Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Masaki ryu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bakumatsu View Post
    Can anyone provide some additional insight into the Masakiryu? I have a copy of a Japanese language book written by Nawa sensei who has taught Masakiryu in Tokyo for many years.
    I was told by a member of the board of directors of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai that although Nawa sensei asked to join their organization but they had to politely turn him away after conducting some research.

Nawa sensei did properly learn from his father, but that there were problems with the lineage. More specifically there was a blank in that line of Masaki-ryu, a period of time between two of the previous headmasters whose lives did not overlap, thus the accurate transmission of the school from one generation to the next was in doubt.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bakumatsu View Post
    Hi;

Can anyone provide some additional insight into the Masakiryu? I have a copy of a Japanese language book written by Nawa sensei who has taught Masakiryu in Tokyo for many years.

I am particularly interested in chain arts such as manriki-kusari and kusarigama. Are any of his students actively teaching Masakiryu or jutte-jutsu in the US?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge about e-budo.com. I’m a new member and would welcome any help.

Ed Harris
    Hello my name is Herb Mowery i am writing to tell to check out Robert Gruzanski-he posts on here from time to time and is a good friend of mine
    his father is one of the few english speaking students of Nawa sensei and his book "The spike and chain "was amazing for it's time you should check with him about chain arts as he has a wealth of knowegde his father passed on to him.
    Sincerely;
    Herb
    WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AORUND.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Beaubien View Post
    I was told by a member of the board of directors of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai that although Nawa sensei asked to join their organization but they had to politely turn him away after conducting some research.

Nawa sensei did properly learn from his father, but that there were problems with the lineage. More specifically there was a blank in that line of Masaki-ryu, a period of time between two of the previous headmasters whose lives did not overlap, thus the accurate transmission of the school from one generation to the next was in doubt.
    What Ron mentions seems to be what the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten implies on its lineage chart on page 778 for the ryu. There is a dotted line between the 7th head Handa Sakujiro and the 8th head Watanabe Kenji, this dotted line usually equals a gap in time or gap in transmission. So Watanabe might be a chuko-no-so for the ryu.

Thanks Ron for that info!
    Eric Weil
    "Kuji first, Taijutsu last"

Likes (received)

Default Masaki Ryu lineage

I just wanted to know if anyone has a lineage for this Ryu. I only have the founder and Nawa sensei. I also understand that Nawa sensei split this ryu into four branches.

I would greatly appreciate any info.

Likes (received)

Masaki ryu seems to be known as an old art but also as part of multi discipline systems.

Since this is the koryu forum, I think we should discuss here koryu lines and not lines that are incorporated in these multi discipline schools, despite the tendency to present them as koryu lines, which is misleading. With that I don’t want to judge any-one or anything but I just think it is different.

On Masaki ryu, I am not an expert and can not comment with any authority but I did come across Masaki Ryu Fukuhara-ha Kusarigamajutsu once. Apparently this is transmitted together with Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo. Whether it is an official line or not, I also can’t comment but I enjoyed watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxailvILmig
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buyens View Post
    Masaki ryu seems to be known as an old art but also as part of multi discipline systems.

Since this is the koryu forum, I think we should discuss here koryu lines and not lines that are incorporated in these multi discipline schools, despite the tendency to present them as koryu lines, which is misleading. With that I don’t want to judge any-one or anything but I just think it is different.

On Masaki ryu, I am not an expert and can not comment with any authority but I did come across Masaki Ryu Fukuhara-ha Kusarigamajutsu once. Apparently this is transmitted together with Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo. Whether it is an official line or not, I also can’t comment but I enjoyed watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxailvILmig

"The Masaki Ryu, taught in conjunction with the Suio Ryu

This kusarigama tradition has its roots in the techniques of manrikikusari developed by Masaki Taro Dayu. It was then passed down until the 9th Soke of the Suio Ryu Fukuhara Shinzaemon Kagenori devised arts of kusarigama from the manrikigusari techniques. From this time the Masaki Ryu has been transmitted in conjunction with the Suio Ryu.
    The body of the kusarigama is roughly 40cm in length with a chain of approximately 2.5 meters. The blade portion is 15 cm in length and is sharp on its 3 protruding edges.
    The tradition contains a total of 16 kata in the Omote and Ura sections all of which are performed in a highly realistic manner. A real kusarigama has a steel weight, which is swing by the chain, however for safety’s sake a less dangerous substitute is used in practice. The techniques include receiving the opponent’s blade with the chain portion, wrapping the opponent’s body and weapon, receiving the opponent’s blade with the body portion and then wrenching it away or stealing it. In particular striking the opponent with the weight portion is deemed the most effective.

Through actually seeing the techniques of the tradition, not just the kusarigama, I think you will be able to understand everything. The simplicity of the techniques that you will see represent the characteristics of the Suio Ryu. This painful simplicity is the essence of the Suio Ryu and the essence of my path."

Bu creates the Man
    By Katsuse Yoshimitsu

(Katsuse Yoshimitsu is the 15 Soke of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo and 12th Soke of the Masaki Ryu)

For more information on Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo please visit our website:

http://suioryu-usa.org/
    Last edited by Kusarigama; 25th May 2010 at 11:25.
    Britt Nichols
    Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo® USA Shibu

AiTe wa Baka Ja Nai

Likes (received)

Thank you for your information. It is an interesting connection between the Suio Ryu and Masaki Ryu.

Likes (received)

I found exactly what I was looking for here

http://www.robertg.com/yumio.htm

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shininobi View Post
    I found exactly what I was looking for here

http://www.robertg.com/yumio.htm
    You should be aware that there were apparently problems with Nawa Yumio's Masaki-ryu lineage. I do not know the specifics of the situation, but I was told by one of the directors of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai that Masaki-ryu under Nawa sensei was denied entry to the organization.

More specifically, I was told that although Nawa sensei did properly learn from his father, further back in the lineage there was a break and so the school under Nawa Sensei was not allowed to join their organization unfortunately.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Ron Beaubien

Likes (received)

Thank you for your information. I will research the matter further.

Likes (received)

More re: Masaki-ryu. Interesting stuff re: the founder's ki, sumo and other research as well!

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=429

Likes (received)

Just yesterday, by chance not associated with this thread, I heard sad new, that Laszlo Abel, the person interviewed in the article Chris linked, suddenly died last year. He was about 55 years old. He was driving down a road, felt odd, pulled over and died of a stroke.

Laszlo was a remarkable guy. He trained in Masaki-ryu, Tenjin Shinyo-ryu and some kind of kenjutsu. He was a demon researcher - he could ferret out the most tiny bits of obscure information. For example, he not only found the grave, but also the landlady of Charles Perry, an American who briefly studied Daito-ryu with Takeda Sokaku in appr. 1905.

Laszlo was one of the most pugnacious guys I ever met, particularly when he'd had a few. (he was legend in some bars in Kabukicho, from what I remember). He was also very secretive, almost reclusive, very protective of his sources and his own research. Stanley Pranin, at his widow's request, is going to publish several of his essays, one of which has just put up on the Aikido Journal Website

Altogether, a refreshingly unique guy - he had a genius for research like nobody I've ever known - and evenings drinking with him were always an experience. I'm sorry that he's gone.

Ellis Amdur

Likes (received)

RIP - that's really too bad.

Likes (received)

Laszlo Abel was the first Australian to study with Hatsumi Masaaki in his Bujinkan system, although, as outlined in that interview, he moved on to study other systems.

I look forward to reading more of his research in time.

May he rest in peace.

With respect
    Dean Whittle
    Sydney, Australia
    www.ninjutsuaustralia.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis Amdur View Post
    Just yesterday, by chance not associated with this thread, I heard sad new, that Laszlo Abel, the person interviewed in the article Chris linked, suddenly died last year. He was about 55 years old. He was driving down a road, felt odd, pulled over and died of a stroke.

Laszlo was a remarkable guy. He trained in Masaki-ryu, Tenjin Shinyo-ryu and some kind of kenjutsu.
    I believe he trained in Shindo Munen-ryu under Ogawa Takeshi sensei. I've seen a picture of them training together before. Perhaps it was even in the print edition of the Aiki News when that interview was originally published.

I am sorry to hear that he is gone. I really enjoyed reading many of the articles he had written.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast