Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rene Pomerelle

Likes (received)

Default Rene Pomerelle

Rene Pomerelle died February 17th. Do not know details. I knew him in the 1960's. He will be missed.

MarkF Guest

Jeff,
    I'm sorry for your loss and for the family, as well, but if you want to write an obit, I'll post it to stick at the top for a few days or so.

I just thought for those like me, it may help in learning more about him. Post it here or a new thread and I'll make it a "sticky" post.

Mark

Likes (received)

I apologize for my ignorance... But can anyone share some info on Mr. Pomerelle and his accomplishments?

Thank you in advance,
    Henry Infante
    Budo Tenchi Dojo
    World Institute for Security Enhancement

Likes (received)

Originally posted by yama-nagare
    I apologize for my ignorance... But can anyone share some info on Mr. Pomerelle and his accomplishments?

Thank you in advance,
    Rene Pomerelle was the CISM Judo coach for the US Military from as far back as I can remember. I think he was involved with CISM from around 1960 and is well known to any Judoka who was involved in Judo in those days. French Conseil International du Sport Militaire (CISM) for The International Military Sports Council.

I met him a few times when in the U.S. Air Force Judo tournaments and when he was involved with the 1968 Olympic Judo Team. The did not have Judo in the 1968 Olympics, but we still had a team and they visited a lot of Judo clubs during that time. He came with the team to the Kittyhawk Judo CLub where I was an instructor in 1968-ish.

There are a few on this borad that knew him personally so will wait for their responses.

Joe Ciokon Guest

Default Rene Pommerelle

I was his assistant with the US CISM Judo Team from 1973-78 at Lackland AFB outside San Antonio, TX. Got to know he and Dixie fairly well. He was more well known in Europe, particularly France and Germany where he coached their national teams at different times in his career. He said he served in the French Foreign Legion during the Algerian campaign, had a family home in the south of France, and spoke nine different languages including Arabic. He joined the US Air Force at Ramstein and wound up at Lackland where he taught military police tactics. He was also a gourmet chef. He was real handy at the international matches as he could understand what the other teams coaches were telling their players. We travelled to Brazil twice, Germany, France, and Austria. USJA should have an extensive bio on him. I believe he was also inducted into their Hall of Fame. Did anyone write an Obituary?
    Joe Ciokon, MCPO, USN (Ret.)
    Head Coach, US Navy Judo Team
    San Diego, CA

Likes (received)

Hope someone does write one. I haven't seen him since 1968, so lost track of him. I understand that he was ill for a while. Can't remember who told me. Lots of us older Judo guys are sailing off to the bug mat.

MarkF Guest

USJA should have an extensive bio on him. I believe he was also inducted into their Hall of Fame. Did anyone write an Obituary?

I did a fast search on the USJA web site, but couldn't find an actual search function button on the site. If there is info. about him there, I looked in the most obvious places, such as the Hall of Fame and couldn't find him.

It doesn't mean they don't have the info/bio/obit, or that they will, I just didn't find anything.

Could someone search the new USJA web site? It has been reworked to some degree, and a new URL (to me), lots of newer information, I just couldn't find anything about the man. Also, it seems the Hall of Fame only goes back to 1996 so if he was inducted before that, it may be necessary to contact Jim Bregman or someone else specifically in charge of such awards. There is one judoka who calls herself "Judo Slave" on the list of awards board members.

Mark

Edit in: Welcome to the forum, Joe.

Joe Ciokon Guest

Thanks, Mark,
    I'll dig around my files and see what more I can find. It's been a while.
    Joe

Likes (received)

Well, I guess no one gives a hoot about an old koot. Rene was known to us, the old gang from the old days. I'll bet there aren't three people here who even know who George Harris is, or George Bass, or Rick Mertens was. Don't get me started!

Or knows that Karl Geis loves flying WWII fighter planes! Or, well, that's enough.

Likes (received)

I would just like to thank everyone again for their answers...It sounds to me like Mr. Pomerelle was a great Judoka and warrior( being in the Foreign Legion ). It's nice to know that there is one forum where you can ask a question and not get eaten up alive....
    Henry Infante
    Budo Tenchi Dojo
    World Institute for Security Enhancement

MarkF Guest

Originally posted by yama-nagare
    I would just like to thank everyone again for their answers...It sounds to me like Mr. Pomerelle was a great Judoka and warrior( being in the Foreign Legion ). It's nice to know that there is one forum where you can ask a question and not get eaten up alive....
    Some occasionally ask in the Bad Budo forum why there are no Good Budo fora. They're here, you just have to look around.

From all of us in the "good budo" forum, thanks, Henry.

Mark

Likes (received)

I realize this is an old thread, but i was doing some research on Rene Pomerelle and ran across this thread. I am saddened to hear of his death.

My brother and I were students of his when he taught at Lackland and Randolph about 35 years ago. My brother earned a black belt which helped in get into West Point and I earned my brown belt which helped me with amatuer MMA.

He was certainly passionate about Judo and teaching it. He will be missed.

The Staceys

Likes (received)

Just checking in.