Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kata Shubu-Do Ryu?

Likes (received)

Question Kata Shubu-Do Ryu?

Hello. I am looking for somewhere cheap to train karate around here. I found a place that seems nice, but they teach a "Kata Shubu-Do Ryu" style of wich I never heard of. A quick search in Google revealed only some references in Brazilian sites. So I'm wondering, do you have more information about this style (assuming it exists)?
    --Leonardo Boiko

Likes (received)

Default Some info

Hi! Hope it still helps some years later! The karate style katá-shubu-do-ryu is in fact a style from brazil, centered in Curitiba. It was created by master Sergio Sena, who combined his knowledge of several martial arts to come up with a sintesyzed style with dinamic movements including punches and kicks, jumping kicks, throwing, groundwork, self-defense, a few weapons. The style is very organized in terms of it's program for each graduation, it's associaciation is registered and has been considerd of public utility. Despite japanese name (wich menas "the way for the movements of self-defense"), it uses portuguese language for it's techiniques, and since the style is very focused on physical education, the names of the techiniques use an anatomic aproach (such as naming a defense after the radial bone). I started on thestyle in college,in Santa catarina (in the UDESC university), were comunity and students are welcometo practice, for free. They reconize graduation in other styles by means of a special exam wich determines a highter graduation from the beggining. that's way I have not started as white belt, since I had experience in both shotokan karate and aikido. Students of physical education are very welcome in the style, and may progress a little faster since they understand the cience behind the style. It is good, since by laws in Brazil you need to graduate from physical education to be a martial arts teacher (the people who already teach before this have taken a special course[humm...is that the word? english is not my primary language...so sorry for any mistakes] to beable to keep teaching - but they can only teach that, not starting, for example, swin lessons!). In found the style to be much better for me than shotokan, but is obviously a matter of choice and preference.

Oh! by the way, it is a contact style, so in competition (wich is only allowed after orange belt is obtained) you use protection and the fight don't stop with each point, it's continuous. The style looks to prevent unnecesary injury, so if you get dizzy after an attack, bend your body after a powerful kick or something like that, it's considered techinical K.O.

No punch to the face is allowed, resulting in disclassification. For colored belts, driopoing the oponent to the ground is a point, then he gets up and they start over from the midle of thefihght area. For black belts the fight can continue on the ground, but punchesand kicks are not permited when in this situation, just grappling, like jujutsu. There are some other rules, but I think you get the picture already

The belt order is: white, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown, and black

Well, i guess that is it, anything else, just ask