Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Aikido Flavours: Aikikai to Yoshinkan: What's in a Name?

Likes (received)

Default Flavours of Aikido

This Thread will be a brief intro/description of the variety of Aikido Styles out there. The purpose of this thread will be a reference for both beginners and others who just can't keep up with all the flavours. The format will be Name, founder, brief description, current head (if known). Feel free to add you input, both of styles that I don't mention or if my info is less than current or less than complete. Keep the info coming and I will make this post a sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Aikikai: Umbrella "style" that encompasses the mainstream aikido. The Aikikai is run by Morehei Ueshiba's decendents. The current Doshu is Moriteru Ueshiba.

Yoshinkan: Founded by Gozo Shioda, a student of the founder from the mid 30's. A "harder" style of aikido it is quite popular with police departments. It is run by the Yoshinkai which is sperate from the Aikikai although both organazations are on good terms.

Shodokan: Also called tomiki Aikido. Was founded by Kenji Tomiki, a student of both Judo (under kano) and Aikido (under Ueshiba). Shodokan is one of the few (or only) Aikido styles that teaches competion. It is a seperate entity from other orgs.

Iwama: Founded by Morihiro Saito. While still part of the Aikikai, it is considered different enough to be considered it own style. Saito was a live in student (uchi-deshi) from 1946 and trained with the founder until his death. Technically it is consdiered to resemble the style of Aikido Ueshiba Sensei was teaching in the 50's and places a greater emphasis on weapons that other aikido styles.

Shin Shin Toitsu: Founded by Kochi Tohei in 1974 when Tohei left the Aikikai after being the Cheif instructor at the Aikikai Hombu dojo. Tohei is the only Aikidoka graded to JuDan (10th degree balckbelt) by the Founder.
    Tony Manifold
    " Attack, attack, attack- come at your target from every possible direction and press until his defenses overload. Never give him time to recover his balance: never give him time to counter"
    Stover

http://members.shaw.ca/tmanifold

Likes (received)

I must strongly disagree with the statement that Iwama is considered "different enough to be considered it own style". There are lots of flavours of Aikaiki out there, and many of them are a lot more similar to Saito sensei's aikido than to Endo sensei's or Nishio sensei's aikido (both of them Aikikai).

I do think you should differentiate between style from a technical point of view, and organisation.
    Hanna Björk

Likes (received)

Without starting an argument I just will say that Iwama style Aikido is often called just that a style. This is supposed to be just a list so when some one hears about Iwama style and doesn't know what that means they can look. Just list different styles or noteworthy branches. Only ment to be a basic list not an indepth descussion.
    Tony Manifold
    " Attack, attack, attack- come at your target from every possible direction and press until his defenses overload. Never give him time to recover his balance: never give him time to counter"
    Stover

Likes (received)

Default Aikido Yoshinkai Foundation

Founded in 1955 by Gozo Shioda Soke, a pre and post war student of Aikido Founder Morehei Ueshiba. Puts emphasis on the unification of the mind and body through repetitive and structured training of the mind and body. Official Aikido system of the Tokyo Riot Police. Maintains close ties to the Aikido World Headquarters and is responsible for the early spread and popularization of Aikido. Formed international branch, the International Yoshinkai Aikido Federation (IYAF) in 1990.

Honbu Dojo - http://www.yoshinkan.net
    IYAF - http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.org

Tetsutaro Shioda (Nidai Soke)

Hideo Yamada, Kaicho, Aikido Yoshinkai Foundation
    Kiyoko Ono, Kaicho, International Yoshinkani Aikido Federation

Kiyoyuki Terada (Saikokomon - Chief Consultant - cofounder)

Kyoichi Inoue (Kancho)
    Tsutomu Chida (Dojocho)

Instructor Staff:
    Yasuhisa Shioda (Shihan)
    Takehiko Sonoda (Shihan)
    Susumu Chino (Shihan)
    Takayuki Oyamada (Kyoshi)
    Kenji Ito (Jokyo)
    Shinichi Murata (Jokyo)
    Saburo Takashima (Shidoin)
    Haruo Nakano (Shidoin)

Likes (received)

Originally posted by tmanifold
    Without starting an argument I just will say that Iwama style Aikido is often called just that a style. This is supposed to be just a list so when some one hears about Iwama style and doesn't know what that means they can look. Just list different styles or noteworthy branches. Only ment to be a basic list not an indepth descussion.
    The moment you start throwing around and attaching the term "STYLE" to the various schools and teachers, you open yourself up to debate. The Aikikai is not a "STYLE". And the YoshinKAN is not run by the YoshinKAI. There one in the same. In my view, there are know "STYLES" in Aikido. There are many different schools, but only ONE Aikido.

The USAF, ASU, Iwama, and many more are all Aikikai AFFILIATED schools, but they all go about teaching Aikido differently. Let not mis-represent it.

Your idea was good, but your waza needs work. As Parker Shihan says, "Be careful .. take your time"

Likes (received)

Maybe the term flavours was the better one. I will say that every website I check to make sure my info was right made a seperate note of Iwama style. I think one of the best things about aikido is that it changes with just about every one who teaches it so there are so many flavours out there that there is almost one for every type of person.
    Tony Manifold
    Stover

Likes (received)

Default Yoseikan

Yoseikan Budo, founded by Minoru Mochizuki of Shizuoka, is another pre-war branch of O-Sensei's wonderful aikido tree. Often overlooked on this forum, there are now a couple (at least) Yoseikan representatives who can speak with far more knowledge and depth than I. I am an Aikikai "stylist" who had the great good fortune to train with Mochizuki Sensei at his hombu dojo in my wife's hometown of Shizuoka.

Mochizuki was a great judo man, and Kano Sensei sent him to investigate "this new aikido thing" of Ueshiba Morihei. Mochizuki became entranced with aikido, stayed several years as uchi-deshi, and later, in Yoseikan he fashioned a syncretic art featuring judo, karate, and aikido. In the early 50's just as (or just before) Tomiki and Tohei brought aikido to America, Mochizuki brought it to France, where it is still hugely popular.

bruceb Guest

Default Excuse me?

Do I detect some self consciousness and ego being thrown about?

This is Aikido, isn't it?

Give the moderator a break.

I may not like the way he thinks, or how he discusses threads, but this tossing about of names?

Technically, Aikido is a style of martial arts, and the different houses under that umbrella are supposed to be related in some way.

Maybe it is true.

We chose our friends, but we are not so lucky in having a choice about our relatives.

Please .... a little more respect for our friend.

Likes (received)

While I think your intentions (Bruce and Mr. Manifold)are good, I think they could benefit from listening to some of the voices being raised. They have put in many years of sweat and research to come to where they are. They are worth listening to. It is worth it to get the facts (where they may be found) right. So often, there are no facts to work with. Lets not abuse them when they exist. In my opinion, it does matter. It may sometimes seem picky, it may sometimes seem rude. I'm sure it is not meant that way (rude, at least). And I am almost positive that it is NOT a matter of ego. Simply a firm belief in getting it right.

Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

I just want this thread to be an informational thread about different flavors of Aikdo and to be used as a reference for people who are unsure as to what is meant when one says Iwama "style", Yoshinkan, or Yoseikan. If you do not agree with what is said about a particular branch just post your own description and let the reader sort it out.

Thanks
    Tony Manifold
    Stover

Likes (received)

Long as we're picking nits here... Tohei was not the only tenth dan awarded by Osensei.

Hikitsuchi Michio sensei in Shingu was also awarded a tenth dan by Osensei. Apparently it was given verbally by OSensei and subsequently in writing by Hombu. I read this on the AJ site, but can't quote the source. I do know that Hikitsuchi Sensei has claimed 10th dan for years and is still affiliated with Hombu. I'm guessing that if he were not a genuine 10th dan, he'd have been censured somehow by now.

Likes (received)

I think, in reference to Tohei, he was the only one presented with a certificate or other verifiable source(don't know exactly what) Judan by the founder. If I am not mistaken there have been a few other Judans as well. So while Hikisuchi may have been told he was a 10th dan it was oficially given by the hombu not Ueshiba. It is nit picking but if this is gonna degenerate into that, well maybe I should remove the sticky because this isn't a thread aimed at beginners just another discussion.
    Tony Manifold
    Stover

Likes (received)

FUGAKUKAI: A branch of Tomiki style Aikido formed in 1982 by Miyake Tsunako, Karl Geis and Inoue Takeshi. Karl Geis, the only foreiger promoted to 6 dan by Tomiki sensei, helped spread Aikido widely in the US. This brand of aikido centers on kata and non-competitive hand randori. Geis sensei is also 8 dan Judo (USJA/USJI) and got his Kodokan 4 dan on the main floor in the Japanese section.

Several Aikido organizations have branched off from Fugakukai:

JIYUSHINKAI: Founded by Chuck Clark, follows the teachings of Tomiki, Kano, and Ueshiba.

INTL AIKIDO ALLIANCE: Directed by Lowell Wilkinson.

(Not to be confused with the NATL AIKIDO ALLIANCE based in North Carolina, a JAA/Tomiki off-shoot led by Larry Hildebrand.)

AMERICAN TOMIKI AIKIDO ASSN: Led by Harry Wright.
    Jack Bieler

"The best things can't be told; the second best are misunderstood; the third best are what we talk about." - after Heinrich Zimmer

Likes (received)

Default Yoseikan Aikido Budo

My thanks to Gil Gillespie for his notation of Yoseikan. He got it exactly right and all that I can really add is that, while O Sensei Mochizuki is still alive (soon to celebrate his 96th birthday), he gave all things Yoseikan over to his son Hiroo Mochizuki, who built upon his father's work(Yoseikan World Federation) and with whom most, though not all, Yoseikan groups worldwide are affiliated. Hiroo Mochizuki was also a direct student of Ueshiba, though at a much later time.

By the way Gil, I noticed you live in Florida. One of our Nidan lives in Pensacola. He was uchideshi at Hombu in Shizuoka for several years and recently he married a Shizuoka girl also. Small world.

Phil Farmer
    President
    United States Yoseikan Budo Association
    docphil

Likes (received)

Is there a yoseikan group in Canada?
    Tony Manifold
    Stover

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast