Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shu-Ha-Ri

pooh Guest

Smile Shu-Ha-Ri

Hello everyone-I hope all are doing well and smiling today! I wanted to write today about some training ideas. In budo there are three levels of learning/unlearning. These three are "Shu, Ha & Ri".

Shu: Learning the form-which can deal with many different ideas such as learning the order of the form, understanding the rythem, creating openings and closing's with in the form (as desired), etc.

Ha: Is breaking down/study of form-this is seeing why the form was created. What is being taught through the form -The reasons for this form, possibilities surrounding the form, etc.

Ri: Is freeing oneself of form-Once you have learned the form and understand the form in it's entirty, than throw the form away-No form.

I hope people can find value in this-if not than that's O.K. too

Take good care of yourselves and train diligently!

Mark Franco, L.Ac.
    Bujinkan Jihi no Kokoro Dojo
    City of Angel's

"The upright body must be stable and comfortable to be able to support force from the eight directions" -Wu Yu-Hsiang

Likes (received)

I think virtually any skill you learn (not only martial arts) uses these steps. Think about learning to drive a car.
    ----------------
    Braden Nicols

Likes (received)

Tanemura Sensei told me that Shu Ha Ri has little in common with Ninpo, and that it is a concept more commonly found in Gendai budo. There is no Ri for the ninja, since we strive to hold the essense of ninpo in our hearts, and not to throw it away, etc.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

pooh Guest

Tanemura Sensei told me that Shu Ha Ri has little in common with Ninpo, and that it is a concept more commonly found in Gendai budo. There is no Ri for the ninja, since we strive to hold the essense of ninpo in our hearts, and not to throw it away, etc.

Hi John,

From what I understand about the teachings in the Genbukan and Tanemura Sensei is that the main focus of the training is "Ninpo" (please forgive me if I have misunderstood the teaching). So it is hard for me to comment on this-and I do find it very interesting. I know that through the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei teaches Budo Taijutsu. And from what I interpret from Hatsumi Sensei's teaching, he talks allot about throwing away the form. This is what I understand as the "Ri" level of training. I believe that Hatsumi Sensei learned techniques early on and perfected them and now he is of the level of "no form". I don't want to go too far into this-I'm just another guy trying not to trip over my own feet. But I do want to thank you for your insight. And I look forward to more discussions in the future. From what I have read about you, you seem like your coming from a good place.

On that note, I am going to break off from the subjuct really quickly and I apologize for this. I would like to see us as martial artist's and huaman beings , be abe to talk about ninpo/budo from our experiences and understanding in a humane way and not come from a place that we are comparing teachers or organizations in a negative way. I too often see people getting into heeded discussions that aren't relevent or necessary. I remember early on, the discussions that were on "e-budo" were informative and encourageing for the most part-I think that this was the intention, and that's why we were so eager to be a part of "e-Budo". I now see people leaving the forum because of threats, bad-mouthing etc. and I think this is sad. I have heard that Tanemura Sensie is always projecting goodness among his students and I know by first hand experince, Hatsumi Sensei's compassionate heart. Let's keep this in mind.

John, thank you for your time and sitting and having tea over the internet. It was an honor and a pleasure. I look forward to many more!

Mark Franco, L.Ac.
    Bujinkan Jihi No Kokoro Dojo
    City of Angel's

"I remember that Takamatsu Sensei never became angry with anyone, he was always content" -memoriy of one of Hatsumi Sensei's stories