Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: always training for uncertain times in USA

Likes (received)

Kamiyama hi I have a question about your BOB : is it meant to be a bag that you carry with you or something like a stockpile to which you have access?
    If it is meant to be carriable I think you might find it a bit heavy due mostly to the vast ammount of ammunition. Could you please clarify on this point?

P.S.
    Could you tell me what diameter th FN FAL is in NATO terms (7.62 perhaps)
    Keep to the way of the warrior

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

I only ask about the FN because when I trained with it 200 rounds and 10 clips where a conciderable weight

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Default always

is it meant to be a bag that you carry with you or something like a stockpile to which you have access?

***Kamiyama, This bag is for what I would consider an ‘everything all year round bag’.
    In this bag I have enough equipment to last a few weeks without support in different environments in the Texas area. Some things in the bag are doubled. Which of course can be taken out to lighten the load a great deal. This bag was developed for pick up and carry to auto and go. Where to? I’m not sure.***

If it is meant to be carriable I think you might find it a bit heavy due mostly to the vast ammount of ammunition. Could you please clarify on this point?

***kamiyama, The bag has four carry systems within it. One the bag itself, a shoulder bag that will carry 4 FN FAL mags on side and a great deal inside, a chest Rhodesian style FN FAL carry system holds 4 FN FAL mags and 4 - .45 mags, a should carry gab that has 4 FN FAL mags loaded and 120 rounds stripped clipped with mag loader, and most of all a complete LBV with semi large butt pack for carry. This system of carry, vest, 2 shoulder bags and chest harness will do me very good. I can almost carry every thing needed in this along. Then I have the carry bag it all came in. Which can be put on the vest to carry or can be divided to two people and carried that way. Yes I feel my personal responsibility to a group is security and I carry a great deal of tools to complete this effort if need be. Complete set has 180 to 200 rounds .308 and 10 rounds of .45. But you also have the extra 12 ga. And 9 x 18 rounds.
    If movement is a must and speed is clearly a must then I would take what I needed and go from this carry system. But if I had a buddy who didn’t have anything then it would not be a problem to get two to carry the complete set on the move.
    Being in an auto then of course I see no trouble at all with this carry system.***

Could you tell me what diameter th FN FAL is in NATO terms (7.62 perhaps) I only ask about the FN because when I trained with it 200 rounds and 10 clips where a conciderable weight.

***kamiyama, 7.62 x 51.
    A loaded mag and rifle weights at 11.2 pounds.
    This is of course if you carry one with no mount and scope.
    Then the weight will change to the equipment.
    I’ve trained with both a great deal, movement, rolling, running, grappling, ground movement, etc.. and I have no trouble with the weight. But that’s not for everyone.
    I’ve used a FN FAL, AK47, M16, M14, Mini14, HKG3 and .308 700 bolt and I feel the FN FAL is the best for me personally. I wouldn’t have any other tool if I was given a choice.***

These are finely some good solid questions without personal BS.
    Thank you for your simple warm approach.
    I personally feel the USA and UK military should go back to the .308.

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com
    The best Japanese and Mexican Bugei in Dallas !

Likes (received)

Thanks for clearing that up Kamiyama.Your reasoning more then holds up water.So it's one small bag with the absolut minemum required materials that can be carried by its own if mobility and speed are required and a bigger bag with more longterm stuff in it. Ok.

About 7.62 vs 5.56 I would have to say that it depends on what you require. Each ammo has it's strengths and of course weakneses.
    I'll have to go now (work and then 2hours at the dojo) but as soon as I can i'll post you a list with what I think aare the pro's and con's of each diammeter.

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Default Well...

Two words Duct TApe, all you need is duct tape!!! Oh and Tang, they took that to the moon.

Lance Boggs
    Lance Boggs

"The man who can most truly be accounted brave is he who best knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and what is terrible, and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come."

Pericles

Likes (received)

Ralph,

What about some form of a GPS system, maybe in connection with a palm pilot? Lots of survival data can be stored on a palm pilot....
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Default always

What about some form of a GPS system, maybe in connection with a palm pilot? Lots of survival data can be stored on a palm pilot....

Mr John, I agree both of these are great.

Three of the guys here training have GPS. I do not. They drive me nuts telling me where I are all the time.

Great input guys.

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

shikoyama Guest

"Ralph,

What about some form of a GPS system, maybe in connection with a palm pilot? Lots of survival data can be stored on a palm pilot...."

WOW! that's the first really good reason for having a palm pilot I've ever heard! They're great for storing large amounts of information, text and pics, and are very compact. I have not really seen a need for one in my everyday life, with computers all around, but as a tool in a bug out bag . . . YES!!

Likes (received)

Default always

One of the instructors here at the kamiyama dojo was chating to me about fuzzy palm pilots and said...

"There has been a fair amount of discussion about PDAs (Palm Pilot) on survival news group on the web. Also about GPS. One side thinks that a catastrophe would take out satellites and electricity forever, and that neither would be of any use in the post-holocost world. The other side likes gadgets and points out the ability of the PDA to store a lot of info, and solar panels to recharge electronic devices.

I am split between the two positions. If you have a PDA, or GPS, or a notebook computer for that matter, it is little trouble to pack it in the car when you leave, and use the technology while it lasts. They would be excess weight and bulk for ecape on foot, and even with the PDA, there is a concern about durability, battery life and recharging. But, if you already have a PDA, it makes good sense to have software and data loaded on memory cards that you could carry along and load when needed. I think that there are many things of much greater importance than PDA, or GPS that should take precedence in budgeting survival equipment.

One use I see for technology is the ability to store a lot of personal records on CD. Electronic copies of birth certificates, credit cards, drivers license, deeds, insurance papers and other important documents, could be encrypted and kept on a CD in the bug-out bag. These could be of great utility in reconstructing one's life following a disaster that does not totally end civilization.

The vast library of information, communications and encryption technology available with a notebook computer and a few CDs open interesting avenues for someone conducting operations in a functioning urban or rural environment. Techno-Ninja, if you will."

Thanks Skip.

Some very good information.

Maybe if you do not wish to put onto a disk or have a fuzzy palm pilot you might wish to put information on lamentable cards in code.

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

Default GPS!!?

I work with wildland search and rescue out here, when I have the time,anyway, and we have had numerous calls from people wih GPS and cell phones that know exactly where they are(from the GPS) and are just as "lost" as if they didn't.The GPS is a mighty fine tool, but it's just numbers if you don't know how to get from point"A" to point "B." Back east, I grew up in a family of longtime sailors, and we learned to navigate the old fashioned way.

Bottom line: learn to read a map and use a compass, people; satellites signals fail, but the stars in the sky and the earth's magnetic field will always be there-if they're not, you're bug out bag isn't going to be much good, anyway.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Default always

The gods have gave us stars.. how true..
    I will always agree to have the simple skills of tenmon and chimon over other means like the GPS.

I have a book by Hatsumi sensei that covers reading the stars for direction.

BUGOUT BAGS are not for hiking or camping.
    BUGOUT BAGS are not for fighting terrorism.
    BUGOUT BAGS are not for running off your mother-in-law.
    BUGOUT BAGS are not for running off into the hills with.

They are for unseen emergency, protection, first aid, food and water when you don't have it...!!!
    Hatsumi sensei has said over and over.. a ninja is never surprised...
    Meaning.. if I may.. have your BS together...

SEAL IT.. PACK IT, AND PUT IT AWAY FOR A RAINY DAY..even in the UK!
    poetic..

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

shikoyama Guest

Default Re: GPS!!?

Originally posted by elder999
    I work with wildland search and rescue out here, when I have the time,anyway, and we have had numerous calls from people wih GPS and cell phones that know exactly where they are(from the GPS) and are just as "lost" as if they didn't.The GPS is a mighty fine tool, but it's just numbers if you don't know how to get from point"A" to point "B." Back east, I grew up in a family of longtime sailors, and we learned to navigate the old fashioned way.

Bottom line: learn to read a map and use a compass, people; satellites signals fail, but the stars in the sky and the earth's magnetic field will always be there-if they're not, you're bug out bag isn't going to be much good, anyway.
    Basically . . . there are some people that just should not be out there!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Neil Richardson

No, it has nothing to do with martial arts per se. Would you expect to learn about survival and firearms in an Aikido or Karate class? No? Then why is it ok in the x-kans in your mind?

Off to collect some nettles for a brew, soup and to make some cordage.
    Neil.
    ninja zanzon ho must remind something...
    Paolo Rossi
    Italy

Likes (received)

Default always

This weekend I took 14 people out for training in the deep woods with me on a escape and evasion, survival trip for 5 hours of very hard and fast training.

We all are going to the same place but on a different path.
    These people took the time and effort to take the step onto that path..

Effort..
    Will power..........

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

Default gps etc

hi,

from my experience, it's fool not to be able to use modern technology equipment. the same way it is not being able to cope without them. manly for battery shortage... if you are a squad in a survival situation, a solar cell electricity supplier is a must-have. more or less the same when you travel abroad with your mobile-that-has-filed-everywhere and you don't have the plug adapter...

gps is great also when you're able to read a map and when you're out of the woods, otherwise... one must practice and practice with both instruments (techs and chimon tenmon)...

my two cents...
    Paolo Rossi
    Italy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast