Likes Likes:  0

Thread: personality necessary for change

Likes (received)

Default personality necessary for change

Thank you for being on this forum. I enjoyed your book a great deal, as did others at our Dojo. I intend to read it again and study it in more depth. It is an impressive work!

My question: the situation facing Japan as a nation in Ryoma's time could be viewed as similar to the situation today. Japan's current economic malaise is so closely tied to Japan's culture and Japan's struggle to find the proper way to interact with the outside world - much like the setting in the 19th century. In your opinion, is a charismatic or "catalytic" personality such as Ryoma what is needed to effect change for Japan?
    Richmond H. McCluer, Jr.
    Shito-Ryu Karate-Do Genbu-Kai
    Demura-Ha Shito-Ryu

If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything, it is open to everything. - Shunryu Suzuki

R Hillsborough Guest

Default Ryoma and Kaishu

Richmond

In my opinion a personality such as Ryoma, or for that matter, Katsu Kaishu, in the United States government would greatly benefit the tense international situation of today. Certainly Japan would also benefit from a personality such as either of those two great men.

Many Japanese seem to agree. As I mentioned in an earlier post today, and to repeat myself verbatim: About four years ago executives of 200 Japanese corporations were asked in a survey by Asahi Shimbun: "Who from the past millennium of world history would be most useful in overcoming Japan's current financial crisis?" Sakamoto Ryoma received more mention than any other historical figure, topping such giants as Thomas Edison, Leonardo da Vinci, Saigo Takamori, Oda Nobunaga and the founders of NEC and Honda.

Romulus Hillsborough