Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Yagyu Shinkage ryu heiho

Likes (received)

I do not know if this is the appropriate place to post this question, please forgive me as I am new to the forum. I am moving to NYC and it appears there are two programs in the city associated with Yagyu Shinkage Ryu: The Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Heiho School, and the Marobashikai Shinkageryu (which I believe is still a branch of the Yagyu Shinkageryu if I am not mistaken). While I am currently trying to arrange to visit both schools during a practice and will discuss most of my questions with the faculty at that time, I would like to hear input as to what the difference between the two programs is, despite what I am assuming is politics. I will try to discuss curriculum with both schools and will also ask about what they believe the differences are. Does anyone have any experience with either, or both programs, enough to give some input?

Likes (received)

Yagyu Shinkage-ryu at Kenzen Dojo is a branch of the Yagyukai, run under the auspices of Yagyu Koichi, 22nd soke of YSR. He comes to New York once a year to view and instruct practice.

The Marobashikai split off from the mainline in the 1970s. It is run by Watanabe Tadashige, the son of Watanabe Tadatoshi, who was a high level student of Yagyu Toshinaga, the 20th soke. I don't know

The curriculum is essentially the same, just arranged a little differently. The Marobashikai website calls the different levels of the curriculum "ranks", but we don't really have this concept in the Yagyukai. You practice until the soke decides you should learn the next kata. There are no tests, no ceremonies. You are simply shown the next kata and start to practice it.

With three generations separation there's some differences in the physical expression of the ryu.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer View Post
    Yagyu Shinkage-ryu at Kenzen Dojo is a branch of the Yagyukai, run under the auspices of Yagyu Koichi, 22nd soke of YSR. He comes to New York once a year to view and instruct practice.

The Marobashikai split off from the mainline in the 1970s. It is run by Watanabe Tadashige, the son of Watanabe Tadatoshi, who was a high level student of Yagyu Toshinaga, the 20th soke. I don't know

The curriculum is essentially the same, just arranged a little differently. The Marobashikai website calls the different levels of the curriculum "ranks", but we don't really have this concept in the Yagyukai. You practice until the soke decides you should learn the next kata. There are no tests, no ceremonies. You are simply shown the next kata and start to practice it.

With three generations separation there's some differences in the physical expression of the ryu.
    Thank you Mr. Reyer, that was very informative, and exactly the kind of information I was hoping to glean. When you talk about the age difference leading to differences in the physical expression of the Ryu, I would be interested to hear what you mean.

Likes (received)

Whoops. Got cut off there. This should read, "I don't know to what degree he travels to the U.S. for instruction."

Quote Originally Posted by bennosuke View Post
    Thank you Mr. Reyer, that was very informative, and exactly the kind of information I was hoping to glean. When you talk about the age difference leading to differences in the physical expression of the Ryu, I would be interested to hear what you mean.
    Well, it's difficult to explain and I don't know if it's obvious for a non-practitioner just watching videos. Also, there's not much Marobashikai video out there, making it hard to compare like with like.

Here's
    a demonstration by the New York Marobashi-kai.

This is a demonstration by the Yagyukai in the time of the previous soke. The first kata shown here is the same as the last kata shown in the above clip.

Here's
    a clip of the current soke and students.

See what you can make of it!
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

They do look very different, especially in how they apply Seme at the end. I'm not really sure I have the incite to take much from the differences though. You are right about the Rank thing, and it looks like it can get to be very expensive moving up the Ranks in the Marobashi.

I contacted the NYC Yagyukai via the email listed by their website (info@yagyukai.us) but never heard back from them. Does anyone know if the Dojo is still running and if there is a better way to get in contact with them?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bennosuke View Post
    I contacted the NYC Yagyukai via the email listed by their website (info@yagyukai.us) but never heard back from them. Does anyone know if the Dojo is still running and if there is a better way to get in contact with them?
    It's definitely running. The guy handling the address has been a bit busy lately, though. I'll check with some folks from my end, and see if we can't get you a reply.
    Josh Reyer

Likes (received)

It's definitely running. The guy handling the address has been a bit busy lately, though. I'll check with some folks from my end, and see if we can't get you a reply.
    Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3