Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mushu (Goja) Dori - Musashi Ryu? Panther/Tanemura Sensei videos

Benjamin Peters Guest

Default Mushu (Goja) Dori - Musashi Ryu? Panther/Tanemura Sensei videos

In one of the Panther Production videos (of Tanemura Sensei's), the technique of Mushu-dori (aka Goja-dori) is perforemd with a reference to the technique being derived from Musashi Ryu. Anyone know if Musashi Ryu was a weapon's school or a Jujutsu school? Got details on history or it's existance now? If you can help, thanks in advance.

Likes (received)

Default always

The ryuha has been reported to have weaponry and unarmed skills.

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com
    The best Japanese and Mexican Bugei in Dallas !

Likes (received)

Musashi-ryu jujutsu. This is the one that they "say" Musashi created after watching a cat roll off a roof top to avoid being attacked by a hawk. But, I don't think there is any record of Musashi starting his own jujutsu ryu, except for what little history the ryuha had to itself.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Musashiryu?

The man's family name is Miyamoto. To the best of my knowledge Miyamoto Sensei affectionately know as Musashi did not start an independant Ju jitsu style. The Hyoho Niten Ichiryu does have Jujitsu but its seldom practiced now.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

For what little it's worth, I seem to remember reading that Miyamoto Sensei was skilled at some form of jujutsu (I can't quite recall if it was Donn Drager or Ellis Amdur who wrote that, or some combination of both) but I've never seen any reference to him starting his own school of thought on the subject.
    Eric Baluja

Fukai kiri teme mo motenai kaku reru daizan.

Likes (received)

According to the old Bufu newsletters from Tanemura sensei Musashi ryu was the school that had challenged Toda sensei's dojo and Takamatsu sensei took up the challenge fighting two men. This also was the fight where Takamatsu sensei's ear was damaged.

sincerely,
    Brian Hodges
    Renshi
    GWNBF/KJJR
    Fudoshin Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Tanemura Sensei calls it Musashi Ryu Taijutsu !

Another topic on another board says :
    http://pub40.ezboard.com/fsamuraibuj...opicID=6.topic

All the best,
    Filip Poffé
    Renshi
    Dojo-Cho Chiryaku Dojo Belgium

Benjamin Peters Guest

Originally posted by Jeffery Brian Hodges
    According to the old Bufu newsletters from Tanemura sensei Musashi ryu was the school that had challenged Toda sensei's dojo and Takamatsu sensei took up the challenge fighting two men. This also was the fight where Takamatsu sensei's ear was damaged.
    sincerely,
    Interesting, somehow I was of the idea that Takamatsu's ear drum was busted in a sumo match when he was a kid? or was that the other guy?

Likes (received)

If i'm not mistaken, and I very well could be. Takamatsu had his arm broken when he fought the Musashi Ryu opponent. I'm going from memory here but I think it's in the book, "Essence of Ninjutsu" that hatsumi wrote. If I'm wrong let me know. Heck, don't bother to let me know because I'm going to go home and research it again.

syd sked

Benjamin Peters Guest

If i'm not mistaken, and I very well could be. Takamatsu had his arm broken when he fought the Musashi Ryu opponent. I'm going from memory here but I think it's in the book, "Essence of Ninjutsu" that hatsumi wrote. If I'm wrong let me know. Heck, don't bother to let me know because I'm going to go home and research it again.
    Yeah, where Takamatsu-sensei busted up his arm ad it hurt so much he passed out? i think i've heard something along the same lines. a mix-up perhaps?

Benjamin Peters Guest

Originally posted by Jeffery Brian Hodges

sincerely,

Here what I found off the net. Detailed source, but I don’t know how or where it’s all from…..
    http://www.geocities.com/bnyd/page3.html

When he was 15 years old he fought two students from the Musashi Ryu Jujutsu, called Hitotsubashi, and Kanzashi. Takamatsu at this time was nicknamed Kotaro. It was common practice for the challengers to fight three members of the Ryu they had challenged. The first two must be of the highest rank, the third maybe the oldest, but not the best. If all three were beaten, then the Kancho (founder) or Soke would fight them. One of Toda's senior students Kamiya (aka Shindo-kun) who was 25 years old, whom Toda had given the Menkyo Kaiden to, was the first to f ight. He fought Hitotsubashi who also had the Menkyo kaiden in the Musashi Ryu. They bowed then fought. kamiya grabbed Hitotsubashi's sleeve and preformed "Hikikomi Moguri Gata Ganseki Otoshi". His techniques was perfect, however the Musashi Ryu teaches you to move with the technique, giving a false impression to your opponent, that they have won. Kamiya, was kicked in the solar plexus stunning him. kamiya was out cold, and Hitotsubashi, was proclaimed the winner.

Takamatsu, then called Kotaro (Young Tiger), was next to fight. He had at this point never been beaten, and it was said that even at his young age he was an intensely dangerous fighter.

First he fought Hitotsubashi, who kept his distance from Takamatsu, trying to get Takamatsu to come closer to attack. Then suddenly Hitotsubashi attacked with a right punch. Takamatsu dropped to the ground and applied oni Taoshi. Hitotsubashi hit the ground, and was restrained by Takamatsu causing him to faint. Next Takamatsu fought Kanzaki, who was 29 years old, and called Kishin (demon spirit), by the Musashi Ryu. He was also ranked Menkyo Kaiden (some say that he was able to give mastership licenses to people). Kanzaki attacked firstwith afeint. Takamatsu fell for this, and as a result Kanzaki broke Takamatsu's left elbow. Takamatsu countered this with Gyaku Ganseki Otoshi. Kanzaki was not able to escape this throw, this technique beat Kanzaki, and as he was being taken down he was attacked again by Takamatsu with a rib breaking Hijidome elbow strike, but the broken elbow, caused him to pass out. However, as Kanzaki he some how managed to slap Takamatsu's ears, causing one of the them to rupture (This was later the cause for him to be excused from military service, and also left him deaf in one ear). The two fighters were revived by Toda, and together the men talked for many hours about fighting arts. Kanzaki commented that he had visited many Doio's to fight, but he had never met anyone like Takamatsu.