Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inspiration behind Ryoma

Likes (received)

Post Inspiration behind Ryoma

Hello,

I just wanted to ask a brief question regarding your work about Ryoma. What inspired you to write about him, as opposed to other major historical Japanese figures? There must have been a powerful influence, since you spent 7 years doing research for your book. I am amazed at the amount of time you put into it.

I thought I would confine my question to PM since the other questions on the forum were related more to the subject of your book rather than what led to its creation. I felt that a PM might be more appropriate.

I look forward to your response. Thank you in advance.
    Marie Banken

R Hillsborough Guest

Hi Marie
    Thanks for your interest.
    Your question may seem simple, but the full answer is rather involved. Let it suffice to say here that I was and have been for these past many years fascinated by the history and the people of the final years of the Tokugawa Shogunate. Sakamoto Ryoma is one of several men who particularly interest me. His dedication to freedom and his intense drive to attain that freedom (at least that is how I perceive his life), have both attracted me and made me relate to him personally.

Romulus Hillsborough