Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: always training for uncertain times in USA

Likes (received)

Default very interesting

Perhaps four of five years ago I might have breezed over this post. In the early 1980's my training shared outdoorsmanship and tracking side by side with taijutsu. In the 1990's Bujinkan training evolved (as it should) and set those lessons aside. I've been fine with that and though I've gotten the odd question, most of my students have little interest.

Yet, with realities of Sept 11, I've a bit different mindset.

Ultimately, this thread intrigued me (even if it started a bit odd). While I agree with the fact that much of the BOB lessons do NOT belong inside a training hall, I believe that there is GREAT value in the knowledge and adaptabilty that comes from this training. I highly recommend that teachers learned outdoor/survival skills share them with their students via seminars and workshops (but NOT in regular class).

For those of you out there with pda's here'a a battery solution for the great outdoors:
    http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/iPAQ/...larCharger.htm

Regards,
    Joe

PS, If the sh&t ever hit the fan, I wouldn't mind Ralph riding shotgun (pun intended)...
    Joe Maurantonio, Shidoshi
    Bujinkan New York Dojo
    Ninpo: Wisdom For Life (Editor)

Moko Guest

Default Fine lines

I think the problem here with this thread and with this type of training is not so much the fact that it's being done as much as the fact that Ralph is (Uncharacteristically, of course) bragging about it.
    It could be argued that the Tokgakure ryu started in this sort of a manner.

I am not going to tell how I feel about this type of training. I will tell you that any type of serious training should not be undertaking by amateurs. The teachers who teach us any skill should be SMEs. And I'm not talking about JUST army/survivalist types skills. Dorks with cam and daytime jobs are liabilities in the woods until trained. Training for five hours is great. What a fine start. Now it's breakfast time, you have 30 minutes and let's keep going.

Anytime we have a problem or want some proper training. we go to experts. Seems here in E-Budo the experts are on video, (How Cool) everywhere else the experts are in person. Just like going to the dentist with a knocking in your car and hoping he can fix it. Or making a phone call to the dentist and hoping he can fax you the root canal.

Good luck learning from a Dork in cam or a video. Texas is too far away for me to worry about saving your butt. Or search parties finding you in aerial searches when your dead body is looking keen in tiger cam!

The main problem with this thread, and what Ralph is doing with it, is telling people about it. I would instead NOT let anyone know what I'm doing in the bush. Save it for your senior students, the ones you can trust.

This is my opinion and I'm sure several of you will think I'm wrong.

Likes (received)

Default always

Knowing this is a forum about ninjutsu and the methods of the training of students involved in the arts..I feel it is my responsibility to pass on ideas old and new to others. I feel this is the spirit of the Bujinkan and any non-sheepeople in general.
    And I can’t agree more, amateurs shouldn’t under take this type of self-preservation training without proper instruction.
    Many people I train with and help are just normal laymen. Many are firemen, policemen, computer dorks, painters and school teachers. Just plain people around the Dallas area. Nothing more than what they were 200, 400, 600, 800 years ago in Japan. Trying to live a normal life in a land of hate and greed.
    Being a guide or trainer, What should I say to these nice people who want to be able to defend them selves against the odds if I were not willing to put effort into their self-preservation training ?
    I could say I can’t train you because you are a “liability” ?
    What kind of person would I be if I didn’t step up to the post and do my part ?
    And what if I didn’t or did trust those people to do the right thing with the information I passed on to them ?

I feel it is the responsibility of trainers in all arts of self-preservation to guide others into liberation and self awareness.

If you do not care for or dislike training of this kind that’s ok by me. Why be so negative?

Moko, are you saying I'm not skilled or experienced in these skills?
    Or are you saying that I'm not able to teach these skills ?
    Your post is unclear.

Please let me hear what you know about my training and experience.

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com
    The best Japanese and Mexican Bugei in Dallas !

Likes (received)

Moko Guest

Default My POV

Joe,

From way out here, the stuff looks like it was/is prepared for the masses to reduce suffering at a city wide level. Good start for beginners and soccer moms. It's also written in a non-gloomy sort of a prose. It has nothing about how to scratch build a body bag for example. No discussions rationalizing cannibalism either. Hehehe.

Ralph,

If you think my post is unclear, reread it. It is more lucid than twenty of your rambling triades.

Likes (received)

Default always

Robert Pfuetzenreuter,
    You promulgate the very obtuse knowledge only you could have on this very subject.
    Thanks for your input because such a grasp on ninjutsu is encouraging enough for me to ponder your state of mind. What ever that might be.

I can't find any meaningful post from you on this subject. So why trouble yourself?

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

I just gotta add my $0.02 worth here, it's gotten outta hand.

First off, this is the exact same kind of paramilitary sh*t that makes American *kan training retarded - you want survival skillz? Join the military or visit a camp in Boulder, CO. It dilutes the training to be teaching this anti-terrorist/paramilitary stuff to students who think they are studying a classical Koryu. This is like the Shadows of Ignorance people in the 80's training in military fatigues - what the frig? Funny thing too, most of those dudes have never been in the military.

You want to lose weight and feel good about yourself? Go join a health club.

You want backwoods survival training? Kerr-rrissst, go to Parris Island.

And this crap about "our school is a tight knit family...". Gimme a friggin break. Martial arts training isn't a team sport. Obviously someone is making up for something they wish they had/don't have. Why don't you spend more time learning to speak Japanese, so that you don't have to rely on poor english translations, or to improve and enrich your training when in Japan? Oh wait - you don't need to go to Japan - going to the source - 'cuz you think yer gonna learn over 2,000 years of Ninpo arts by not speaking the language and staying stateside, pretending to be a part of the <insert your state's militia here>.

Some of these *kan dojo have become almost cult like. Then again, Branch Davidians were right down the street from you there in Waco, right Ralph?

I'm not saying it's invaluable to have these skills - but there's a place for that sort of thing, and I don't think it's in a Budo school.

Just my $0.02 worth.

<lurk mode enabled>

-T

Likes (received)

Synik,

Kind of sad that you are willing to come here and lay out your disatisfaction of what others are doing, but are not willing to post with your full name as is our policy.

What exact harm does it do you personally if someone else wishes to do something that you don't? This is a question I ask myself more and more when I see these kinds of posts.

So many folks out there telling others what is and isn't right...telling others that they don't get it...telling others what their priorities should be.

Oh well...thats humanity for ya...

Its ok to say that you don't agree...its ok even to say why. Its not ok to insult others for their differences. Of course we all do it...I just killed a thread that I started that got out of hand due to my emotional response to some issues that I disagree with...just something to think about.
    Michael Stinson

Phoenix Quest Center
    www.phoenixquestcenter.com

AlecWire Guest

(Delurking...)

I find it pretty funny that no-one's yet said "Wait a sec - none other than Sharp Phil is agreeing with Ralph Severe. Maybe I should stop and think about whether Mr. Severe has something important to impart here..."

I'm not a practicioner of Nimpo or Ninjitsu, but even with my admittedly limited reading on the subject, it seems to me that if you're emulating a group of people whose lives depended on preparedness and knowledge of the fundaments of survival under adverse conditions, perhaps you should emulate more of their lifestyle than their martial skills.

Moko, have you given any thought to the possibility that there are people without credentials who, by dint of experience, are more qualified to teach others than people who have quite possibly done the minimum and gotten the piece of paper that certifies them to teach?

Oh, and (just my humble opinion here) anyone with a low post count and an I'm-so-kewl misspelling of the word "cynic" as their username spouting that kind of negative garbage is a troll and should be dismissed out of hand. (Then again, I've got a low post count and a wannabe-kewl username...)

-Alex

(Flame armor up, lurk coocoon enabled)

Likes (received)

Default always

For your information Tony, Hatsumi sensei has given me the right to teach the Bujinkan skills as I see fit that are in harmony with my situation, environment and the society in which I live in.

If you feel I am doing something incorrect then please corret me. But first you should state your name and ranking in the Bujinkan that gives you the righ to do so.

Other than that what you know about me is just your opinion from hear say or from a forum.

thank you,

kamiyama, ralph severe
    Dallas Ninjutsu Academy
    www.artofcombat.com

Likes (received)

I think the problem here with this thread and with this type of training is not so much the fact that it's being done as much as the fact that Ralph is (Uncharacteristically, of course) bragging about it.
    To be honest,sometimes Ralph comes across to me as if he is advertising for his school and it's methods. BUT, I also have to consider that we all need feedback and discussion whether it's positive or negative. No one lives in a cave and it's good to interact with your peers. One must also consider the fact that Hatsumi S. has given Ralph the go ahead to do his thing as he sees fit in 'Texico' (perhaps sharing an artist's kinship)
    The bottom line is What Ralph is presenting to his students is in my opinion 100% in keeping with the spirit of Ninpo. It's also a civicly responisble subject to discuss and very timely. Somebody has to shoulder the paranoia and the "what if" scenarios. Don't forget that the Rodney King spawned LA riots and the "Orgy of Looting" in Iraq could be at your doorstep in a single days disaster. as long as Nukes, SARS, Dirty Bombs, Anthrax, Small Pox, and islamic fundamentalists set on Jihad, exists in the world, a pinch of paranoid preparation never hurt anyone. Keep it up, Kamiyama!

Takamatsu Sensei said that the three traits of the Ninja were:
    Effort
    Honesty
    an interest in everything
    Greg Caplinger
    Gekka Dojo
    GWBNF/KJJR

"Shin-gi-tai-ichi"

Likes (received)

Mr. Kamiyama can teach folk dancing and how to play spin the bottle in his dojo if he so chooses to it's his right to do so.
    As it is his students right to stay and learn or leave and find some othes teacher. I can not understand these attacks in an electronic community which is base on discussion and the sharing of information. I personaly do not agree with mr.Kamiyama however I agree less with these kind of slanderus attack's, sir's kindly treat people with some manner of civility.
    Keep to the way of the warrior

Mc'pherson Lee

shikoyama Guest

Originally posted by AlecWire
    (Delurking...)

Moko, have you given any thought to the possibility that there are people without credentials who, by dint of experience, are more qualified to teach others than people who have quite possibly done the minimum and gotten the piece of paper that certifies them to teach?

Hey Licker,

Are you aware that there are people out there whose actual skill and knowledge goes way beyond their "paper credentials"? Kamiyama sensei IS one of those individuals, and any of his students (those people that actually have direct experience with him) will strongly support that opinion. I find the increadible variety of topics we study in the Kamiyama dojo a real bonus. We do study the more "traditional" aspects of the art, but there is also a strong emphasis on how this training can make our life in this world and time better (which is really the point, in my opinion). I just complete the concealed carry training here in Utah and I will honestly say that the firearms training I got in Kamiyama's special classes was many times more valuable and quite a bit less expensive. The main benifit of the survival training (ie, bug-out bags) is that you get so many more ideas about what to pack and why and what kinds of situations you might encounter than if you just relied on your own thoughts and research. In this respect ninpo training really is a team effort (but surely not a sport).

"Oh, and (just my humble opinion here) anyone with a low post count and an I'm-so-kewl misspelling of the word "cynic" as their username spouting that kind of negative garbage is a troll and should be dismissed out of hand. (Then again, I've got a low post count and a wannabe-kewl username...)"

Well, in my humble opinion, I find what you say niether humble nor cool. Mostly just an expression of YOUR true ignorance. This must be why you prefer to hide (errr . . . "lurk", as you put it).

AlecWire Guest

*sigh*

Shikoyama, I don't think you read my post very carefully. I was agreeing with you. The text you quote was me trying to distill essentially what you're saying in that first long paragraph of yours into a very few sentances. If I was unclear, I apologize.

-Alex

Moko Guest

Default Perusing versus Reading

I don't think too many people are reading some of these posts well. Re read mine. I don't slam Ralph. Why bother?
    I say, and I'm typing this S L O W L Y, that if you're going to embark in this type of training, get a pro to teach it.
    Simple ¤¤¤¤ really.

Is Ralph a pro in all the things he claims to know and teach? Of course not! Does he have Instructor ratings in all these topics? NO! Is this Honest? I doubt it. Do his students care? Nope they keep paying. And that is what this is all about.

Is Survivalism a part of Ninjutsu? I'm not sure. Part of Ninpo? possibily. Can Ralph do as he pleases? Yeah. Common sense won't stop him from teaching MMA and calling it Budo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast