Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Aiki Kogeki/ Emonodori

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Quote from Scripture

Originally posted by szczepan
    What is funny, Donn Draeger is sometimes The reference for Bujutsu, and sometimes neither practical nor well-read historian, interesting, no?
    I think that's knee-jerk on the part of us Draeger-lovers. I recall that when Draeger published, there was...Bruce Tegner! Yuck.

Draeger set the standard. He made his mistakes, but what he did so upped the ante on martial arts writing so much that it's very easy to forgive him. Robert Smith, his early collaborator on Asian Fighting Arts, says that Draeger got sort of closed minded in his older age. But he was still correcting himself. Cf his treatment of Zen in kenjutsu in 1974 where they were seemingly the same thing(Classical Budo) with that of 1982 (Japanese Swordsmanship) where he qualifies the seemingly sacrosance Takuan as counseling Taoism (!) rather than Zen.

But you're right, szczepan, he did make his mistakes.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

In very known video Kondo sensei explains first series of techniques in Daito ryu.
    First technique is ippondori. He explains that one face a somebody armed in sword who is going to cut shomen and then suddenly we hear :
    The technique is to responde to this attack with empty hands. Looks like he seriously thinks he can face swordsmen. May be he's never seen a scary koryu swordsman? Or he misunderstood hidden meaning of this kata?
    regardz

Szczepan Janczuk

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 30th March 2014 at 01:17.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Well Nathan, if Mr. S. ever bothered to get out more, he would know what you just said...Kondo Sensei is **very** clear in his seminars about this point. He also advocates not doing sloppy technique against strikes and kicks (read, too close a maai) because doing so disrespects karateka. But some people like taking pot shots so much, they disregard reason, and ettiquite. Oh Well,

RT

Likes (received)

Hi Nathan,
    I understand point about stabbing. But key element in this technique(as well as in all tachidori) is how to enter under the striking sword. How to close ma ai. I imagine, that students are learning this element?
    It is also said, that all secrets(principles) of ryu are contained in first series of kata. So if ippondori is not for real, a fake, how students can learn right principles?

All this is very confusing...

It is like in sword practice - some ppl practice with false ma-ai(much bigger that necessery), they say for "safety" reason. They will never learn anything.

Ron, relax. I've never said thet Kondo sensei practice sloppy techniques.
    regardz

Szczepan Janczuk

Likes (received)

Smile reply to Ippondori

I don't think that Nathan (Nathan, please correct me if I am wrong) is saying that Ippondori is fake, but rather better applied when you have another weapon and, in this case, when you have studied it for 40 years or the equivalent in experience. I think one reason for Kondo Sensei's demonstration of Ippondori is to highlight the importance of this technique with regards to the Mainline Daito-ryu. I know for a fact that he emphasizes the importance of practicing this technique over and over again every time we see him. From my experiences, Ippondori against any weapon (tanto, bokken, Iaito, etc.) is very scary and produces an adrenalin rush that is difficult to manage.

I can't describe the feeling I had when I faced Kondo Sensei with an Iaito in the Shinbukan dojo, but I think I got the point. It is a very difficult technique to master, one that takes a lifetime of dedication and study. When performed against someone with skill, you will lose.

My understanding of Ippondori is that there are many principles and lessons contained within this one technique. Through continuous training these can be discovered and learned. If nothing else this technique teaches rei, maai, metsuke, kokyu, kozushi and zanshin. Hardly a waste of time to study and definitely not fake (IMO its just damn near impossible to complete).
    Your's in health,
    Brian Wagner
    Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

Likes (received)

Originally posted by szczepan
    [snip]
    It is like in sword practice - some ppl practice with false ma-ai(much bigger that necessery), they say for "safety" reason. They will never learn anything.[snip]
    Wouldn't that invalidate many JSA (TSKSR springs to mind as a classic example)? Are you implying that the daiashi/hanashi method of transmission doesn't work for teaching effective combative skills, while allowing kata to be visible by 'people outside of the fold'?

Be well,
    Jigme

(spelling corrected)
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by kenkyusha

Wouldn't that invalidate many JSA (TSKSR springs to mind as a classic example)? Are you implying that the daiashi/hanashi method of transmission doesn't work for teaching effective combative skills, while allowing kata to be visible by 'people outside of the fold'?

Be well,
    Jigme

(spelling corrected)
    I don't pactice that, so can't say is it validate for them.

In my opinion one can't learn how to swim in empty pool, by wayving hands and legs in different directions.
    IMO all elements must be present, correct ma-ai, contact, feeling of exchage(giving/receiving), correct angles, everything. Otherwise it will be castrated sword work.
    regardz

Szczepan Janczuk

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8