I got your message re "sweet" tameshigiri.)
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

junjo Guest

Smile Tameshigiri

Although it is not common for Eishin Ryu and Muso shinden practitioners to do tameshigiri I think it depends on the instructor. In my MJER training in Japan we actually did cutting quite often, perhaps once a month, but again I think it's a matter for the teacher to decide. Personally I think all swordsman of any ryu-ha should practice it. There is no replacement for the handling and the feel of actually cutting with a shinken. And of course it gives one better perspective on why when practicing waza that the blade has to be held in just the right fashion etc, and therefore because of this, it improves one's waza. The biggest proponents of cutting though in Japan and the US is the Toyama Ryu and Batto Ho practitioners. A close friend of mine (and coincidentally a professional polisher) was of the latter school. And in the US I know of Sensei Dan Elder who is affiliated with Toyama ryu and oftens holds TAIKAI with cutting events in Orlando. If you would like to talk to him more about tameshigiri you can find him on his stores' website www.eastcoastmartialartssupply.com

Gary MacMullen
    MJER
    SAKA

Likes (received)

Default what guy says

Yup, I typo'd. As I have not yet studied jo, I don't know much about it, other than I meant to type Shindomusoryu (for those with Japanese-enabled browsers: ?_“¹–²‘z—¬)

NPO Hougyoku-kai is a Non-Profit Organization founded by Niina-gosoke (16th) which exists solely for the purpose of promoting traditional Japanese martial arts including Mugairyu Iaihyodo, Shindomusoryu Jodo, Toshoryu/Uchidaryu tanjojutsu, Hoshoryu saijutsu, and others.

As Guy mentioned, Shiokawa-gosoke originally started in karate, which is why he has worked so actively to bring back sai. "Chairman and Supreme Instructor" sounds like he belongs to Elmore-sensei's Blade of Death Dojo, but anyway he's 80 this year and as feisty and dangerous as ever.
    Last year at the Zenkoku Taikai he and Niina-gosoke performed some jo vs. sword kumitachi: http://www.gojyaku.com/mugai/zenkoku/zenkoku2.htm and man he is fast! Those are some wicked kata; if Niina-gosoke wasn't equally as fast he would be picking his teeth out of Shiokawa-gosoke's jo!

Regards,
    renfield kuroda

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8