Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: is it myth or not??

Likes (received)

Default is it myth or not??

I heard that japanese swordsman is like cowboy from west regarding speed. I heard or read that they are very fast and accurate in drawing their sword. Is that true or just a myth in novel? And how sharp is japanese sword (shinken) in the past comparing with medieval or western or turk's or chinese swords? well what about this story, master of japanese swordman can cut the flying paper in two pieces or japanese swordman cut man's head and that man still stand with his head then drop down after his sword sheathed or again with incredible speed he can cut a piece of wood with axe but the result came after he left. Hmm....well i just wonder
    Last edited by seskoad; 15th April 2003 at 14:13.
    Umar Sesko A. Tri Hananto
    "high quality single man"
    "low profile but high product"

Likes (received)

Default Oh dear...

Are you for real?

If yes, then I ask you the question if you think that all karate guys can fight like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan can?

If no, then I assume you are a troll.
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Gene Williams Guest

How much chan can Jackie Chan can if Jackie Chan could can chan?

Likes (received)

It is myth only it isn't. You see in the real wild west it wasn't a pure speed contest either. It was accuracy first and foremost. If you fail to hit your target well enough that he cannot hit you, it doesn't matter if you drew first. There is a quote from oen of the famous 'gunslingers' of the west. A real quote from, the real guy that pointed this out. Ray-sensei uses it occasionally, but for the life of me I can't remember the wording or the name of the guy.

Iai is the same way. It isn't about raw speed at the expense of everything else. It is about many things including timing, which is different from raw speed. Above all it is about effective cuts, because if your blade misses your opponent or fails to cut effectively you die. Period. There is little room for error. The other guy has a 30 inch razor blade too.

Now eventually you do reach a point where you can, if the situation demands it, draw very quickly and still deliver a well placed and timely cut. Getting to this point requires an enourmous amount of work at far slower speeds. It is absolutely vital to master the kihon of nukitsuke. Otherwise when you try to go fast it will simply be a sloppy mess that doesn't do you any good.

Don't think speed, think timing.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Default Re: is it myth or not??

Originally posted by seskoad
    I heard that japanese swordsman is like cowboy from west regarding speed. I heard or read that they are very fast and accurate in drawing their sword. Is that true or just a myth in novel? And how sharp is japanese sword (shinken) in the past comparing with medieval or western or turk's or chinese swords? well what about this story, master of japanese swordman can cut the flying paper in two pieces or japanese swordman cut man's head and that man still stand with his head then drop down after his sword sheathed or again with incredible speed he can cut a piece of wood with axe but the result came after he left. Hmm....well i just wonder
    NOTE: I was writing this post as Charles posted...

In hopes that you're no troll, the answer seems to be that moving your hand to your hip and withdrawing a weapon is exactly that. It's impossible and a moot point to compare the two, but with repeated practice, anyone can become accomplished... neither gunslinger nor samurai were particularly fast because they were of those professions, they just practiced and practiced to get that way because their lives depended on it.

If you go into the book reviews thread, you'll see on this page that John Ray posted about one of his favorite budo books, No Second Place Winner, which I have. The book is everything you want to know about what it's like to have your life depend on the speed of the draw. On the advice of my sensei, I bought the book and found it to be entirely down to earth and practical. Yet, there's also a lot of 'do' in the book, as you can clearly see how his personal philosophy is shaped by his focus on his profession. The absolute best piece of advice in the entire book is what he has to say about handling a weapon in both training and real situations: "Take your time, fast."

Pretty good imitation of typical eastern paradoxical aphorism for a Texas lawman if you ask me.

BTW seskoad, easy on the fonts there, killer. My eyes thank you in advance.
    --Neil Melancon--

Gene Williams Guest

Sorry, maybe it is current events, or maybe it is my un-pc thinking, but I am suspicious of people who praise Allah in their signature. It is particularly offensive and un-smart, say stupid, at this point. Semper Fi. Gene

Likes (received)

I don't know. Maybe. My opinion of what is and is not troll behaviour has been modified somewhat by my attendance at Smackdown in H-Town, a USA Martial Arts Association event in Houston a couple of weeks ago. No I didn't compete. Suffice it to say that there really are people out there who don't know any better. I'm not refering to Steve Hunter and his crew.

I tend to see this kinda post in a new light now. Better to give the benefit of the doubt. If it turns out to be a troll post then, we can roast him, till then a little tolerance and indulgence wouldn't hurt.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Gene, if he wants to put Koranic versus in his sig, that's his business. Personally I find it refreshing. Free country and all that. Isn't it? Hard to tell in the days of the USA Patriot Act. Next you'll be calling him un-American.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Gene Williams Guest

Well, Charles, actually he is un-American He is certainly free to put that ¤¤¤¤ in his sig, I just think it is kinda' in your face. Gene

Likes (received)

That would have been the ironic part yes. If people thought of Christianity as imperialistic and represive and overly violent, it would not seem inappropriate for Christians to place quotes from scripture in their sigs. They might see it as in some small way helping to overcome misconceptions ont he parts of other cultures. How is this any different? Do not be so quick to judgement of intent. Intent can be nearly impossible to discern online.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Default Respect?

Originally posted by Gene Williams
    Well, Charles, actually he is un-American He is certainly free to put that ¤¤¤¤ in his sig, I just think it is kinda' in your face. Gene
    I thought we were supposed to respect one another here. It is impossible to argue for or against another persons faith. One can only state things about their own. 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We live by faith, not by sight."
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Likes (received)

Angry

Gene, I am with Charles here. Placing Koranic scripture in his signature is no more or less offensive than placing scripture from any other religious text in ones signature.

I actually find your comments far more un-American. It is not a question of being "un-PC" it is blatant ignorance and religious intolerance. Maybe that sounds a little strong...maybe you should REALLY think about what you wrote.
    Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

Likes (received)

Hey Gene, check out my new sig. If you have a problem with it, tough.

Ron (what, talking about burning mosques wasn't good enough for you? )Tisdale

"There is no god but ALLAH and Muhammad is His messeger/prophet"
    (muslimin's first statement)

Likes (received)

"Fast is fine, accuracy is finer.
    You have to take your time in a hurry."
    -Wyatt Earp
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Likes (received)

That sounds like the quote yes. Thanks.
    Charles Mahan