Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Youngest & Oldest

Likes (received)

32 and old enough to remember:

10 print "william sux"
    20 goto 10
    30 run

cue a monochrome screen filled with william sux down the left hand side of a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It also worked on the Oric computers as well. But never on an Amstrad 1512

Kimpatsu Guest

Yes, Will, I too remember BASIC (Beginners' All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). Unlike PASCAL or FORTRAN, it was interpreted, not compiled.
    Now I really am showing my age...

Likes (received)

I will not say anything about it Tony, i'll keep shtum

Striking Hand Guest

Will.

Those were the days when Computer Games were still printed in source code in the mags.

Boy, did I have fun typing them in and then looking for typing errors because it wouldn't run.

Never mind that you needed a tape-recorder to back them up and loading them took forever, and MANy attempts, plus the loading sounds drove your family crazy.

Likes (received)

I share the same inception date and country of origin as Tony K, but he's always had more memory...
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Striking Hand
    Will.

Those were the days when Computer Games were still printed in source code in the mags.

Boy, did I have fun typing them in and then looking for typing errors because it wouldn't run.

Never mind that you needed a tape-recorder to back them up and loading them took forever, and MANy attempts, plus the loading sounds drove your family crazy.

I still have the old Atari with 50 games somewhere. And I do also have somewhere a keyboard computer with a tape deck. I think it's in the loft. I will have to dig it out and PM you with it's name

Likes (received)

Default Re: Whe I was 42

Originally posted by Bobar57
    This me when I was 42( a year ago, duh).The older guy you might know him too.
    *Does best Sean Connery voice*

I must be dreaming...

Thats pretty darn cool!

I remember my fisrt 'computer' was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. The games were on a cassette and it took 15 minutes to load with that "Woooob woooob wooob Jek...Wooob wooobb JEK!" sound always in the background.

My first pc had a cd-rom and Windows 95 I found these strange vinal black disks, about 12" in diameter. They had music on them but they wound not fit in my CD player...can someone help?

Cheers
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Richard Price Guest

Thirty-two just over a week ago...it's great. I really mean that...great!!

Likes (received)

I will be 30 in 3 days. I remember my commador 64. What wonderful memories of that machine The days when games were simple, but very addictive. Hell I remember telling my teacher she was "gigo"
    James M. Emdin

Jiko o shiru koto
    -----------------------

Gene Williams Guest

All you young punks. Yeah, I remember Atari. Hell, I remember Ping Pong on computerized games in bars. My first computer was an IBM PC Junior which I bought when they put them on sale for 650 bucks. Down from 1200. 128k, analog monitor (not bad either), sounded like a 55 Ford truck going up a hill. I used to play King's Quest with my kids on the thing. GENE

Richard Price Guest

My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20, first game was Frogger. Drove me insane.

L-Fitzgerald Guest

Default To really date oneself

I could ask does anyone [besides Dan] remember Flathead Fords, or Rocket 88 Olds or a J-2 with a 6 pack, and don't believe that stuff about "this is not your father's Oldsmobile." Or what an Arden Engine was and where it became popular

Hey Bobar I dont remember posing with you - seriously - nice touch - got a few famous personality shots myself - it's fun to see the reaction on the faces of others - however, his Russian tinged with a Scot's brogue in "Red October" was a bit of a stretch.

As for me - 4 months old when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, and when my Uncle came home [he was at Scofield when they hit] the pictures of Hawaii before the war and compared to what it looks like today are incredible........... yes I'll be 62 in August........ and still having fun.......

As for computers- remember Pong? or the ad by Volvo in 72 when they touted their car as being the first in America with 2 brains - one was the driver and the second with their Electronic Brain that controlled the fuel injected engine [they didn't tell you that the Germans designed it]

Default Sidevalves forever!

Originally posted by L-Fitzgerald
    I could ask does anyone [besides Dan] remember Flathead Fords, or Rocket 88 Olds or a J-2 with a 6 pack
    Don't remember 'em first time around - but one of my biggest desires right now (if I ever get a garage) is to build myself something containing a flathead - preferably a '32, but anything early and ford would do. Flat-black, chopped & channelled and rolling on red steelies with skinny whitewall crossplies. And a mexican blanket seatcover, oh yes. (Where's the "drool" smilie).

There's a dragrace series over here called 'flathead meltdown' - the rules are basically a) a sidevalve engine and b)street legal and registered. I think some of those guys are approching the mid 13s. Certainly plenty of 14 second cars rolling around.

Check it out: http://www.kelsey.co.uk/magazines/custom/meltdown.html

Cheers,

Mike

L-Fitzgerald Guest

Default Nice site

Now forgive me but a 79 Dodge Lil Red Express is parked in my yard along side a 66 Chevy II and a 69 Gia that's waiting for my son and I to finish assembling the Porsche Engine. The Chevy II is a straight 6 stick shift, but I've toyed about putting a 292 straight 6 with 283 pistons and a 239 head in it. Some years back I used to run it with 2 single barrel carbs and used to blow the doors off the yuppies with their Jeeps - [commuted to work with it for 5 years and had some fun while putting the kids through college with the cash saved from not making car payments]

Once had a 58 Ford wagon with a 312 Merc engine with ECZG valves [the size of silver dollars and since I never could find a P&G valve gap tool so they clacked a bit] coupled to a 3 speed Borg warner T-85 on the floor w/Overdrive wired to a toggle switch that let me use the O/D in all gears something akin to a 6 speed. Damned thing weighed 4000 pounds but when it was dropped into Overdrive I could hit 130+ with it, and the kids with their Mustangs never wanted to race "top end" for the pink slip, they knew how fast it was on the highway. It was a tank but I loved it......

When my two sons were in HS they asked to use the Lil Red. I later learned that some guys were hassling them about it being all show and no go........ and that my kids not only shut them down at the light outside the coffee shop, but left 100 feet of rubber in the process....... seems that apples raise apples.........

But the son that doesn't live at home anymore is now a yuppie and today wouldn't think to let me drive his car. But his wife caught him one day doing donuts in the snow with her 4x4 German car - she had a fit....... seems he's a kid just like his ol man.........

Likes (received)

jeezz.... there really are a LOT of OLD people in here... hmmmmm

maybe this would be nice to put on the front page of E-budo..:

E-BUDO HOME FOR THE ELDERLY.....
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast