Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suio-ryu iai-kenpo

Likes (received)

Default Suio-ryu iai-kenpo

Hi All,

Suio Ryu study groups are now being established in Anaheim, California, and San Deigo, California. Lead by 15th soke Katsuse-Sensei, the Suio-Ryu contains teachings in iaijutsu (sword drawing), naginatajutsu (halberd), kusarigamajutsu (chain and sickle), Jojutsu (short staff), Kogusoku (semi-armoured grappling) and Wakizashi (short sword). For more information please contact Brian Stokes at www.SuioRyuUSA@aol.com.

Thanks,

Brian Stokes

Yamantaka Guest

Question Re: Suio Ryu Study Groups in US

Originally posted by Brian Stokes
    Hi All,
    Suio Ryu study groups are now being established in Anaheim, California, and San Deigo, California. Lead by 15th soke Katsuse-Sensei, the Suio-Ryu contains teachings in iaijutsu (sword drawing), naginatajutsu (halberd), kusarigamajutsu (chain and sickle), Jojutsu (short staff), Kogusoku (semi-armoured grappling) and Wakizashi (short sword). For more information please contact Brian Stokes at www.SuioRyuUSA@aol.com.
    Thanks,
    Brian Stokes
    YAMANTAKA : Dear Mr. Stokes,
    What is the difference between an affiliated dojo and a study group? At what level the Suio Ryu gives a teaching authorization?
    Best regards and a good keiko

Likes (received)

Default Affliated Dojo vs Study Group

Dear Ubaldo,

Interesting question. From MY perspective an affilated dojo is one where there is a licensed teacher who teaches class AND his/her dojo is recognized as such by the Ryu. Our study group consists of individuals who have been training in the Suio Ryu, both in the US and Japan, have been accepted by the Hombu as students, but who meet to share their expertise with others and amongst themselves -- students helping students -- big brother/little brother; There is no "teacher" present.

I hope this makes sense. Actually, last month while some of us were in Japan, Soke Katsuse offered to establish the Anaheim dojo of Yamazaki Sensei as the Hombu for Suio in the US but we politely turned him down. Those of us present at that time felt that our skills in the Suio Ryu were not of a quality to appropriately represent ourselves as "practioners" of this fine school. Maybe next year.

Thanks for your interest,

Brian Stokes

Yamantaka Guest

Thumbs up Re: Affliated Dojo vs Study Group

Dear Ubaldo,

Interesting question. From MY perspective an affilated dojo is one where there is a licensed teacher who teaches class AND his/her dojo is recognized as such by the Ryu. Our study group consists of individuals who have been training in the Suio Ryu, both in the US and Japan, have been accepted by the Hombu as students, but who meet to share their expertise with others and amongst themselves -- students helping students -- big brother/little brother; There is no "teacher" present.I hope this makes sense.

YAMANTAKA : It does. Thank you very much for your answer.

Actually, last month while some of us were in Japan, Soke Katsuse offered to establish the Anaheim dojo of Yamazaki Sensei as the Hombu for Suio in the US but we politely turned him down. Those of us present at that time felt that our skills in the Suio Ryu were not of a quality to appropriately represent ourselves as "practioners" of this fine school. Maybe next year.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Brian Stokes
    YAMANTAKA : I think that shows your credibility and your seriousness, Brian San. By the way, is your dojo in Anaheim affiliated with Kiyoshi Yamazaki Sensei, of the Ryobukan? I have the greatest respect for him and for Howard High Sensei.
    Best regards and always a good keiko

Likes (received)

Default Suio Ryu and Anaheim

Hi Ubaldo-San,

You are right on target! It is indeed Yamazaki Kiyoshi Sensei's dojo to which I speak. It was through his efforts that we were able to make a formal connection with the Suio Ryu. However, Yamazaki Sensei is not himself involved in training. He is, however, one of our two connections with Katsuse Soke. The other is Antony Cundy of Kendo World.

Have a great day!

Brian Stokes

Yamantaka Guest

Unhappy Re: ANTHONY CUNDY AND KAGE RYU

Hi Ubaldo-San,
    You are right on target! It is indeed Yamazaki Kiyoshi Sensei's dojo to which I speak. It was through his efforts that we were able to make a formal connection with the Suio Ryu. However, Yamazaki Sensei is not himself involved in training. He is, however, one of our two connections with Katsuse Soke. The other is Antony Cundy of Kendo World.
    Have a great day!
    Brian Stokes
    YAMANTAKA : Dear Brian San,
    Sorry to bother you again but could you ask Mr. Cundy, of Kendo World, about this supposed KORYU, that's also being practiced in Brazil :
    http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=13360
    Your help, of course, will be much appreciated.
    Best

Default Re: Re: ANTHONY CUNDY AND KAGE RYU

Originally posted by Yamantaka

YAMANTAKA : Dear Brian San,
    Sorry to bother you again but could you ask Mr. Cundy, of Kendo World, about this supposed KORYU, that's also being practiced in Brazil :

I would say Tony "Shandy" Cundy would be the man to ask about Japanese Koryu. I have known Tony for many years. He was a translator for the Nippon Budokan and and his knowledge on Japanese arts (sword especially) is among the best out there.

Yamantaka Guest

Unhappy Re: Re: Re: ANTHONY CUNDY AND KAGE RYU

Originally posted by Robert Rousselot
    I would say Tony "Shandy" Cundy would be the man to ask about Japanese Koryu. I have known Tony for many years. He was a translator for the Nippon Budokan and and his knowledge on Japanese arts (sword especially) is among the best out there.
    YAMANTAKA : And how may I contact him, Robert San?
    Best

I have sent him this thread and he will most likely contact you via email.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Suio-ryu

Hi All,

I am pleased to let all know that a sanctioned study group of the Suio Ryu has been established in Anaheim, California. This Ryu dates back to 1600 and includes many different weapons. It was made famous in the "Baby Cart" series.

For those interested the group meets at the dojo of Yamazaki Sensei every Saturday from 11:00am to approximately 3:00pm, and Wedensday nights from 7:00pm to 9:00pm. The address is 1512 South Euclid, about 1 mile west of Disneyland.

Please come and join us!

Likes (received)

Default Suio-ryu

For those interested the Suio Ryu Study Group website is up and running. Visit:

www.suioryu-usa.org

Thanks!

Brian Stokes

Likes (received)

Default Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Official Website

Greetings,

The Official Website for Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo in the United States is now on-line.

Please follow this link: http://suioryu-usa.org/

Good training,
    Britt Nichols
    Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo® USA Shibu

AiTe wa Baka Ja Nai

Likes (received)

Default Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo USA Shibu

Hi All!
    Just a few days ago i found this thread:http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36087
    Brian Stokes posted the following:
    FYI - Suio Ryu® and Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo® anr trademarks of the Suio Ryu®, Japan.
    Wow! Is this the future of koryu? Please dont take this as a critic but i am wondering why the Suio Ryu registered there name as a trademark. Yes this is maybe a natural step to avoid misuse but its strange in my eyes.
    Brian, could you please explain why it has been done and where (what countrys?) the ryu is registered as a trademark? And all others, what do you think about it?
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Default Suio Ryu®

Please go to this link to see what has been written in this regard on Iaido-L.

http://listserv.uoguelph.ca/cgi-bin/...0701&L=iaido-l
    Britt Nichols
    Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo® USA Shibu

AiTe wa Baka Ja Nai

Likes (received)

Hi!
    I was aware of this thread:http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36059
    I understand the reasons for registering the name but i would think its important to dicuss a topic like this!
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast